Farid Crucible CPM-REX 121 mule project

farid.

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
People have asked on many occasions to see the CPM-REX 121 mule, so here it is, 3/16” thick, 7” overall, flat ground , ¼” hole in the blade for a front lanyard, a ¼” rear lanyard hole and two 3/16” holes for pins. These are just rough ground and not heat-treated or ground to finished size, The finish will be hot rolled scotch bright finish so everyone will have a certain individuality to it.
Thanks for looking
Farid

CPM REX-121 CHEMICAL COMPOSITION
Carbon 3.40 %
Chromium 4.00 %
Vanadium 9.50 %
Tungsten 10.00 %
Cobalt 9.00 %
Molybdenum 5.00 %

004-Copy.jpg

001-Copy.jpg

003-Copy.jpg

002-Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! If I wasn't already on your list for multiple K2 folders in CPM REX 121, I'd be all over this. But I'll ask a quick question anyway: how long is the blade on these? You mentioned that the overall length was 7", and based on that number and the rough ground pics, I'm guessing it's around 3".

How are you, the blade is 3".

Awesome! If I wasn't already on your list for multiple K2 folders in CPM REX 121, I'd be all over this. But I'll ask a quick question anyway: how long is the blade on these? You mentioned that the overall length was 7", and based on that number and the rough ground pics, I'm guessing it's around 3".

Last edited:
PM sent, interested. BTW, what is the target HRC of the finished product?

is this a sale post in the off topic (maybe it should be moved to where you might get more sales )

(oo and not be selling in non sales forum )

I would kindly ask the members to remember that this is Not a sale thread,
This thread is for information only, Not a sale thread, if people keep writing on here ‘ I’m in ‘ I don’t have any control over that.
Thank you all.
F

is this a sale post in the off topic (maybe it should be moved to where you might get more sales )

(oo and not be selling in non sales forum )

I will be doing some testing on cardboard and wood in the next day or two with the very first CPM-REX 121 mule, also I have broken a blade to see the grain structure which I can see is very fine.
I will keep you all updated on my tests.

006.jpg

007.jpg

0042.jpg

008-Copy.jpg

I have done some basic tests with the CPM REX 121 mule to see how it cuts, the first test I carried out was on 3” x 2” dry wood, I cut it up on all 4 sides as you see in the pic, after that some cardboard, what you see is a bunch of cardboard all cut up.
This is only some basic tests but I feel that these CPM-REX 121 blades at 68-70RC can do this much cutting many times over without much wear to the edge. The Blade was ground to a slightly rolled edge at a very shallow angle.
Thanks for looking.
0023.jpg

0052.jpg

0082.jpg

I have done some basic tests with the CPM REX 121 mule to see how it cuts, the first test I carried out was on 3” x 2” dry wood, I cut it up on all 4 sides as you see in the pic, after that some cardboard, what you see is a bunch of cardboard all cut up.
This is only some basic tests but I feel that these CPM-REX 121 blades at 68-70RC can do this much cutting many times over without much wear to the edge. The Blade was ground to a slightly rolled edge at a very shallow angle.
Thanks for looking.
Very cool -- I love how you test, break, and use the blades you make to learn more about the performance of the steels you work with. Any idea, from your preliminary tests and your previous experience with the steel, what a good sharpening angle is going to be for this steel at 68-70 RC?

I would say 13 to 15 degree is what you see on this mule.
take care

Very cool -- I love how you test, break, and use the blades you make to learn more about the performance of the steels you work with. Any idea, from your preliminary tests and your previous experience with the steel, what a good sharpening angle is going to be for this steel at 68-70 RC?

Back