Fiddleback Bush Hermit & Drop Point Maverick Comparison

Comprehensivist

Platinum Member
Intro:

2016 has been an active year for new designs coming out of Fiddleback Forge both in the handmade category and several more models added to the mid-tech production line-up.

Early in the year Andy introduced the Wingman, Renegade, and Maverick to the line-up. My first impression of these designs was that they didn’t appeal to me visually with their top & bottom palm swell bumps and “bent” looking handles. I’ll be the first to admit that looks can be deceiving at times. Unfortunately for most of us who don’t live close enough to the Fiddleback shop to stop by and feel them first hand, that is all we have to go by.

There is no substitute for having a knife in hand to determine if it works for you or not. Most folks here go through a “buy & try” learning phase to determine what models and features they like best, then later sell or trade the others to fund more of what works best for them. That used to be easier to do efficiently than it is in today’s slower market. With that consideration in mind, it is more important than ever to gather as much information as possible up front to make wise purchasing decisions.

Luckily for me, I have developed some great friendships on this forum that have made the discovery and research process easier for me because these people are willing to lend me their personal knives to evaluate and write about. That is how I got to try the Wingman as part of Phillip’'s (M4Super90) pass-around in March. In April, Andy was gracious enough to lend me his personal Maverick to check out to see
how these designs worked with a larger handle. I wrote my thoughts about the Maverick in this thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...leback-Maverick?highlight=Fiddleback+Maverick

In short, I came away impressed with the handle design on the Maverick. That feeling was further reinforced after I got to check out Andy’s personal Drop Point Maverick at the Blade Show. That was an impressive knife that he later featured in his family camping trip thread. I prefer the DPM blade option over the original trailing point design. I have since been on the lookout for a Drop Point Maverick in the right steel and handle configuration.

A couple of weeks ago Andy introduced the Bush Hermit. While there is no shortage of 4”" blade bushcraft style knives to choose from these days, something about this design quickly caught my interest. From the early stand alone photos, it looked to me like the Bush Hermit has a taller and longer handle than the Fiddleback Bushcrafter which has long been my favorite model in this size category. I quickly sent off a PM to the shop ask for more information on how these two models compare.

When I saw that my good friend Peter (prom52) scored a Bush Hermit from the first batch, I sent him a PM to congratulate him on the score. Since I know that he also owns a Drop Point Maverick, I asked him which model he likes better and why. It was a little too early for him to make that determination yet, but he said he will keep me posted. I wanted his opinion because Peter knows my taste in Fiddlebacks as well as anyone. When I asked him which model he thought I would like better, his response was an offer to send me both knives to figure it out on my own. I couldn’t turn down a generous offer like that.

Here are Peter’s two beautiful knives that I will be discussing here. An Osage Bush Hermit and Afzelia Burl Drop Point Maverick:

What follows are my impressions of both knives with a lot of comparison photos to other models too. I like to use comparison photos because they provide a reference point to models you may have and they also serve to point out subtle differences in design that may be significant to making their next Fiddleback purchase decision.

Specifications & Reference Photos:

Note: The length measurements referenced below use the top front edge of the handles as a starting point. That means handle length is from that location to the farthest point rearward and blade length is from there to the tip. Please bear in mind that these hand made knives and the measurements are based on a sample size of one. Some variation in handle thickness and/or contouring should be expected on each knife produced.

Bush Hermit:

OAL: 8.757”
Blade Length: 4.120”
Handle Length: 4.637”
Steel & Thickness: .122” A2
Tang Type: Tapered
Grind: Convex
Handle Material: Osage over natural & white pinstripes
Weight: 5.1 ounces
Blade Height @ Plunge Line: 1.310”
Handle Measurements @ Front: 1.133” High, .780” Wide, & 3.421” Circumference
Handle Measurements @ Palmswell: 1.251” High, .814” Wide, & 3.716” Circumference
Handle Measurements @ Back: 1.056” High, .762” Wide, & 3.254” Circumference
Distance from Front Edge of Handle to Center of Palmswell: 2.342”
Distance from Front Edge of Handle to Balance Point: .985”

Drop Point Maverick:

OAL: 8.215”
Blade Length: 3.854”
Handle Length: 4.361”
Steel & Thickness: .116” A2
Tang Type: Tapered
Grind: Convex
Handle Material: Afzelia Burl over natural & white pinstripes
Weight: 4.6 ounces
Blade Height @ Plunge Line: 1.160”
Handle Measurements @ Front: 1.175” High, .728” Wide, & 3.310” Circumference
Handle Measurements @ Palmswell: 1.314” High, .799” Wide, & 3.815” Circumference
Handle Measurements @ Back: 1.120” High, .745” Wide, & 3.279” Circumference
Distance from Front Edge of Handle to Center of Palmswell: 1.894”
Distance from Front Edge of Handle to Balance Point: 1.016”

Comparison Photos & Observations:

Andy’s profile designs are always a series of curved lines that flow together to create an ergonomic sense of balance that has to be felt to be really appreciated. I have added a straight line here to help you visualize what I am talking about. I love how the tip of the blades align with the centerline of the handles. That is part of what makes them a joy to work with on many tasks.

