FBM chopping fun test

I would love to know how the AK47 rates in chopping against the FBM and SHBM. ;)

:D :D
werd.gif

Thanks for posting the results of your chopping test, Cobalt. My ak-47 chops like a SOB, but I think it's harder on you to do a lot of chopping (it can rattle you if you don't hit the sweet spot). I'd rather do a lot of chopping with a BM. Now for hedge trimming and shooting lane clearing the AK rules.

Some of the choppers I plan to test...

In this pic, they're mostly mint. But since the pic was taken, the RD-9, RTAK II, and CG FBM have all seen some use.

Choppers.jpg

Break out a Steel Heart!

You know you want to...

I'll bet randucci or Mulder will send you one free for testing. :D

You wanted a SHSH test, so here it is.
So, I know this is late, but I figure I would throw this latest test in here. I figured I would pull up this old necro thread and add it here for some hidden fun. šŸ˜€

First let me explain where I screwed up. I freehand sharpened my SHSHII and was going after 15 dps. Well, that did not go so well. I measure the edge and I got an edge width of 0.149" and thickness behind the edge of 0.046. Just measured today on the sweet spot. The maximum width was more, so the edge varied from 8 to 9 degrees per side. The sweet spot is 8.8Ā° :oops: :oops:

Since I screwed up and I am going to have to redo the edge, I figured why not see how much it can take. So I decided to have my kid video me chopping some stuff with it to see how much damage it can take. I started off going into soft pine boards for about 20 something hits with no damage. Only to find out that my kid had not hit record. So we did it again, but since there was no damage, I went straight to heavy gauge copper tubing from home depot. Anyone can buy this stuff and replicate my results. They have two or three thicknesses and I got the thickest, which looks to be about 1/8" thick tubing, 5/8" diameter. As for toughness, it is between pine and bone in how it reacts. It starts to deform and as it cuts it creates high stress points that can cause edge damage. I have hit this stuff with my 15 dps edge with no damage to the edge.

I figured this would do damage to the edge and it did. Here are the pics of the blade and edge. The indentations below are all an average of 0.009" deep. So I will likely need to take 0.02" off to get rid of the damage. Which is relatively minor damage. I could probably strop off the damage, but taking edge off will bring my angle to a higher number. While I would never recommend going anywhere near this angle, it is good to know that the edge can handle moderate abuse at such a low angle.

02bLoaS.jpg

and a closeup of the edge, lots of rolllng at the very tip of the edge, where the thickness is nearly unmeasurable since due to how thin the edge is. What's most impressive is the deformation at such a thin edge and no induced fracture.

r00JFOb.jpg

yMXMCYW.jpg

the video is here:

You wanted a SHSH test, so here it is.
So, I know this is late, but I figure I would throw this latest test in here. I figured I would pull up this old necro thread and add it here for some hidden fun. šŸ˜€

First let me explain where I screwed up. I freehand sharpened my SHSHII and was going after 15 dps. Well, that did not go so well. I measure the edge and I got an edge width of 0.149" and thickness behind the edge of 0.046. Just measured today on the sweet spot. The maximum width was more, so the edge varied from 8 to 9 degrees per side. The sweet spot is 8.8Ā° :oops: :oops:

Since I screwed up and I am going to have to redo the edge, I figured why not see how much it can take. So I decided to have my kid video me chopping some stuff with it to see how much damage it can take. I started off going into soft pine boards for about 20 something hits with no damage. Only to find out that my kid had not hit record. So we did it again, but since there was no damage, I went straight to heavy gauge copper tubing from home depot. Anyone can buy this stuff and replicate my results. They have two or three thicknesses and I got the thickest, which looks to be about 1/8" thick tubing, 5/8" diameter. As for toughness, it is between pine and bone in how it reacts. It starts to deform and as it cuts it creates high stress points that can cause edge damage. I have hit this stuff with my 15 dps edge with no damage to the edge.

I figured this would do damage to the edge and it did. Here are the pics of the blade and edge. The indentations below are all an average of 0.009" deep. So I will likely need to take 0.02" off to get rid of the damage. Which is relatively minor damage. I could probably strop off the damage, but taking edge off will bring my angle to a higher number. While I would never recommend going anywhere near this angle, it is good to know that the edge can handle moderate abuse at such a low angle.

02bLoaS.jpg

and a closeup of the edge, lots of rolllng at the very tip of the edge, where the thickness is nearly unmeasurable since due to how thin the edge is. What's most impressive is the deformation at such a thin edge and no induced fracture.

r00JFOb.jpg

yMXMCYW.jpg

the video is here:

ten bucks says you only need to steel those bumps out.

I guess I know where all the fun went. it's at Cobalts house.

Thanks. By the way, I noticed that my old photocrapet hosted pics are all gone, typical of that worthless site. Luckily
i moved them over to imgur which is one of the best if not the best hosting site.

nyeHSUb.jpg

2EwakBM.jpg

uQ4ao6r.jpg

Those are neat.

Yeah, the becker brute was a really good knife. But typical of becker, when they get a great knife, they stop making it. Like the BK20 as well. I'm wondering when the BK9 will go the way of the dinosaur. it is likely to happen

Yeah, the becker brute was a really good knife. But typical of becker, when they get a great knife, they stop making it. Like the BK20 as well. I'm wondering when the BK9 will go the way of the dinosaur. it is likely to happen
Don't forget the BK5 and BK15... BTW I agree, I have 4 Brutes, 2 from Effingham and 2 from Camillus...

bk5 comes to mind

Back