Favorite spyderco for food prep?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Popsickle, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Jake Bauer

Jake Bauer

Sep 19, 2007
    Id say Pac salt too. Wont rust, easy to wash out and just throw in the drawer. No worries.

2. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    I find the Military to be very useful for food prep (though a nice kitchen knife is better). The long blade and FFG makes for great slicing, and the flat spine means you can flip it over and use it to slide what you've chopped or cut neatly off the cutting board.

3. Boozoo Chavis

Boozoo Chavis

Oct 18, 2003
    The Caly 3.5 is a lime slicing machine.

4. Popsickle

Popsickle

Jul 25, 2010
    got an orange military for the job.... figured if im gonna carry a milli at work ill get the brightest one for use in front of non knife people.

5. brj

brj

May 18, 2005
    +1
    The Barong would also fit the bill nicely.
    Personally I keep returning to my FFG Pacific Salt whenever kitchen duty calls (pictured below in good company)

[​IMG]

6. bh49

bh49

Dec 27, 2005
    With all my love to Spyderco folders none of the can outperform thin FFG nicely made Japanese kitchen knives. Fortunately I have Yang, K05, K04, and paring knife. I wish I bought Santoku and Homemaker, when they were available.

7. melt

melt

Nov 20, 2006
    Where did you get that Salt in FFG? Or was it done as a coustom job? I'd like to have that treatment done to mine.

8. brj

brj

May 18, 2005
  9. melt

melt

Nov 20, 2006
    Thank you for the link. Some amazing work.

10. Outdoors Fanatic

Outdoors Fanatic

Sep 6, 2007
    Temperance 2.

11. Flatlander1963

Flatlander1963 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Without question the best Spyderco's for food prep are the VG-10 Yin and Yang. I'm surprised so few thought so too. These are a must in any Spydie Fan's kitchen.
    [​IMG]

12. Outdoors Fanatic

Outdoors Fanatic

Sep 6, 2007
    You forgot about the little fact that's darn nearly impossible to find one today.

13. SaMX

SaMX

Feb 23, 2007
    true, but that's only because they were discontinued after too few people bought them.

IIRC Sal has mentioned the possibility of doing more kitchen knives at some point in the future. I'd really like to see that (and a byrd fixed blade, but that's a topic for another thread)

EDIT: I found the post where Sal was talking about making more kitchen knives
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/722911-spyderco-kitchen-knives

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  14. slight

slight

May 22, 2011
    I thought that h1 COULDNT be ffg?? and my vote if for ffg endura. you can buy all the colors and coordinate with your outfit. hahaha

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe

Feb 14, 2005
    I frequently use the Stretch 2 in VG 10 which is a great design for food prep, the Delica 4 ffg can be used for smaller prep.

16. RATlover

RATlover

Apr 2, 2009
    I used my mule m390 and my military both yesterday. Its nice to have the reach of the military. So i would probably pick the milli over the mule. Both get the job done very well.

17. Hateman

Hateman Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2000
    Any Lum Chinese is the best for my food prep
    Others: Perrin Bowie (really), FFg Endura, Any Caly, and Delica

All tested in my kitchen.

18. 1gailt

1gailt Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2005
    The fixed blade temperance slices like a demon,but my wife likes the BG42 military I reprofiled.When she first tried it she said that knife is so sharp its dangerous.

19. emel

emel

Feb 16, 2011
    My Mrs just loves the VG-10 Spyderco Moran, very sharp and light in the hands. Its shaves after a few strokes on the Ultra fine rods when its a little dull.

20. HaroldB

HaroldB

Dec 9, 2007
    I put an Aqua Salt in my kitchen, and my wife's never given it back. Best "EDK" (every-day-kitchen) blade ever `;-)