This back-to-back photo shows the distinct difference in handle design between these two models. The BH is a more traditional handle shape compared to the compound curves on the DPM.

In this edge-to-edge view lined up on the back edge of the guards, you will notice that center of the palm swell on the DPM sits further forward on the handle than the BH. Even considering the difference in handle lengths, the palm swell position on the BH is more perfectly centered than the DPM.

Last edited:
The length and shape of the bottom of the handle are important predictors of how comfortable and versatile a knife will be for me. I pay more attention to these features on the bottom of the handle than the top when I am evaluating a knife to buy.

I also pay close attention to how tall or shallow the “m” or “u” shape of the handle shape is to determine if the handle feels “open” or “closed” to me. By that I mean how maneuverable feels in hand with shallow curves being more open and maneuverable versus a taller “m” that tends to lock you more into one position.

The BH measures 4.459” from the back edge of the guard to the back corner of the handle. The BH has a very shallow “m” shape or almost a “u” shape due to lack of a pronounced downward hook shape on the back end of the handle. This knife has a very open and maneuverable feeling handle.

The DPM measures 4.037” from the back edge of the guard to the back corner of the handle. The DPM has a shallow “m” shape also, but not as much so as the BH.

Here is another measurement I pay attention to on the bottom of the handle. This is the measurement that my friend Jim (“joarthur”) calls “effective handle length” or “EHL.” It is the distance from the back corner of the handle to the center of the first finger depression. This measurement is important because it determines your natural hand position on the handle.

The EHL measures 3.760” on the BH...

...and 3.372” on the DPM.

I like to use photos of one knife stacked on top of another to observe the differences in handle shapes and how they will fit my hand compared to another knife I am familiar with. Setting up those photos can be difficult at times with trying to balance two curved handles. Two make that process simpler, I built a little gizmo to hang two knives together on their lanyard tubes.

The DPM flares out with wider hips in the middle due to the top and bottom palm swell then tapers to a narrower waist toward the back end compared to the BH. Notice that you can see section of the taller BH handle on either side of the waist on the DPM. The flared palm swell hips on the DPM really serve to lock in your grip with one bump gong into the palm of your hand and the other between your ring & middle fingers.

Here is another angle showing the taller handle on the BH...

...and the shallower “m” curve shape on the bottom of the handle.

Here a couple of side views to show the differences in handle contours.

In-Hand Photos:

For reference, my hand measures 4” wide across the palm and 6-3/4” from the base of my base to the tip of my middle finger.

The BH has more than enough length for my average size hands. This handle should work great for those of you with XL or XXL hands.

The tall height of the BH handle feels very secure and provides great torque control. Note: My finger tips don’t touch my palm in a hammer grip, so those of you with longer fingers should find this handle very appealing.

The shorter DPM handle has plenty of length for me, but it probably will not be as good a fit as the BH for XXL handed folks.

Other Knife Model Comparisons:

I always like to include comparison photos to other Fiddleback models that you may have in your collection as a reference point.

Here are seven similar size models arranged from shortest OAL to longest going from left to right. L to R: Drop Point Maverick, Sneaky Pete, Arete, Bushcrafter, Bush Hermit, Terrasaur & Bourbon Street Skinner.

The BH and Terrasaur share the honors for the most shallow “m” shaped contours on the bottom of the handles along with dead center positioned palm swells.

The blade and handle heights on the BH are significantly taller than the Terrasaur.

My initial PM question to Andy was how does the handle of the BH compare size-wise to my favorite Bushcrafter? Here you see the two knives line up closely on the top contours with the BH being a little bit longer.

The big differences are the handle height, bottom handle shape, and position of the palm swell. This photo right here completely sold me on the Bush Hermit.

Speaking of taller handles, here are the three tallest ones of this group. What I really like about each of these models is the height at the back end that provides more gripping power to my pinky and ring finger.

The Blade on the BH is not as tall and the handle shape is less curved than the Bourbon Street Skinner.

The handle on the BH provides a little more working room and maneuverability than the BBS. Both of them are standout handles in the line-up to me.

The BH has less of a pronounced curve on the top of the handle than the BBS...

...and on the bottom side.

It is a similar story with the BH and the Sneaky Pete.

The DPM has a taller blade and handle than the Arete.

