Fiddleback Collections

Wow! Very nice collection Phil!

Looks like drunken burlap, or maybe coffee bag, over natural micarta with a red pin stripe from here. I don't recall seeing the red stripe before, but drunken over natural has been done a few times. And yes, it does look a little different due to the handle size.

The Camp Knife is from the 03/14/2014 batch. It is drunken burlap over natural canvas with an orange pinstripe. This burlap looks right in between coffeebag and drunken coffebag up close. Less wine color and a few green highlights.

I prefer pinstripes that are green, white, or black. I am not a fan of orange pinstripes, but sometimes a man has to make compromises...

Thanks all for the nice comments.

Phil

The Camp Knife is from the 03/14/2014 batch. It is drunken burlap over natural canvas with an orange pinstripe. This burlap looks right in between coffeebag and drunken coffebag up close. Less wine color and a few green highlights.

I prefer pinstripes that are green, white, or black. I am not a fan of orange pinstripes, but sometimes a man has to make compromises...

Thanks all for the nice comments.

Phil

Feel free to send any orange pinstripes my way, where they can be appropriately appreciated. 😄

Michael

Sorry to go of topic here but I can't hold back anymore an I have to speak my mind. I must say it has been a real pleasure watching this thread sense it has started and it also breaks my heart truly. This thread and the other threads where users show off photos of FF knives that hasn't seen the light of day or flied time. It’s really nice to so many beautiful knives but it’s also so, so, so sad to see all these safe queens just sitting around not being used. For people to be able to brag about how many they have. I am not saying they are all safe queens an thats what everyone is doing but most are. If the shoe fits then wear it they know who they are. Please don’t get me wrong, as I am kind of new here compared to some of the old timers. But most of you have seen me around the shark pool fishing over the last few months. When I catch one and it is not what I am looking for as a user knife I throw it back to in the pool for the other sharks to feed off of. I’ve also sharked a few of you over on flea bay and tossed them back in the pool here. Another thing is it helps those that are not able to set in front of a computer all day on a Friday.

It’s not that I have the lack of funds to buy one of each of the knives that Andy makes which isn’t the case. It’s that I have no uses for all the types of knives he makes. I know that there will be some that will say well it’s the first time he’s done that type of scale combo or color something like that. As im sure some will say they must have one of every type he makes which is also cool. The one thing I do know is that I’ve read and seen a few videos where Andy has said that he wants his knives to be used and that they are tool to be used hard an not to collect dust. Then here you have so many safe queens here an it really breaks my heart to see so many great tools being wasted and not used. Don’t get me wrong I do not hate on anyone. I’m just saying that these knives are made to be a tool to be used not to collect dust.

Sorry to go on a rant but I had to get it off my chest and I hope I didn’t offend or upset anyone here as it wasn’t my intention. My intention is to say how much that I love Fiddleback Forge Knives an the Fiddleback Forge family here. Chuck

Last edited:
Chuck,

Though I have yet to shark my first FB, I definitely fall in the user category in terms of knives. I don't think I can keep something I don't have a use for. Now, sometimes my excuses are pretty flimsy, and sometimes "used" means light use once or twice a year, but I'm definitely a user. All that said, I'm increasingly realizing that this industry is driven by collectors, not users. A user buys a tool and uses it until it is unusable. Then a new tool is purchased. There's not much profit in there for a knifemaker who constructs tools that will last a lifetime. Andy makes tools to be used, yes. But it may well be the collectors that are paying the bills, so to speak. And if that means he can keep making awesome tools for us users, it's a win-win to me. My biggest fear is that the day will come when prices drive these amazing tools out of the reach of users like me. It's a stretch already. But it sounds to me like Andy is pretty committed to keeping things within the reasonable scope of being a user tool. For that I am grateful.

