Fiddleback Bush Hermit & Drop Point Maverick Comparison

Just got around to reading through this! Very, very nice review, I love how thorough you are.

I could see a BH in my future...

Great comparison pictures and explanations Phil. Thank you for doing this.

Now I'm contemplating getting a DPM. When one comes up in a configuration I'd like, I'll give one a try.

Well, once again you have knocked another review out the park Phil. The comparison shots are stellar to say the least. I was pleased to see that you came to the same conclusions that I was intuitively seeing from just looking at the bush hermit photos. This model has interested me more than any of the other newer designs. I have always liked the handle on the bushcrafter, but Andy's kephart has made me crave a pointier knife. When I saw the bush hermit, I thought, there it is. The only thing I would change was the guard which you also mentioned and in your case solved. I look forward to seeing more pics of the beautiful one you scored. I also look forward to getting a bush hermit of my own in the near future.

Thanks for the outstanding review.

Wow Phil. Your write-ups are always fantastic. I love the detailed photos, specs, and dimensional analysis. Most importantly, I love that you share your opinion of the knives you are comparing so we can get an idea of what works for you and why and translate that to our own purchasing decisions. Thank you so much for always being a top notch contributor to this community. Every time I see one of your posts my eyes light up. I look forward to trying these knives out myeslf as well.

Thanks for the nice comments Ryan. In this kind of comparative review, I always try to include what I call the three O's; Objective data, Observations, and an Opinion. That way folks can either agree with the conclusion I offer or just use the first two O's to form their own Opinion.

As a "New Guy" here on the forums, having come to my deep appreciation for Fiddle Back Forge knives "late in the game" as they say, and being relatively lost in the fiddle back knives forest, it's posts like this that are the most helpful to me when selecting a FF knife. This is a great series of posts. Your screen name says it perfectly "Comprehensive"..ist. Thank You Sir
Douglas

Thanks Douglas. I try to arrange photos and write in a way that will be helpful to both new and experienced members in deciding which Fiddleback to buy for their taste and uses.

Well done Sir
Well done:thumbup:

Was this reply meant for the Fiddlebacks & Food thread? :p

Thanks Phillip! :)

Good job on the review Phil!

I got bitten by Fiddleback recently and purchased my first 2 Fiddlebacks a few weeks. One of them is the Bush Hermit with a scandi grind. They are currently with a custom sheath maker for a tailored pants before I ship them home. As I read more positive feedbacks on FF, I m getting more and more eager to receive them.

Don

Nice choice on the Bush Hermit Don. I hope you post some pictures with the sheath when you receive it. :thumbup:

Fantastic post Phil, and great comparison shots! And thank you for helping me not lose sight of the fact that while I actually need a Hermit, I also really want a DPM for the project I am working on :)

I appreciate the compliment Brian. I guess this is payback for all the wish list enabling you have caused me with your fantastic reviews.

Just got around to reading through this! Very, very nice review, I love how thorough you are.

I could see a BH in my future...

Thanks Orion. Maybe the future is today since there are three nice Bush Hermits in today's batch...

Great comparison pictures and explanations Phil. Thank you for doing this.

Now I'm contemplating getting a DPM. When one comes up in a configuration I'd like, I'll give one a try.

I appreciate the compliment Nathan. I love the fact that you used the objective data and observations to draw your own conclusion that the Drop Point Maverick is the better choice for you.

Well, once again you have knocked another review out the park Phil. The comparison shots are stellar to say the least. I was pleased to see that you came to the same conclusions that I was intuitively seeing from just looking at the bush hermit photos. This model has interested me more than any of the other newer designs. I have always liked the handle on the bushcrafter, but Andy's kephart has made me crave a pointier knife. When I saw the bush hermit, I thought, there it is. The only thing I would change was the guard which you also mentioned and in your case solved. I look forward to seeing more pics of the beautiful one you scored. I also look forward to getting a bush hermit of my own in the near future.

