Ffg bk17 passaround! UPDATE!! New knife made to continue passaround!

Okay, I had a chance to play around with the FFG17 the last few days.

I repaired to the back yard to play around making some shavings. The blade came with a decent working edge to it. Normally I prefer to Fisk my Tweeners and make them really, really sharp, but the edge on the FFG17 right now seems to last forever. I honed it up, and then proceeded to work on the wood.
DSCN0993.jpg

Then I grabbed my excellent Tommythewho firesteel from my usual Tweener pouch, and I decided to make fire with them.
DSCN0997.jpg

Although it looks nice, I didn't really care for the small choil K-9 did until I needed a place to strike the steel. The choil made a great surface.
DSCN0995.jpg

I got the scales a little dirty, though.
DSCN0998.jpg

It cleaned up just fine, but you might have to media blast the scales again to get them back in the white completely.
DSCN0999.jpg

And speaking of the scales, I think they're great. Much more hand-filling than the normal scales, yet you can still use the factory sheath.
DSCN1006.jpg

The sheath K-9 supplied is great. I carried it in this sheath at work for the last two days, and it retains the knife perfectly, but doesn't actually lock the blade in like one of AZWelke's or Godspeed's rigs. Makes it much easier to draw from, and is a perfect rig for casual carry.
DSCN0986.jpg

DSCN0990.jpg

The white scales are a bit wide for my other sheaths, though. I could barely get it into my Skystorm sheaths, although if I were to regularly carry it in them, the leather would probably stretch out over time. Looks good in them, though.
DSCN1005.jpg

DSCN0982.jpg

The clip is perfectly done, and the thumb depression and new jimping is awesome. It makes the FFG17 feel like a whole different knife. Very aggressive in the hand. I did some blade drills with it, and this would make a dandy fighter, especially with a sharpened swedge. I'm going to swap out the scales for the black ones K-9 supplied and try them out. He media blasted them so that they're grippier than the factory ones.

This is the perfect Tweener, IMHO. The looks and stabbiness of a 17, with the sliciness of a 16. Man, this is a cool blade.
DSCN1001.jpg

Personally, if this was my knife, I'd Fisk it so that it would be scary sharp, but the edge it came with did well as is.

I don't really care for the choil, however. It was too small for my finger to fit in, and when I was making shavings with it, the choil kept getting in the way. For my money, I'd take either a larger choil identical to the 15's, or no choil at all. I think I'd go for no choil on mine.

Anyway, that's my thought on the FFG17 so far. I'm going to play around with it for a few more days, and send it out on Tuesday. Thanks for doing this K-9. You do some damn fine work, bro. :thumbup::thumbup:

Nice job. :thumbup:

LG&M is next, followed by Hawk590 who will carry it to the Gathering.

Last edited:
Nice job. :thumbup:

LG&M is next, followed by Hawk950 who will carry it to the Gathering.

It is getting close!!!!!!! I don't know which I am more excited about, the gathering, the FFG 17 I will have for passaround at the gathering or the TM Hunt M-18 that I will be delivered at the gathering..... Hmmm This is going to be a great gathering!

It is getting close!!!!!!! I don't know which I am more excited about, the gathering, the FFG 17 I will have for passaround at the gathering or the TM Hunt M-18 that I will be delivered at the gathering..... Hmmm This is going to be a great gathering!

I don't know if you can handle this, but I may send you another of my creations to bring along with you, if that's alright with you. It will be introduced to the Beckerheads tomorrow. :eek:

This is a great thread to follow! Are there any spots left open? I'm contemplating a bk-16 or 17 but no one i know has one i can play with!

This is a great thread to follow! Are there any spots left open? I'm contemplating a bk-16 or 17 but no one i know has one i can play with!

Highlife: Read the requirements on the first page. This is open to official Beckerheads only, and I don't see a BH number in your signature.

Not sure that this would be the correct application for you, anyway. This knife feels very different than a stock 16 or 17, so you STILL wouldn't know what one felt like!

I don't know if you can handle this, but I may send you another of my creations to bring along with you, if that's alright with you. It will be introduced to the Beckerheads tomorrow. :eek:

I would be glad to show off anything that you want to send. I am starting to count down the days!

So, is that being added to the pass around? :)

Canon 7D waiting and ready for after the gathering. Hopefully my broken hand has healed up by then.

The FFG 17 came in the mail today. Nice and sharp , Thanks Wasatchdan. Aside from the handle you can't tell it's origin. Hope to play with it this weekend.

Found a little time to play.
Oct%25202012%2520048.JPG

I like the clip point having a fine tip is nice but I think I like the drop a little better. With the coating removed and the nice polish job it does slice better.
Oct%25202012%2520054.JPG

I will take it out again tomorrow.

Not a lot of cutting today but what I think is a nice photo.
10-7-12%2520007.JPG

Edit 10-16-12
10-16-12%2520003.JPG

I sent it off today to Hawk590.
I did not play with this beauty as much as I wanted to. I should have used it in the fire challenge. K9 did a good job transforming the Bk 16. I tried to clean the scales but soap & water did not seam to help much. Thanks for letting me check it out.

Last edited:
I got the confirmation email today!!!! I am so excited. I will even get to play with it this weekend before the gathering. I asked Ethan if he needed any help this weekend so if I end up helping Ethan this weekend, I will take it and show it to him then.

Back