The length of the bottom of the handles and palm swell positions are pretty similar on these two knives. The Arete has a slightly shallower “m” curve than the DPM.

Here are a couple of shots to show the differences in handle shape between the DPM and Arete.

The DPM and Bushcrafter share similar blade heights and shapes with just the tiniest bit more belly on the Bushcrafter.

The Bushcrafter has a little more handle length on the bottom the DPM.

Final Thoughts & Opinions:

So what is the verdict for me after all this analysis. I like the Drop Point Maverick quite a bit and I will likely continue looking for the right configuration to buy. With that said, I strongly prefer the Bush Hermit between the two because of the longer taller handle with a shallow “m” curve to the bottom and dead centered palm swell position. I also like the blade height and tip position that is inline to the center of the handle. The balance is close to neutral which is important to me also. I will go so far as to say that the Bush Hermit is the ideal Fiddleback knife I have been searching for for a long time. This model will definitely be one at the top of my favorite list for all around usefulness.

Do I think that the Bush Hermit is perfect? Almost. The one feature I don’t like is some sharper edges around the guard extension. The guard extension provides limited utility to me and it feels like it could chew leather out of the welt of a sheath over time. I would like to see this guard extension ground back some or removed altogether if this was my knife. There is already enough steel in the curve at the front of the handle to serve as a guard without the small extension.

I was going to close by saying that it will be my top priority to buy a Bush Hermit soon. I was fully expecting it to be a while before I got lucky enough to score one. As it turned out, luck came quickly for me last Friday while I was working on this draft. I managed to score a beauty which you will be seeing a lot more of in the near future.

IMG_8400-vi.jpg

In closing I want to thank Peter again for sharing his beautiful knives with me. I appreciate your friendship more than you know.

I also want to thank Andy for continuing to innovate in your designs. You really nailed it with the Bush Hermit. You set the bar high for the other two collaboration projects.

Thanks,

Phil

Last edited:
Great review Phil. Your viewpoints and observations are always explained and easily understood - with photos as well. Thanks for doing this.

Preston

Bravo Phil !!!

Awesome & informative review.......that gizmo you created is a cool way to do side by side "hang man" comparisons.

I'm glad you were able to snag that beautiful Bush Hermit. It will make for a worthy addition to your growing collection of wood handled knives :p

Excellent write up! I would love a bush hermit!! Looks like a great design.

Anybody have one forsale please let me know! :thumbup:

Thanks in advance

Pete

Thank you for being so thorough Phillp. Beautiful pictures, excellent explanations.

Anymore, I'm like you. I seem to be favoring the more neutral handles such as what you have described in the center palm swells of the Terrasuar, Handyman, etc. The BH looks to fit the bill as well.

Wonderful job :)

That's a sticky worthy review Phil, outstanding!!!

My thoughts on the BH reflect yours.

Congrats on the beautiful BH you scored and thank you for taking the time to post this extensive review. I am sure it will help a lot of people.

Wow Phil. I think I could learn a lot about handle design from you. Lol. I'm glad you like the Bushhermit. Can you do me a favor and get a pic of that guard so that folks will know it is rounded and not sharp. It does protrude, but we do round it. A sharp guard is a no no for knifemakers.

Also, would you like me to reduce yours before it ships? I can do that. Let me know.

And also! Thank you for the review. Yours are among the best imo.

I have been awaiting a detailed impressions/review of this model before deciding to save up and try it out. I guess the search begins for 1/8" TT canvas micarta. Great job on the review, and good idea on lanyard tube apparatus.

In particular, the Bush Hermit/Terrasuar comparison is what I wanted to see. Overall the Terrasaur fits my hand better than any knife I have ever held. Even so, my fingers are still a little too long to squarely grip its handle. For me the Terrasaur is also relatively narrow outside of the palm swell when choking up or choking back on the handle. So for me the extra handle height on the Bush Hermit is definitely intriguing, especially at the pommel where it counts most.

For those of us who prefer tapered tangs, the extra handle height at the pommel of the Bush Hermit might help offset the narrow circumference near the pommel that normally accompanies a tapered tang.

Wow Phil. Your write-ups are always fantastic. I love the detailed photos, specs, and dimensional analysis. Most importantly, I love that you share your opinion of the knives you are comparing so we can get an idea of what works for you and why and translate that to our own purchasing decisions. Thank you so much for always being a top notch contributor to this community. Every time I see one of your posts my eyes light up. I look forward to trying these knives out myeslf as well.

Awesome write up, Phil!

I appreciate the compliment Caleb!

awesome stuff. I'll take the Osage Bush Hermit

Thanks for the affirmation. Unfortunately for you (& me), my wife jumped ahead in line to claim ownership of the the Brisket Rub Burl Bush Hermit.

