Fiddle Fam sub-7" Pattern Compare? Pix Request

If any of you have the following and can post pictures of them with a Fiddleback, better yet a FF pattern with which I'm already familiar,* I'd greatly appreciate it.

@fletcherknives:
Pocket Kilo
24/7

@Osprey Knife & Tool
Tusk, 'poon Tusk

*Current FF Knives:
IMG_8734.jpg~original

Handyman, Patch, EDKarda, Sylvrfalcen, Esquire, Sgian Dubh, Runt

Courtesy of Warrior108 Warrior108 , @Nbrackett and others, I've had the privilege of handling a host of other patterns as well, so if you have any of the smaller FFam knives in question, post 'em on up with your Fiddleback(s).

Feel free to add your own requests as well.

Thanks!

~ P.

Firstly, it was a really great experience to get to meet you at Scotts. Definitely the highlight of the weekend for me.

And also. Nice knives.

Firstly, it was a really great experience to get to meet you at Scotts. Definitely the highlight of the weekend for me.

And also. Nice knives.

Aw, thanks! I am so glad I got to spend time with you, and Phillip (and Kylie)-- more'n worth the trip. :)

If possible, I now love my FF knives even more....

... seen my Blue Runt recently? ;)

~ P.

Here’s a late night shot with terrible fluorescent lighting, but you should at least see the size comparison.

Hiking Buddy, 24/7, Pocket Kephart, Nomad, Runt, Runt

378870EE-B8E5-4C96-98FD-AC4EB2E3564A.jpeg

And one more with the handles lined up a little better (minus the Nomad since it’s shape didn’t play nice with the layout).

BF9CE0DC-66E6-48D8-9817-C78C6BBD7410.jpeg

Last edited:
If any of you have the following and can post pictures of them with a Fiddleback, better yet a FF pattern with which I'm already familiar,* I'd greatly appreciate it.

@fletcherknives:
Pocket Kilo
24/7

@Osprey Knife & Tool
Tusk, 'poon Tusk

*Current FF Knives:
IMG_8734.jpg~original

Handyman, Patch, EDKarda, Sylvrfalcen, Esquire, Sgian Dubh, Runt

Courtesy of Warrior108 Warrior108 , @Nbrackett and others, I've had the privilege of handling a host of other patterns as well, so if you have any of the smaller FFam knives in question, post 'em on up with your Fiddleback(s).

Feel free to add your own requests as well.

Thanks!

~ P.

Sorrrrry, work was crazy yesterday after a couple days off & I'm away from the home office until this afternoon. My initial thoughts are to take pics of the Esquire, Poon Tip Tusk, Sylvrfalcen, Hiking Buddy, Poon Tip Mini Mamushi, Handyman. I don't have a 24x7 but its on my list also.

~ J

I love Dylan's 24/7. Now that the laws have changed I want to have him do me one in tapered 3/16 CPM154 with a wicked swedge.

Hey ~P,

I don’t have all the models you are inquiring about. My selection of smaller knives is somewhat limited. Since no one around here objects to knife photos, I’ll post what I have.

(From the top down: Ban Tang Mini Bowie, Hiking Buddy, AA Forge Runt, OK&T Tusk & Nomad)

A wide variety of handle thicknesses and shapes in this mix. Smaller knives tend to be more purpose specific to me than my preferred 8-1/2” - 9” OAL belt knives.

The next small one(s) I would like to get are either a tapered 3/32” stainless 24/7 or a tapered 3/32” A2 Toboggan with a simple synthetic handle. Those are few and far between, so I will likely be waiting a good long while to fill those slots.

Good luck with your decision(s.)

Phil

Great googily moogily! I don't know if I've ever seen so many numbers on a tape measure before! You gotta pay extra for all that ink? :D

pertinux pertinux
A bit delayed but here is my contribution. Sorry I couldn't bring myself to parting that pair up.