Michael

I agree with you a 100%

Chuck,

All that said, I'm increasingly realizing that this industry is driven by collectors, not users. A user buys a tool and uses it until it is unusable. Then a new tool is purchased. There's not much profit in there for a knifemaker who constructs tools that will last a lifetime. Andy makes tools to be used, yes. But it may well be the collectors that are paying the bills, so to speak.
Michael

That's why I'm selling mine off and limiting mine to 1-2. I simply cannot use 4 FF knives justly. I need a 4 inch for fishing/ day hikes and that's about it. I've got some an EDC for sale, if no one buys it I won't complain, but sadly it will not see hard use other than stubborn cardboard boxes probably or maybe a secondary knife on a longer outing.
They are great users, I understand the collecting aspect also. It's tough. I think a lot of us enjoy "the hunt" for our perfect knife. I find that I enjoy participating in Fiddleback Fridays due to the challenge of sharking, and I really like how the participants treat each other but, really, I don't even need any new knives.
I've had a lot of knives and I've used a lot of knives. I'm not a commando or primitive survival expert, and my daily life doesnt require a knife (though I always like to have one)but I know a good strong tool when I get my hands on one. For me, Martin, FF, and AA Forge are the 3 tools I would be most comfortable with if I had to stake my life on a knife. But to just stare at them and get them out occasionally is torturing me. They are born to be used and tested. I'm glad this thread was posted, I've been trying to decide if I want to be a user or collector....I think I want to be a user.

You took the words right out go my mouth very well put Emoney2277 .

That's why I'm selling mine off and limiting mine to 1-2. I simply cannot use 4 FF knives justly. I need a 4 inch for fishing/ day hikes and that's about it. I've got some an EDC for sale, if no one buys it I won't complain, but sadly it will not see hard use other than stubborn cardboard boxes probably or maybe a secondary knife on a longer outing.
They are great users, I understand the collecting aspect also. It's tough. I think a lot of us enjoy "the hunt" for our perfect knife. I find that I enjoy participating in Fiddleback Fridays due to the challenge of sharking, and I really like how the participants treat each other but, really, I don't even need any new knives.
I've had a lot of knives and I've used a lot of knives. I'm not a commando or primitive survival expert, and my daily life doesnt require a knife (though I always like to have one)but I know a good strong tool when I get my hands on one. For me, Martin, FF, and AA Forge are the 3 tools I would be most comfortable with if I had to stake my life on a knife. But to just stare at them and get them out occasionally is torturing me. They are born to be used and tested. I'm glad this thread was posted, I've been trying to decide if I want to be a user or collector....I think I want to be a user.

You took the words right out go my mouth very well put Emoney2277 .

Thanks man, it is to be noted, though, that without the collectors, many knife makers may not even be to sustain their craft. The dudes that own several FF and continue to buy will be the ones that keep Andy and other makers going and maybe carry them to the next level if that is what they seek. Without the collectors, I probably would have never owned a Fiddleback, so for that I owe them.

I think this is something many of us struggle with. I consider myself a user, but there are certain knives that I own which lean more towards collector's pieces. IMHO, this is a nice compromise in that all of my knives get used, albeit some more thoroughly than others. This also allows me to keep a few special pieces as both heirlooms and/or investments for when Andy's business really goes through the roof (its only a matter of time :D).

None the less, I believe Andy mentioned that he makes in the ball park of ~3200 knives on average annually; doing the math, there should be more than enough to go around for everyone (more or less). If there are people out there who truly have been unable to score one of Andy's knives, I'd just recommend contacting Andy directly, or hitting some of the forum regulars up (including myself) to see what is currently available. I'd say that not a day goes by where there isn't at least one FBF in the exchange / flea-market or on a dealer / 3rd party site. I am a firm believer in paying it forward (some of you already know this), so if someone has truly exhausted themselves looking for their first FBF, just ask! :)

I don't understand how someone else's lack of knife usage could actually break ones heart. These are fully functional pieces of art. They're made to be used, yes. But these blades also come with beautiful gem quality scales, very fine blade tips, razor edges etc... These characteristics, as whole, may seem (to some people) as collectable and not something they care to use. Collecting knives and not using them isn't a new concept.

There's a "Fiddleback User Pic" thread that has a ton of pics of Fiddlebacks being used.

To all you collectors of "safe queens", I like the fact that you guys collect, preserve and keep your Fiddlebacks in a mint condition.:thumbup: It's nice to see pics of multiple mint condition fiddlebacks all in row. I buy knives for several reasons, collecting is one of them.