Great review Phil. Your viewpoints and observations are always explained and easily understood - with photos as well. Thanks for doing this.

Preston

Thanks for your comments Preston. It means a lot to me to hear that from an experienced Fiddleback member.

Bravo Phil !!!

Awesome & informative review.......that gizmo you created is a cool way to do side by side "hang man" comparisons.

I'm glad you were able to snag that beautiful Bush Hermit. It will make for a worthy addition to your growing collection of wood handled knives :p

Thank you Peter for making this possible. I'll confess that I have been in a moderately depressed funk since losing J-Dog. She was a lot of my motivation for doing posts like these. This is my first significant post since I put her down. Part of my "recovery" from that has been opening my eyes to new possibilities, even that crazy wood stuff that some of you prefer. :p

Excellent write up! I would love a bush hermit!! Looks like a great design.

Anybody have one forsale please let me know! :thumbup:

Thanks in advance

Pete

Be patient Pete to get a configuration that you love. This model is worth the wait.

Thank you for being so thorough Phillp. Beautiful pictures, excellent explanations.

Anymore, I'm like you. I seem to be favoring the more neutral handles such as what you have described in the center palm swells of the Terrasuar, Handyman, etc. The BH looks to fit the bill as well.

Wonderful job :)

I appreciate your comments Brian! Your review of the Terrasaur had a big impact on me. I am confident that you will like the Bush Hermit if you get one.

That's a sticky worthy review Phil, outstanding!!!

My thoughts on the BH reflect yours.

Congrats on the beautiful BH you scored and thank you for taking the time to post this extensive review. I am sure it will help a lot of people.

Thanks Abe! There are already too many stickies on this forum, but I appreciate the thought nonetheless.

Wow Phil. I think I could learn a lot about handle design from you. Lol. I'm glad you like the Bushhermit. Can you do me a favor and get a pic of that guard so that folks will know it is rounded and not sharp. It does protrude, but we do round it. A sharp guard is a no no for knifemakers.

Also, would you like me to reduce yours before it ships? I can do that. Let me know.

Thanks for the comments Andy! I'll leave the design activity to you since you are very good at it. After 3+ years on the forum and owning 80 Fiddlebacks, I have a good sense of what I like and how to describe it. I hope we can continue to compliment and challenge each other with our viewpoints. To clarify my comment about the guard, the bottom area there is rounded, but the areas in front and back of the guard feel more sharp than any other Fiddleback knife I own. The knives are already packed up and labeled for return to Peter, so I can't take new photos now. I will ask him to bring it by the shop for your opinion when it gets back to Cumming later this week.

I'll take you up on the offer to reduce the guard on my knife Andy. Thanks for accommodating my personal preference in this area.

And also! Thank you for the review. Yours are among the best imo.

If my friend the knife maker likes my write-up, I can't ask for more approval than that. Thanks!!

I have been awaiting a detailed impressions/review of this model before deciding to save up and try it out. I guess the search begins for 1/8" TT canvas micarta. Great job on the review, and good idea on lanyard tube apparatus.

In particular, the Bush Hermit/Terrasuar comparison is what I wanted to see. Overall the Terrasaur fits my hand better than any knife I have ever held. Even so, my fingers are still a little too long to squarely grip its handle. For me the Terrasaur is also relatively narrow outside of the palm swell when choking up or choking back on the handle. So for me the extra handle height on the Bush Hermit is definitely intriguing, especially at the pommel where it counts most.

For those of us who prefer tapered tangs, the extra handle height at the pommel of the Bush Hermit might help offset the narrow circumference near the pommel that normally accompanies a tapered tang.

Thanks Karl. You and Jim (joarthur) are two people who were on my mind when I was evaluating these knives. I think you will both appreciate the Bush Hermit as a good fit for your long fingers and XXL size hands. I'll be curious to hear what you both have to say if you get one.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone! :thumbup:

Phil

As a "New Guy" here on the forums, having come to my deep appreciation for Fiddle Back Forge knives "late in the game" as they say, and being relatively lost in the fiddle back knives forest, it's posts like this that are the most helpful to me when selecting a FF knife. This is a great series of posts. Your screen name says it perfectly "Comprehensive"..ist. Thank You Sir
Douglas

Good job on the review Phil!

I got bitten by Fiddleback recently and purchased my first 2 Fiddlebacks a few weeks. One of them is the Bush Hermit with a scandi grind. They are currently with a custom sheath maker for a tailored pants before I ship them home. As I read more positive feedbacks on FF, I m getting more and more eager to receive them.

Don

Fantastic post Phil, and great comparison shots! And thank you for helping me not lose sight of the fact that while I actually need a Hermit, I also really want a DPM for the project I am working on :)

Back