Fiddleback Collections

To me, the maroon looks a lot better in person than in any photos

I agree Mist. I was thinking to go out and get some full sun pictures, those maroon handles really pop in full sun, plus you can really close down the apperature to get a better depth of field for group shots. I do not have any bounce flash capability, and I always have problems with direct flash on shiny objects. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever saw an indoor picture of any of your knives. When I am out and in the woods, I always have a couple of knives, and rarely have a camera. I think that I will have to rectify that this Spring.

Edit: I have seen indoor pics of knives from Mist in the kitchen. I stay away from that thread as I am already over weight enough:).

Last edited:
Maroon looks classy (especially with a mosaic pin :D) and is still takes hard use very well. Cleans up fine and is easily restored to as new condition with a bit of wax.

Very happy that I managed to get a perfectly matched Camp and Ladyfinger from Andy:thumbup:

I agree Mist. I was thinking to go out and get some full sun pictures, those maroon handles really pop in full sun, plus you can really close down the apperature to get a better depth of field for group shots. I do not have any bounce flash capability, and I always have problems with direct flash on shiny objects. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever saw an indoor picture of any of your knives. When I am out and in the woods, I always have a couple of knives, and rarely have a camera. I think that I will have to rectify that this Spring.

Edit: I have seen indoor pics of knives from Mist in the kitchen. I stay away from that thread as I am already over weight enough:).

Yeah, the maroon really doesn't pop in the indoor pics the way it does outside in full light. But then, if using it in an article, I would have to subdue the blade with a patina to do away with the high amount of reflection of light off the blade, in order to use the light to get the handle color to pop. Switching to aperture to subdue the blade, also has the effect of distorting the handle color...as well as the other colors. That was one of the reasons I turned your kind offer to loan me your's...plus I would really just rather use my own knife anyway, so I can darken the blade if I want, and use it how I want with no second guessing myself. Also that was the reason I sent the SP I had back to Andy in trade for another knife at a future date. It was stainless, there was no easy solution to subduing the blade for photos.

But hey, this is the thread was shot indoors in my kitchen, and the food is quite healthy thank you very much!! :D
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1137173-Sneaky-Stir-Fry

Current state of play.
image_zpse1c8c0c2.jpg

I guess it is kind of a rebeginning after all my flipping over the past year. I do believe I'll be keeping these three for a while. :)

Slate Blue G10.

I know what you mean. I don't want to part with any of the ones I have left after this winter. I've thought about marking them up with a file to make them unsellable...but just can't bring myself to deface them that way :)

Cool, it looks more blue in your photos than in Andy's. I'll have to watch for more photos of the slate since my wife loves blue handles.

I know what you mean. I don't want to part with any of the ones I have left after this winter. I've thought about marking them up with a file to make them unsellable...but just can't bring myself to deface them that way :)

Cool, it looks more blue in your photos than in Andy's. I'll have to watch for more photos of the slate since my wife loves blue handles.

Funny you mention marking them up.. not that I'd readily take a file to any of my fiddlebacks, but I'd be curious as to how some spine jimping might fare on a bushfinger or kephart... food for thought and a very functional mod!

Sweet TRIO Captain....very nice indeed.
Thanks RC!

I noticed that. The blue is little more muted in person. My picture also makes the ruby burlap look more like ketchup. It is a little darker in person.

Here is the current state of my collection. Six months from now it will probably look different from a couple acquisitions, a couple trades, or a couple of sales. Who knows? That is all part of the refining process for me that makes it fun to hang out here and deal with a great group of people.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

(Top to Bottom: Camp Knife, Woodsman, Big Sneaky Pete, Bushfinger, Kephart, Bushfinger, Sneaky Pete, Bushcrafter, Arete, & Hiking Buddy)

(Left to Right: Camp Knife, Woodsman, Big Sneaky Pete, Bushfinger, Kephart, Bushfinger, Sneaky Pete, Bushcrafter, Arete, & Hiking Buddy)

Only one pair of Talfuchre (Diomedes Industries) pants in the whole nudist colony... I am working on that.

Nice collection Phil -- I'm not sure where to start, but great range of both models and handle variations!

Well done sir:thumbup:

One beautiful collection. The color in the maroon HB really pops in the sun. Now you need to get some wood. Oops:eek:, now I am sounding like bear71

BEAUTIFUL collection! WOW! You have chosen very wisely! How old is that Camp knife, I've never seen that handle combo, or maybe it just looks different on a huge knife! LOL

-Will

Wow! Very nice collection Phil!

BEAUTIFUL collection! WOW! You have chosen very wisely! How old is that Camp knife, I've never seen that handle combo, or maybe it just looks different on a huge knife! LOL

-Will

Looks like drunken burlap, or maybe coffee bag, over natural micarta with a red pin stripe from here. I don't recall seeing the red stripe before, but drunken over natural has been done a few times. And yes, it does look a little different due to the handle size.

Back