Farewell to Iris Chang.

This has affected me deeply today.

I want her work to have some positive repercussions.

Whatever you do in life: endure. Had this woman endured and fought on, she may have helped a broken world to heal. I can understand that she was overcome, though. The world just lost someone that really mattered, and could have mattered more. What a senseless waste.

If you're ever in Nanjing/Nanking stop by the Massacre Memorial.

It's quite sobering...

safong

BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!
It's sad that a person with such an important purpose in life had to die in such a way. But at least she's left something that we can all learn from and that won't die.

:(
Is there any reason not too think that there may be a conspiracy afoot here?
I guess I'm just a suspicious bastid but for a young women 36 years old in her position to do this just doesn't seem right.:(

Yvsa said:
Is there any reason not too think that there may be a conspiracy afoot here?
I guess I'm just a suspicious bastid but for a young women 36 years old in her position to do this just doesn't seem right.:(
see, i agree with you. go read her website, and there really wasn't any depressing undertones in anything to hint @ something like that.

Edit:
nevermind, it appears her site is inaccessible @ this time. :(

Gator:

It actually happened.

The population swell was due to villagers from the surrounding countryside and towns fleeing to the city, refugees Shanghai, and remnants of the chinese military that blended into the population.

Most of the other facts presented on the site you reference have been refuted.

I"m Korean, just go and ask my grandma for first hand stories on what the Japanese occupation was like.

But it's time to move on. Hate shouldn't last for generations, but a country should just suck it up and admit wrong doing.

than we can all start moving on and making sure it doesn't happen again.

The Japanese Army committed many documented attrocitiesthat match the worst that the Nazis committed in "quality" if not quantity. The "Rape of Nanking" has been controversial since I went to school 30+ years ago.

The notion that hundreds of thousands of peasants were flocking INTO Nanking contrary to govenment policy and in the face of justified fear of the Japanese Army and the risks of violent combat has always seemed to me to be doubtful -- especially since I have seen photographs of throngs fleeing the oncoming Japanese.

www.interq.or.jp/sheep/clarex/discovery/discovery03.html

Disclaimer: I really hate conspiracy theories.

Now, then...when I read yesterday that Mrs. Chang had died, the first thing I thought of was, "Who would want her dead?"

Odd. I'm pretty sure that she did indeed kill herself -- the simplest explaination is almost always the correct one and I've seen some pretty "happy" people kill themselves before. Depression is not always advertised and her reasons may have been very, very private. (I've seen people kill themselves over this before, too...no one even knew what was wrong until the letter was read.) But still, it made me think of a moment.

What a shame. :(

If the Japanese wanted to keep her book from being public, they are a tad late.
Still, if you doubt that the Japanese have their own spies and assassins, think again.
Even the vatican has its own intelligence service capable of such things.

In the end, I dont see how anyone could delve so deeply and for so long into such a hideous chapter of human and history and NOT be depressed.

How many smiling faces do you imagine you'd see at the holocaust museum ?

Rusty

Philthy, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I'd never heard of the situation in Bangladesh, which I'm guessing was part of Pakistan South ( whatever you call it ).

Kosovo I don't remember hearing that much of. Kind of hard to top outright genocide, but apparently they did.

Sad tales, but ones that should have attention called to them.

Peace be unto her and her family in its grief.

Rusty said:
Philthy, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I'd never heard of the situation in Bangladesh, which I'm guessing was part of Pakistan South ( whatever you call it ).

Kosovo I don't remember hearing that much of. Kind of hard to top outright genocide, but apparently they did.

Sad tales, but ones that should have attention called to them.

Peace be unto her and her family in its grief.

This is the biggest reason I posted the story on several forums. I wasn't aware of Bangladesh or Kosovo either. I think we should all be aware that this stuff can and will happen in the future. Iris' message should be passed on with her memory. I had a long discussion about how governments with too much power can and will do this in the future, even in North America. I was branded a paranoid conspiracy theorist for suggesting it could happen here.

It won't if we don't let it.

PS: Thanks Kis! :)

Cabbit said:

It actually happened.
I don't doubt rape and killings happened. What I doubt is the scale of what happened.

The population swell was due to villagers from the surrounding countryside and towns fleeing to the city, refugees Shanghai, and remnants of the chinese military that blended into the population.
Doesn't it strike you odd that villagers and other folks went into the city that was about to be occupied by invading army, instead of fleeing that very city?
I'd exepct population to go down may be even 50%(given japanese army reputation) before the army entered the city. Insetad it grew twice or more? I mean if Japanese killed 350 000 people, presumably someone was left alive, so city population apparently went to 400000 or more.
Real strange thing, at least to me.

Most of the other facts presented on the site you reference have been refuted.
Perhaps. I'd be interested to see that info as well. My point was to have opinion from both sides.

Odd that Ms. Chang should commit 'suicide' at exactly the same time that the Japanese, with the blessing and urging of Washington, are about to renounce pacifism and expand the use and prominence of their military on an international level.

Iris Chang also recently wrote an in-depth investigative book on the Chinese missile program.

The real reason for the death of Ms. Chang may lie in her notes and what she was currently working on for her latest writing project.

alf

My grandparents and parents were in China and later in Singapore during the Japanese occupation. Atrocities were commited, the war ended, the Japanese paid dearly.

The human race could be so cruel to itself.

I hope she is in a better place.

alf