Last edited:
I use most of mine but some I just havent had the right situation to use. Right tool for the right situation. Something like that :)

Sorry to go of topic here but I can't hold back anymore an I have to speak my mind. I must say it has been a real pleasure watching this thread sense it has started and it also breaks my heart truly. This thread and the other threads where users show off photos of FF knives that hasn't seen the light of day or flied time. It’s really nice to so many beautiful knives but it’s also so, so, so sad to see all these safe queens just sitting around not being used. For people to be able to brag about how many they have. I am not saying they are all safe queens an thats what everyone is doing but most are. If the shoe fits then wear it they know who they are. Please don’t get me wrong, as I am kind of new here compared to some of the old timers. But most of you have seen me around the shark pool fishing over the last few months. When I catch one and it is not what I am looking for as a user knife I throw it back to in the pool for the other sharks to feed off of. I’ve also sharked a few of you over on flea bay and tossed them back in the pool here. Another thing is it helps those that are not able to set in front of a computer all day on a Friday.

It’s not that I have the lack of funds to buy one of each of the knives that Andy makes which isn’t the case. It’s that I have no uses for all the types of knives he makes. I know that there will be some that will say well it’s the first time he’s done that type of scale combo or color something like that. As im sure some will say they must have one of every type he makes which is also cool. The one thing I do know is that I’ve read and seen a few videos where Andy has said that he wants his knives to be used and that they are tool to be used hard an not to collect dust. Then here you have so many safe queens here an it really breaks my heart to see so many great tools being wasted and not used. Don’t get me wrong I do not hate on anyone. I’m just saying that these knives are made to be a tool to be used not to collect dust.

Sorry to go on a rant but I had to get it off my chest and I hope I didn’t offend or upset anyone here as it wasn’t my intention. My intention is to say how much that I love Fiddleback Forge Knives an the Fiddleback Forge family here. Chuck

For some using the knives is the pleasure, for some who don't really have the time or the environment to use, collecting can be a form of escape from the daily grind and we all need our escapes, whatever they are. Then some are just straight up collectors of art of all types and collect knives. Some like to collect and swap out as a hobby. For some who want to check them out and see what they want in a knife, then a knife kept as new doesn't depreciate the way a used one does, and they still get that amount of money applied to another knife. I am used to it now, but at first it stung pretty bad to use a knife then want to sell it to fund another purchase only to have slight use and a patina knock the price down by 30% or more. There are a lot of types of knife buyers here.

Chuck,

Though I have yet to shark my first FB, I definitely fall in the user category in terms of knives. I don't think I can keep something I don't have a use for. Now, sometimes my excuses are pretty flimsy, and sometimes "used" means light use once or twice a year, but I'm definitely a user. All that said, I'm increasingly realizing that this industry is driven by collectors, not users. A user buys a tool and uses it until it is unusable. Then a new tool is purchased. There's not much profit in there for a knifemaker who constructs tools that will last a lifetime. Andy makes tools to be used, yes. But it may well be the collectors that are paying the bills, so to speak. And if that means he can keep making awesome tools for us users, it's a win-win to me. My biggest fear is that the day will come when prices drive these amazing tools out of the reach of users like me. It's a stretch already. But it sounds to me like Andy is pretty committed to keeping things within the reasonable scope of being a user tool. For that I am grateful.

Michael

It has been for a very long time.

There are those of us who tend to do both simultaneously :)

I don't understand how someone else's lack of knife usage could actually break ones heart. These are fully functional pieces of art. They're made to be used, yes. But these blades also come with beautiful gem quality scales, very fine blade tips, razor edges etc... These characteristics, as whole, may seem (to some people) as collectable and not something they care to use. Collecting knives and not using them isn't a new concept.

There's a "Fiddleback User Pic" thread that has a ton of pics of Fiddlebacks being used.

To all you collectors of "safe queens", I like the fact that you guys collect, preserve and keep your Fiddlebacks in a mint condition.:thumbup: It's nice to see pics of multiple mint condition fiddlebacks all in row. I buy knives for several reasons, collecting is one of them.

Me too, it makes it easier to notice the tweaks and changes over the years :)

I totally agree on all three comment from Joe Duder, xxwjtxx, emoney2277, mistwalker I wasn't trying to up set or offend anyone. Its just a bummer when you see all of them just sitting around not being used is all I was trying to say. Sorry

I didn't want to upset anyone either. If I had more $$$$$$$ I would collect more!!

