Ffg bk17 passaround! UPDATE!! New knife made to continue passaround!

Guess what showed up tonight!!!!!!!! I am off tomorrow and I am going to have some fun trying it out. I may get out to Ethan's to help him out a little and show him while I am there.

Getting things together for next weekend. Should be a blast! Sorry for the pun.....

DSCN1148_zpsbfba9197.jpg

With him there is no telling. Could be anything really. I only hope this time he doesn't forget the one he forgot last time.

It is actually a CMMG 22 conversion kit and an AAC .45 Ti-Rant supressor. We went through 200 .45s, 300+ subsonic .22s, no ear pro and smiled the whole time! We had a great time with it at night hitting 2 in. metal plinking targets at 50 to 75 yards. I did remember to bring the .45 carbine that Derek wanted to "handle".

my45carbineandgreenBK17.jpg

This is kind of a bump.
This passaround is winding down. Since it was started way back in July lots has happened. The original knife was "lost" (ahem), a replacement made, a Gathering happened where several knives came together and stayed together. As of this posting, the pack o' knives is in the hands of mrn8, then it's scheduled to come back to me.

Since the four months that the passaround was started, there have been several new Beckerheads making their presence known on the Forum. If anyone wants to be added to the list, contact me now or forever hold your peace. Read the first page to get the qualifications, but to summarize, you need to be a Beckerhead, you need to have been on Bladeforums for at least 6 months, and must be in CONUS, and the knives must be legal in your jurisdiction. There are other qualifications, but those are the biggies.

-K9

Last I heard, mrn8 had them and his favorite was the duracoated FFG-17. I have to agree with him on that one too. Although I liked the jimping on the fighting 17 better. I am considering talking to you about making something like that for me in the future. You do great work and I truly appreciate you allowing us to spend time with your handiwork.

Thanks K9 for passing these around! They were a privilege to be able to check out and I appreciate the hard work you put into these. K9's metal work and handle work is top-notch. I love the way the BK17 fighting knife handled, the thicker scales were really nice, and the lengthened belly on the knife makes is a nice woods knife. The polishing on the clipped BK16 is sweet. The lost weight makes it feel and act like a much smaller knife. The duracoated BK16 was definitely my favorite. Even though in my quick field test, the polished BK16 was the best at turning sticks into curls, I just fell in love with the duracoated one. Usually I like to strip the coating, but this one just looked and felt right. I assume the micarta is Saint Cutlery? Micarta is my absolute favorite handle material, so that may have given it a nice edge over the others.

The jimping work on all of these was nice. When I first saw it on the forums, I believe I said something about not liking radius jimping, but after using them I've come around to it. It's quite functional....the anti-thumb ramp. I agree with Hawk that the BK17's jimping is the nicest. It's more subtle and functional and the whole aesthetic of that knife is very nice. If I felt I needed to carry a fighting knife, it's the one of the lot that I'd go for. Heck, I'd go for it over anything I've handled to date.

Here's what K9 has sent out:

IMG_7632.jpg

Here's the whole crew that came out that day. *The BK2 did limbing / baton duty, because I really didn't want to baton on K9's knives. *I'm sure they would have handled it was well at the ESEE3, but they're not mine, so....

IMG_7704.jpg

IMG_7656.jpg

Just plain sexy. This one is fun to photograph!

IMG_7642.jpg

IMG_7667.jpg

IMG_7683.jpg

IMG_7691.jpg

I made tinder curls with each knife and used the BK15 / ESEE 3 as "controls". Honestly the ESEE 3 is my go-to for this job and I still liked it the best. However, I am very used to it and just knowing the edge and how it works gives it a huge advantage in my hands. However, of this batch, I had mixed thoughts. I thought that if I had to choose a knife for this job, it would be the polished, clipped FFG BK16. I think it did the best job with the least amount of work. I like the feel of the duracoated one the best, though I could feel the resistance, so I was sure I would fatigue faster using this one. The BK17 has a long sweeping belly that actually worked very well if you started your downward pass near the tip and worked it in towards the hilt. If you start near the hilt, it would send off a straight piece that didn't tend to curl at all. However, this one has the thickest and most comfortable handle for my hand.

IMG_7696.jpg

IMG_7698.jpg

IMG_7700.jpg

Fire! I hate to bid these fare-well, but I'm sure K9 would like to see these again. Thanks for sharing, it was nice to check them out. I can't recommend K9 enough, whether it's for a reprofile job or duracoat. That Duracoat seems like it will wear a lot better than the factory coating. You can't be the custom options with this route, either.

IMG_7719.jpg

I really have a hankering for one of those pointy 17's. I like the subtle jimping on it. That looks like just the thing for a small defensive fixed blade.

Got the box yesterday... Holy sweetness these blades are gorgeous. K9, the more I'm seeing your work the more impressed I'm getting by it!

I'm going to be taking a day trip here soon to get out into the woods so I'm gonna try these compared to the stock 16, Saber 16, and stock 17.

First thoughts though, I like the subtle jimping a LOT better than the deeper jimping on the.... Camo(?) one...

Well, all good things come to an end.

Last Saturday I got the carton from C-Bear returning the wayward children to their home. Well, all except one. ChameleonBear ended up buying the replacement blade that was sent to make up for the one Thrillbilly stole. That officially ended the passaround that started way back on July 15th! :eek:
Kind of in the middle of all that time was the Gathering, when two additional Tweeners joined in the fun.

Thanks for everyone who participated and posted their opinions (five pages and 135 posts!) and feedback.
-K9

Hello wasatchdan.
I love the Black Leather sheath in your photos.
Who makes that sheath?
I really want to get one.
Thanks for the info and photos.

Back