1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Fiddleback Foraging

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Odaon, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Here's the video I made from my black morel hunt on Saturday! It features both my Fiddleback and Osprey Knife and Tool knives. I'd love to know what you guys think. Also do you guys prefer links or embedded videos? I included both because I prefer links, I like to watch them in full screen, but I can see the ease of viewing that comes from embedded videos.

[video=youtube;HbZg7MiyxVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbZg7MiyxVo[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbZg7MiyxVo

We got out again today for a few hours. Ended up with another 100 or so. Mostly nice big fresh ones! I was so interested in finding these morels (it was a new area for me) that I forgot to take pictures of my pack set up and how I carry my F2. Next time!

Here's the final pile. Lots of really nice large morels today.
    [​IMG]

The two largest of the day, also the two largest black morels I've ever picked.
    [​IMG]

I also stopped to take a picture/have a few bites of this. It's called stonecrop (Sedum lanceolatum), it's a nice little edible succulent that is very common around here. Good trail snack or something to take home for salads and such. I've tried pickling it before, but my pickling recipe needs work.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. schmittie

schmittie

Nov 28, 2009
    Awesome!

3. BFS

BFS Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Do any of you mushrooms experts recommend a book about mushroom identification? I have about a dozen varieties of mushrooms growing on my place and I haven't a clue as which ones are safe to eat. Thanks.

Here's a pic of just what's in the front. The top left and middle left were growing on stumps. The others were growing in dirt.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  4. hasco

hasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Great post and video Odaon! Makes me want to head to higher elevation and go mushroom hunting!!

5. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Thank you!

6. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Hard to see the details of these mushrooms, but I can say that you definitely have Amanita species which are the ones with the spots on their caps (2 pictured here), and a Russula, probably R. emetica. It's the white and red one.

I wouldn't advise eating any of those that you have shown. I have seen some posts of people finding chanterelles from Texas recently. Those are great to eat.

7. BFS

BFS Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Thank you. I love mushrooms but I hate liver transplants. I'll learn a lot before I attempt to eat one. I wonder what my ex is up to?

8. Dman3d

Dman3d

Jul 9, 2013
    Wow great haul, I think every fungus down here is lethal. (flo-rida)

9. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Haha! That's definitely not the case, but every where does have a few nasty ones!

10. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    No fungi..no rain lately, but I did find a couple of small Dewberry patches yesterday while working, and some garlic further along in flowering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Love it! It's looking like a great berry year this year. Hoping to make some jams this year.

12. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    We finally got some rain today so that will help the berries some. usually the Dewberries are sweeter than the blackberries if we have a dry summer...

13. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Had another great day of morels on the mountain. Took out 5 beginners with me and showed them the ropes. We found 150 total.

Here's my favorite picture from the day. Morels, with my F2 and some Fairy slipper orchids (Calypso bulbosa).

[​IMG]

14. prom52

prom52 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2014
    This photo is suitable for framing......thanks for sharing !

15. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    The blueberries are not quite ready and the cabbage in the garden still has a little more growing to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    That's a big ol' cabbage!

Edit: Whoa! 1000 posts. Awesome.

17. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    nice odoan

that cabbage is going to take a whole lot of pepper sauce!!!!!

18. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    quarter it, wrap in foil with butter, salt and pepper, bake it for one hour at 400* until it caramelizes. Holy crap is it good!

19. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    i will definitely give that a go next time

thanks

20. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    That sounds awesome.