Favorite traditionals

u7jjDKF.jpg
New here wanted to see some of you guys favorite traditional knives. I mostly collect GEC so I’ll start with one of mine. Good ol calf pen.

Stockman ... no ... Scout Knife ... no ... Buck 110 ... no ... Old Timer 7OT ... no ... Old Timer 6OT .... no .... the Demo knife ... no ... sunfish ... no ... Barlow ... wait ... canoe ... hold on ... moose ... orzit the two blade slipjoint folding hunter? Or possibly the Victorinox Huntsman? Victorinox Recruit?

Be a lot easier to tell the pattern I like least. That's easy: single blade slipjoint ... I think ... or maybe its the peanut?

Favorite not folding sheath knife (that I own or have owned) is either the venerable Pukkoo or classic Western L66.
Not owned would probably have to be the Buck 103 I suppose. I wanted one a them ever since they first came out in the 1960's. Never had the funds for one. I'm pretty sure I'm finished hunting now, so no point in getting one anymore ... if I'm mistaken, I have plenty of other knives to peel a critter or critters with. :)
A good Sagin Dubu or Scottish Dagger (or Celtic short sword, for that matter) for when I wear my kilt would make more sense/be more practical than a 103 these days.

Everyone is different in their favorites and least favorites. There is no right or wrong.

My favorites are single blade traditional knives. Single blade because they're usually slimmer and ride my pockets better without bulk. Either lockback or folder, half-stop or not ... although I prefer lockback for a couple of reasons. One, safety and two, usually easier to open and close. Clip, drop, spear, sheepfoot, lambsfoot, wharncliffe are my favorite blade shapes.

Liner locks work for me too but aren't favored over lockbacks simple because most are for right handed people and I'm left handed.

I love Barlows but don't carry them often. The ones I have are weighty little two blade chunks.
Stockman, I want to like a lot, I really REALLY do, but just don't find more than one blade that useful to me day to day. Plus I don't have a herd or flock.
I've never even owned a two blade Trapper and I've owned knives for over 60yrs. Never really understood having two similar size blades when one or the other would do.
Maybe the biggest appeal of knives with more than one blade, especially a working knife, is the fact that another blade is handy when one blade becomes dull but that's rarely been a factor for me.

Those are just general favorites and least favorites, there are always examples of exceptions and I probably have one or two of those too.

Last edited:
Favorite pattern is the stockman. I either carry a stockman or a two-blade jack knife with clip and sheepfoot or coping, plus an SAK nearly every day. Sometimes carry a single blade to church on Sunday. Here are a few favorites:

Jumbo
n9W5F9t.jpg

Large
Xkhi2lE.jpg

Medium
TojonmU.jpg

Eureka Jack
jJyzDcR.jpg

Like many of us, my favorite tends to change fairly often. For the last several months I've been leaning more towards lock backs and this little 3 1/8 inch pattern from Weidmannsheil is my current favorite. Some refer to it as the "Pocket Buddy" but I don't know if that's an official name or not.

Weidmannsheil Pair.jpg

I like all my GEC knives but the ones i use the most, for practical reasons, are those ones:

ZqUd7Kgh.jpg

The two i carry the most:

pUyQRYHh.jpg

I consider the Farm & Field line up being the best contribution of GEC to the traditional American cutlery.

Dan.

Last edited:
This is something of a difficult question to me. I have two favorite patterns. First, Victorinox’s 93mm Alox, the Pioneer in particular:

B92969EA-C223-45A4-BB74-1FAA35F64484.jpeg

Second, the “boys knife” pattern, 3 to 3-1/2” single-blade jacks:

695141E5-EE01-44E8-933B-E328816AEB30.jpeg

Do I really have to choose? ;)

My favorite has to be GEC’s 15 pattern. They’ve offered a ton of variety over the years.

Back