Fiddleback Foraging

Here's the video I made from my black morel hunt on Saturday! It features both my Fiddleback and Osprey Knife and Tool knives. I'd love to know what you guys think. Also do you guys prefer links or embedded videos? I included both because I prefer links, I like to watch them in full screen, but I can see the ease of viewing that comes from embedded videos.

[video=youtube;HbZg7MiyxVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbZg7MiyxVo[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbZg7MiyxVo

We got out again today for a few hours. Ended up with another 100 or so. Mostly nice big fresh ones! I was so interested in finding these morels (it was a new area for me) that I forgot to take pictures of my pack set up and how I carry my F2. Next time!

Here's the final pile. Lots of really nice large morels today.
aCpDBMGl.jpg

The two largest of the day, also the two largest black morels I've ever picked.
1TX24TNl.jpg

I also stopped to take a picture/have a few bites of this. It's called stonecrop (Sedum lanceolatum), it's a nice little edible succulent that is very common around here. Good trail snack or something to take home for salads and such. I've tried pickling it before, but my pickling recipe needs work.
XnqJBr3l.jpg

Last edited:
Do any of you mushrooms experts recommend a book about mushroom identification? I have about a dozen varieties of mushrooms growing on my place and I haven't a clue as which ones are safe to eat. Thanks.

Here's a pic of just what's in the front. The top left and middle left were growing on stumps. The others were growing in dirt.

wan5h3.jpg

Last edited:
Great post and video Odaon! Makes me want to head to higher elevation and go mushroom hunting!!

Do any of you mushrooms experts recommend a book about mushroom identification? I have about a dozen varieties of mushrooms growing on my place and I haven't a clue as which ones are safe to eat. Thanks.

Here's a pic of just what's in the front. The top left and middle left were growing on stumps. The others were growing in dirt.

wan5h3.jpg

Hard to see the details of these mushrooms, but I can say that you definitely have Amanita species which are the ones with the spots on their caps (2 pictured here), and a Russula, probably R. emetica. It's the white and red one.

I wouldn't advise eating any of those that you have shown. I have seen some posts of people finding chanterelles from Texas recently. Those are great to eat.

Thank you. I love mushrooms but I hate liver transplants. I'll learn a lot before I attempt to eat one. I wonder what my ex is up to?

Haha! That's definitely not the case, but every where does have a few nasty ones!

No fungi..no rain lately, but I did find a couple of small Dewberry patches yesterday while working, and some garlic further along in flowering.

DSC_8353.jpg

DSC_8299.jpg

Love it! It's looking like a great berry year this year. Hoping to make some jams this year.

Love it! It's looking like a great berry year this year. Hoping to make some jams this year.

We finally got some rain today so that will help the berries some. usually the Dewberries are sweeter than the blackberries if we have a dry summer...

Had another great day of morels on the mountain. Took out 5 beginners with me and showed them the ropes. We found 150 total.

Here's my favorite picture from the day. Morels, with my F2 and some Fairy slipper orchids (Calypso bulbosa).

QHNzeRC.jpg

This photo is suitable for framing......thanks for sharing !

The blueberries are not quite ready and the cabbage in the garden still has a little more growing to do.

03dccc4eea1c74c44c99ae5ba74ea535.jpg

b94eeab68a8fb3bef1cb97302a5d9318.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nice odoan

that cabbage is going to take a whole lot of pepper sauce!!!!!

nice odoan

that cabbage is going to take a whole lot of pepper sauce!!!!!

quarter it, wrap in foil with butter, salt and pepper, bake it for one hour at 400* until it caramelizes. Holy crap is it good!

Back