Favourite double edge razor blade...

I'd love to see your technique.
1st Sergeant, sir. I set the angle with layers of electrician tape then a paper clip.
Then strop counting 30 pulls on each edge. Using 2 finger pressure. If it's not giving me the shave I expect, I'll give it some 1K grit stone work and 30 more. It then will give me a week's worth of good shaves. I've used this method of tune up on 1blade for 2 yrs. worth of good shaves. DM
20210306_201656.jpg

1st Sergeant, sir. I set the angle with layers of electrician tape then a paper clip.
Then strop counting 30 pulls on each edge. Using 2 finger pressure. If it's not giving me the shave I expect, I'll give it some 1K grit stone work and 30 more. It then will give me a week's worth of good shaves. I've used this method of tune up on 1blade for 2 yrs. worth of good shaves. DM
View attachment 1522213
Thank you. I'll have to give your technique a try.

I tried stropping a brand new Feather blade and enjoyed a nick free shave. I use a Merkur Slant razor and Feather blades are almost always good for a couple of nicks.

I appreciate your reply.

R

You're welcome, sir.
I shaved yesterday with a new Feather blade and had to use my styptic stick on 4 spots. Thus, I got my strop out and pulled 30 on each bevel. I would not doubt my next shave will be buttery smooth and nick free. DM

Last edited:
I mostly use merkur 33c,and is an excellent razor...have about 600 blades,some of best ones are astra ss and sp,silver blue,supermax and rapira...every blade performs differently in different razor...but blades above perform well in any razors.

I've been a long time DE shaver and bought a ton of razors and different blades and settled on Astra Platinum or Gillette Silver Blue. Feathers and Sharks work well but don't seem to last as long as the others for me.

I've been a long time DE shaver and bought a ton of razors and different blades and settled on Astra Platinum or Gillette Silver Blue. Feathers and Sharks work well but don't seem to last as long as the others for me.
thanks for sharing your experience

Merkur 23 and feather blades. I use it intermittently between straight razor shaves. Final strop on both is the one and only palm strop. Haver no nicks or razor burns either implement.

When you think about it, it's not really surprising that different blades perform wildly differently on people. Hair, especially facial is not homogenous, the beard is stronger denser in different parts of the face and individuals vary so much.

Technique and lathering may play a role but certain blades suit certain beards. What has puzzled me is why does it CHANGE from time to time? For around 10 years Feathers were my watchword, nothing else performed as well but then about 2 years ago they started to feel coarse, close shave yes but raw and nick strewn. Have they changed the quality I asked or has age altered my beard? I prefer Astras now, smoother more reliable but not so close, nor do they last long but they're cheap.

Therefore I was very interested in David Martin David Martin and his suggestion for blade stropping. Never occurred to me and I'm still a little uncertain how it's done...do you hold it in the clip and run each side along a strop?? Angle?? I was also very taken by the ice-cold water idea, will be trying that in the morning on a 2 day growth!

I feel I need a new razor too, my various Merkurs have all begun to shed plate after the years and are giving a scratchy performance. One Merkur is silver plated rather than chrome and this is better but despite being Open Comb it's rather mild, won't get close enough. Tried an Edwin Jaegar but far too mild, on the other hand some MĂĽhle I bought is so ferocious it can really skin you! A NOS Gillette would be good but I suppose they cost a mint..?

As for creams/soaps I liked your American Colonel Conk but it's become hugely expensive or impossible to get from the US due to shipping costs, pity it worked really well. TOBS was good but they've messed around with the formulas plus it too is very expensive to get here in Europe after BREXIT. So, Italian creams/soaps such as Proraso and Cella Almond work excellently.

OK that's enough for now! Thanks, Will

I just drag it. I use 2 finges atop and a thumb and 3rd finger to pull. The tape & clip sets the angle. DM

I've used several through the years and typically revert back to my cheap trusted 3 blade, but recently picked up the MkII battle brothers shaving co from PatriotShave.com and love it so far.

Nacet, Astra green, Voshkod work great in all my razors.

I like a Feather in my Henson +

Tried a lot of different blades and keep going back to feather, they work best for me but they don’t last as long as some others. Actually liked astra quite a bit too, gave a good shave and the blades seemed to last a bit longer. I use a merkur 34C

Have you tried Kai blades? Pretty close to Feathers in sharpness, but seem to last longer for me. I typically use my Timeless 95, but also use an old Gillette Deluxe or a Merkur Progress.

Have you tried Kai blades? Pretty close to Feathers in sharpness, but seem to last longer for me. I typically use my Timeless 95, but also use an old Gillette Deluxe or a Merkur Progress.
Because of the Kai's slightly oversized dimension, they are pretty aggressive in an already aggressive razor like my Lupo .95OC - I can use that combo, but with requisite care. The Kai in my Lupo DC (.72OC + .95SB) is excellent.

My best blades of late have been Voskhod, Rapira and Big Ben.
With the Voskhod getting the lions share of my shaves.

I've used nothing besides feather for 12 years and they are (in my opinion), far better than all other brands. Yes they can be aggressive at first but with delicate pressure and allowing your skin to adapt (about a month), you will begin to appreciate how sharp they are and the effortless way they slice hair.

Back