Thanks for the outstanding review.

Thanks for the kind words Tod. You have a great eye for detail and a great understanding of what works from a users perspective. Knowing your taste in knives, I think that you will really like the Bush Hermit.

Someday I hope to graduate to video reviews, but you set the bar very high with your first video. I still go back and watch that one to see how excellent it can be done.

Phil

Excellent review!!! :thumbup:

Your detailed review helped push me over the edge, and I just claimed a BH of my own! :cool: :D Thank you for such a thorough write-up!!! :thumbup:

Just found this thread. Thank you, Phil, for another helpful review. You keep refining how to present information so that we can evaluate which models might suit us.

Excellent review!!! :thumbup:

Your detailed review helped push me over the edge, and I just claimed a BH of my own! :cool: :D Thank you for such a thorough write-up!!! :thumbup:

I am glad that you enjoyed the write-up and photos. You went over the edge in grand style with that Navy burlap Bush Hermit. I enjoyed your pictures and comments too.

Just found this thread. Thank you, Phil, for another helpful review. You keep refining how to present information so that we can evaluate which models might suit us.

Thanks Jim. I try to improve a little bit in my evaluation techniques each time I do something like this. I hope you get a chance to see how the Bush hermit fits your big paws.

What sheath would you recommend for the Bush Hermit? How do you carry?

Congratulations Blueghost203 on scoring your Oreo burlap Bush Hermit. That is a very nice one.

In regard to sheaths for the Bush Hermit, I suggest you review the “Where to find sheaths for your Fiddlebacks” sticky thread at the top of the page to pick a sheath maker whose style suits your taste. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1289250-Where-to-find-sheaths-for-your-Fiddlebacks

I have an older RH vertical carry JouFuu pouch sheath that was made for a Fiddleback Hunter, Bushcrafter Sr., or Leuku laying around unused because I sold a couple of those models. It fits the Bush Hermit about perfect.

Thanks guys!

Phil

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this write-up, as well as others. It's a lot of work to produce this level of detail.

Exceptional photography. Depth, color, focus/sharpness... It's all there. That's the benchmark to strive for.

As a beginner in the Fiddleback World I found this comprehensive review to be invaluable. Thank you for all the time and effort to put it together -- and for sharing it! A BIG thanks!!

I was a little surprised to see this thread bumped and realize that this was exactly a year ago that I posted it. I am even more surprised that my Photobucket links still work here, but not on many other threads. Enjoy the photos while they last I guess.

I appreciate the nice comment osprey888. I am glad that you found this thread useful. I will tell you after a year that the Bush Hermit remains my top pick for a 4” Fiddleback for various outdoor tasks. I like the Drop Point Maverick too, but that model is less available of late.

My wife claimed the beautiful burl Bush Hermit shown at the end of my original thread. That is her one and only Fiddleback, so I couldn’t say no. I acquired my own a little later. It is one of my favorite users as well as my being my best looking Fiddleback.

[/url
]

I did go ahead and remove the small guard from mine just like I discussed in the original thread.

[url=https://comp.smugmug.com/Guards/n-ZntMXS/i-gh7R98X/A][/url
]

Thanks again for your comment. Good luck with your search for the perfect Fiddleback for you. Don’t be shy about posting questions or requests for pictures around here. There are a lot of knowledgeable forum members willing to help.

Phil
[/url]

great thread on the best custom Fiddleback model so I'm bumping it for the newbies

I’m probably in the minority here, but the DP Maverick fits my hand better than any other fiddleback I’ve held, and I’ve handled my fair share.

The Maverick is deceptive that way. From the day I designed it I had to tell people to keep an open mind and get it in hand before judging it. My drawings are two dimensional, so even the crew didn't believe it was a functional handle before I finished the first one. I kept telling them to wait till I finished one. Its a very comfortable handle, and it is a VERY secure handle to hold. Its what I call grip positive.

Back