2v2udkWFNxAKujh.jpg

For anyone not certain about the models. Top to bottom they are:
FF Handyman
OKT Mini Mamushi with Poon tip
FF Sylvrfalcen (ahhhhhhh, with Bog Oak and 3/32)
FF Esquire
FF PK (Pocket Kephart)
OKT Tusk with Poon Tip
FF Runt​

@Osprey Knife & Tool did an awesome job with the matching pair! The Mini Mamushi "hermit crabbed" my Esquire belt sheath and is a really compact yet capable blade. The Poon Tusk handles and works way better than I thought it would, excellently in fact, at cutting and just general handling, slicing and turn-in cuts.

Here’s my contribution. Not as comprehensive as Phill’s but, well.....
2933C099-460F-479D-8103-A5B04938B383.jpeg

FF Hiking Buddy
WA Surls Canebrake
WA Surls Patch
FF Esquire
WA Surls Pocket Puukko
FF Old School Karda
FF Pocket Kephart
FF Baby Boot
Jarrett Fleming Itty Bitty

FC75C625-EF8E-4002-B648-A9163480C946.jpeg

FF Hiking Buddy
WA Surls Quartermaster
WA Surls Mini Drop Point Hunter
WA Surls Palmer
Fletcher TS4

I hope this helps

-Jim

Thanks for the responses, everyone! This is all really helpful-- even if I'm now wondering if I should pick up a Hiking Buddy after all, as the pattern often seems to serve as the de facto (if unofficial) Fiddleback Standard of Measurement. :D

Here’s a late night shot with terrible fluorescent lighting, but you should at least see the size comparison.

Hiking Buddy, 24/7, Pocket Kephart, Nomad, Runt, Runt

View attachment 804968

And one more with the handles lined up a little better (minus the Nomad since it’s shape didn’t play nice with the layout).

View attachment 804969

Very good!

I've enjoyed your glamor shots of the 24/7, but these more than do the trick re: comparison. Thanks. :)

~ P.

Hey ~P,

I don’t have all the models you are inquiring about. My selection of smaller knives is somewhat limited. Since no one around here objects to knife photos, I’ll post what I have.

Thanks much for doing so, as your pictures help me gauge the Tusk's size and presentation better than I'd been able to up to this point.

The pattern looks very distinctive kitted out in black and white!

This angle is also extremely helpful, in light of all the variations in width/girth (some of which I would not have guessed at):

Good luck with your decision(s.)

Thanks, and thanks again for your help. :)

~ P.

As impressive as your tape measure may be (and: it is!), I'm still not sure how long the 24/7's handle is, due to the tricks of parallax and perspective.

Where in that fancy jumble of numbers does the handle length actually fall? o_O

~ P.

pertinux pertinux
A bit delayed but here is my contribution. Sorry I couldn't bring myself to parting that pair up.

Great stuff, Jerry-- thanks! Also: yer killin' me, but I shall live. :p I may end up preferring the non-Pooned Tusk visually, for example, and if I can fall into some @Osprey Knife & Tool parquetry some day (Chris Linton's exquisite handle work, his seamless, intricate combinations of handle and liner materials), I'll be happy indeed. Or with your wooden 'poon Tusk.

Bravissimo, on several levels. Thanks!
(I keep forgetting about that green Handyman-- nice!)

@Osprey Knife & Tool did an awesome job with the matching pair! The Mini Mamushi "hermit crabbed" my Esquire belt sheath and is a really compact yet capable blade. The Poon Tusk handles and works way better than I thought it would, excellently in fact, at cutting and just general handling, slicing and turn-in cuts.

Congrats! I'm glad you like the knife. :)

~ P.

Here’s my contribution. Not as comprehensive as Phill’s but, well.....

Your array is much more Onedog-gy, if that helps? o_O

View attachment 805826

FF Hiking Buddy
WA Surls Canebrake
WA Surls Patch
FF Esquire
WA Surls Pocket Puukko
FF Old School Karda
FF Pocket Kephart
FF Baby Boot
Jarrett Fleming Itty Bitty

View attachment 805832

FF Hiking Buddy
WA Surls Quartermaster
WA Surls Mini Drop Point Hunter
WA Surls Palmer
Fletcher TS4

Very cool, thanks! You have some patterns I've never even heard of before, let alone seen in comparative array. I appreciate your taking the time to put this together. :thumbsup:

I hope this helps

Sure does! Thank you. :cool:

~ P.

Back