There are several places on this subforum to show off our Fiddlebacks. There is a sticky for Fiddleback User Pics, and this one titled Collections. I guess if I only want to see pictures of patina, field dressing game, wood chips and curls, I'll go to the sticky User Pics thread (or several others where usage is the theme). If I want to see nice and shiny pristine knives, I'll come here. Then I will challenge myself to see what knives I initially see here show up in the User Pics thread, all scratched and with patina. I have a couple that I can place in that category already that were shown either here or in the "Leather" thread as pristine, and now have patinas and scratches from use. As was already pointed out, it is good that collectors are involved in the business. It will take me quite a while to use up completely a Fiddleback, or any other knife for that matter, having ground and worn the blade away so that it is no longer serviceable. Every knife that I own, with the exception of one (ok, 2, I forgot about the curly Q Bushfinger that is coming), is intended to be a user knife. Some will get plenty of use, some will only get a little use. They all will get some use with the noted exceptions. Chuck, this sounds a little bit like my wife's "why do you need another knife" question that I hear every time I bring another one home. Truth be told, I have not needed another knife in a very long time, long before I ever started to hang out here. I am fascinated by knife design, artisanship, intended knife usage, metallurgy, comparing and contrasting the different designs with the different usages, and staying in compliance with the Boy Scout motto of "Be Prepared." I do not own one center fire firearm that I have never shot, or that I do not have ammunition that I reload for it. One of them is an Model 1886 Winchester made in 1901 that used to be my grandfather's, father's and now mine. I still shoot this gun, albeit not very often. It is my hope that my son and daughter, my grandsons, etc., will be shooting this long after I am gone. I wish the same for the plethora of knives that I own. I have given my son probably a dozen knives in the past year, and he lives in suburbia. I have given my 12 y.o. grandson two in the past year, and I enjoy immensely showing him how to use them, maintain them, sharpen them etc., and instilling the appreciation of well made hand crafted and hand forged knives.

Hopefully the two noted knives that I never intend to use go up enough in value that I can sell them, then buy 5 or 6 more that I can use. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

For all involved, this is healthy conversation between the very people supporting / making this community happen; no need to apologize! :thumbup: This is an ongoing topic that the knife community struggles with. Most of the time you see it with pieces >$200, but you would be surprised with the amount of banter over the ages of people debating whether to use/not use knives that they collect, and the respective virtues of each argument. IMHO, it comes down to exactly what Mist said about escapism, and all of this being a hobby / for fun.

Without going too much more OT, I'd say that many (not all) of the collectors on the forum would be more than willing to sell / trade with folks if they asked. This provides a win/win for both parties (in most circumstances) in that the collector either gets a new / different piece (or gets paid fair market value), and the user / FB newbie / non-collector gets their desired knife. Sometimes this doesn't always pan out, but I've been on both ends of these types of transactions, and in the end (usually) everyone walks away happy. :cool:

I agree with what Joe said so nicely. There are numerous threads on this sub-forum to cater to whatever type of Fiddleback buyer that you are.

Since the theme of this thread is "Collections", you are going to get responses and photos from people with more than one or two Fiddlebacks. That is why we click on this topic. The group photos serve an important purpose to newbies and regulars alike. They provide perspective on relative knife sizes, blade shapes, handle shapes and contours, handle materials, etc., that doesn't come out in individual knife photos. In a sense, we all purchase Andy's knives with the best of intentions based on a description (and hopefully a photo), but without holding it in hand to evaluate. I believe that the main benefit of this thread is to provide as much information as possible to others to help them with the decision process, rather than a "look what I got" purpose.

There are some Fiddleback models that I have no personal need or use for. I still enjoy reading about them and seeing photos and learning about the design that went into them. As the Bushcraft Northwest company motto say, "Knowledge weighs nothing" (so why not have it.) I consider this thread to be like going on a photographic safari. I can enjoy the photos without having to kill (or buy) everything that I see.

I wish you all good luck in deciding and getting the perfect Fiddleback for you (whatever your "use.")

Phil

Back