Feral cat help!!!

I read it, it was nothing bad.

..... I don't believe that Feral Cats are particularly predacious over the rabbit population, certainly not to a point where they lack of presence in the ecosystem would have a demonstrable impact of numbers. Cats prefer to hunt and kill small easier to eat critters (see above) than a big bunny. Yes the kittens are a bit more vulnerable having seen the gut contents of many cats examined I can't recall ever seeing a significant presence of rabbit. Foxes certainly prey on rabbits but you know, rabbits breed like rabbits.
One of the nicest, most affectionate cats I've ever known--who spent much of his short life outside--was a stone-cold rabbit killer. A neighbor had a rabbit hutch in his backyard, and this domesticated cat emptied it in less than a month. Since he only ate rabbit that month, his spring/summer coat was patchy for the rest of his life.

I wouldn't think a feral cat would hesitate to kill a wild rabbit, but I may be wrong.

It’s not a lie…. If you believe it!

George Costanza

Huh? Is that like the "alternative facts" theory?

In other words, that there is no scientific or empirical way to prove what's true or a lie, such that the "truth" is just what you think or say it is?

The world cannot function based on such delusions -- Yeah, the world is flat. That's what I think and I'm sticking to it. LOL! ;)

Last edited:

In other words, that there is no scientific or empirical way to prove what's true or a lie, such that the "truth" is just what you think or say it is?

The world cannot function based on such delusions -- Yeah, the world is flat. That's what I think and I'm sticking to it. LOL! ;)
...aliens...that's all I'm allowed to say at this time...

I was replying to a different thread. I’m not 100% sure how it got in this one. I bet alcohol was involved! 😬

Ok, not rabbits but what about what the cats do eat -- mice, rats, whatever? Won't they be on the rise after the cats are gone.

Not saying you shouldn't kill the cats but you also need a strategy to deal w/the rise of whatever pests they do eat that will not have as many cats to worry about anymore.
The cats are decimating native birds, reptiles, and small mammals.

That is not how an invasive species works. The cats are killing things that aren't supposed to have cats killing them, and in larger numbers than the native predators. Sure they are probably killing some pests but they are also killing things off that didn't need killing off. Plus, the natural predators of these things also are in a pinch because the cats are killing off their normal prey.

One must do what is needed to maintain the ecosystem and your property. You won't find me getting pains for a cat crapping on my step. I know ways to make 'em not want to be there.

Love cats personally. Ferals, whatever. I like befriending all animals I come across. Never have killed a creature, like, shot something. Don't want to, either, want being the operative word. Will, to learn to hunt, but not happy about it. Will probably make friends with a hunter and have him take me on a hunt and show me the ropes for free labor/payment/just a friendly thing.

Certainly a cat would be very hard. Would go crazy exhausting all other options. I like the idea of natural barriers like blackberry bushes and I LOVE citrus. I would never blame someone for preserving their land, animals, or ecosystem, but I can't take pleasure in it. It's a solemn thing to me - I have not had exp with anything like this so who knows how I'd feel had I been doing it my whole life but it is a sad thing to take a life - only upsides are ethical meat. Straying from cats here.

My wonderful neighbor has been feeding the feral cats. We are up to 10-12. Now, the litter box is my front flower bed. I have tried all the anti cat products at Lowes and HD with NO results. I have moth balls out now but I can’t stand the smell. Before those cats get “lead poisoning” does anyone have other solutions? I hate to go to those extremes if I don’t have to. I am going trap shopping tomorrow as well.

Thanks in advance.
Get a spray bottle and squirt your neighbour in the face repeatedly whilst firmly saying NO! Everytime they feed the cats.....
If this fails, then crating or tethering may be considered when your neighbour cannot be directly supervised.

One must do what is needed to maintain the ecosystem and your property. You won't find me getting pains for a cat crapping on my step. I know ways to make 'em not want to be there.

Love cats personally. Ferals, whatever. I like befriending all animals I come across. Never have killed a creature, like, shot something. Don't want to, either, want being the operative word. Will, to learn to hunt, but not happy about it. Will probably make friends with a hunter and have him take me on a hunt and show me the ropes for free labor/payment/just a friendly thing.

Certainly a cat would be very hard. Would go crazy exhausting all other options. I like the idea of natural barriers like blackberry bushes and I LOVE citrus. I would never blame someone for preserving their land, animals, or ecosystem, but I can't take pleasure in it. It's a solemn thing to me - I have not had exp with anything like this so who knows how I'd feel had I been doing it my whole life but it is a sad thing to take a life - only upsides are ethical meat. Straying from cats here.
Blackberries and citrus to keep out feral cats? Lol. Depending on your climate the blackberries will do way more harm than the cats! Talk about an invasive species...

I just moved in to a new place and the feral cat hangs out under the Orange bush with all the fallen fruit, so citrus definitely isn't deterring them.

I definitely need to scare them off, because my dog thinks their poop is a tasty treat, and I don't want him ingesting whatever parasites these feral cats have.

Most cats don't like water. Motion activated sprinkler sounds promising.

Moth balls have worked the best, but the cold weather has been effective too. I have called 10 phone numbers including animal control with NO replies at all!

Back