Fiddleback Firesteels?

Just thought I would ask.... Andy have you ever considered offering something like 3/8 firesteels with bullseye tube handles?

I am sure there are plenty of folks who would be interested as they would be a great compliment to the knives. Would not have to be a custom order thing, just a few offered every now and then using materials that are seen used for the knives. Pretty please?

They could be fancy with pinstripes or something simple like a black micarta or canvas micarta and bulls eye tube. That combo would go well with a lot of Fiddlebacks out there.

Figure out what they need to cost to make some money or how about hiring a part time guy to just make a few dozen a week? :D

I can not imagine them not selling well.

Might even be a way to use up some scraps that are too small for knife handles.

Any body second the idea?

If no interest....no problem...just though it would not hurt to ask.

If there is an interest...I call dibs on the first osage and the fist bocote. :)

I'll second that second! I now have an itch for 2 black canvas with an orange center stripe, one ivory with orange, one natural, and... Are you taking my order??? Great idea!

DD

Just thought I would ask.... Andy have you ever considered offering something like 3/8 firesteels with bullseye tube handles?

I am sure there are plenty of folks who would be interested as they would be a great compliment to the knives. Would not have to be a custom order thing, just a few offered every now and then using materials that are seen used for the knives. Pretty please?

They could be fancy with pinstripes or something simple like a black micarta or canvas micarta and bulls eye tube. That combo would go well with a lot of Fiddlebacks out there.

Figure out what they need to cost to make some money or how about hiring a part time guy to just make a few dozen a week? :D

I can not imagine them not selling well.

Might even be a way to use up some scraps that are too small for knife handles.

Any body second the idea?

If no interest....no problem...just though it would not hurt to ask.

If there is an interest...I call dibs on the first osage and the fist bocote. :)

Count me in. :thumbup::thumbup:

If Andy can make some for a reasonable price that compliment his knives and still make it worth his time, I'm all for it! :)

How many posts do we need before Andy says yes? We have to be getting close to a "maybe." :D

Perhaps it is not a money maker or it would take too much time away from the knives and I can understand that....but I think it would be cool and would make some nice sets for those of us with Fiddlebacks, seems quite a few others agree.. Thanks for the support of the idea!

I would wager it is NOT a money maker - and a low return on time spent. I made a bunch for sale - nice burl - and they didn't move in the least - and they were hand carved at 30 dollars each.

If I were Andy - I would not venture into this - however - scraps could be used by others to make some - that would be a fun side project from someone else.

TF

I would wager it is NOT a money maker - and a low return on time spent. I made a bunch for sale - nice burl - and they didn't move in the least - and they were hand carved at 30 dollars each.

If I were Andy - I would not venture into this - however - scraps could be used by others to make some - that would be a fun side project from someone else.

TF

Hmmmmmm, you may be on to something there. How 'bout an apprentice initiation right-of-passage? :D

DD

Perhaps, but the bulls eye tube is "the thing". This, more than anything else, would tie the knife and the firesteel together as a set. It would not seem right for anyone but Andy to do that (especially for sale) as it is sort of a Fiddleback trademark.

The problem is Andy's knives make most firesteels look bad. They clash when they should blend....a trivial problem but a problem none the less.

I guess I also see it as a way for folks who love the knives but are low on cash to get back into the game on Friday afternoons :D

Last edited:
Yeah - buy Andy's scraps large enough to make a firesteel - learn how to make the bullseye tube - and have at it - it would take very little to get started.

TF

TF, I think you nailed it. I make firesteels for mine on occasion and they are anything but a money maker. I basically end up making them for free most of the time.

TF

Matching FS would be very cool but I would guess they would be pricey. To step away from the grinder to put firesteels together would not make much sense to me. If you could request scraps that match your knife that would be awesome.

Back