1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Fiddleback Foraging

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Odaon, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Fiddleback Outpost

Fiddleback Outpost Fiddleback Forge Knives & Fiddleback Outpost Gear

Apr 29, 2016
    Great pics! This would make a great blog post for the new site!

Odaon and Oyster like this.
  2. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Glad to hear it man! They're definitely tasty. How did you cook them?

Thanks man! I've been so busy lately I haven't even had time to write for my own site haha!!

Fiddleback Outpost likes this.
  3. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    I steeped them in hot water for awhile to rehydrate them. Then cooked them with onions and garlic....served on a hamburger steak iirc....im pretty sure i posted a pic in the food thread

4. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    I have a vague recollection of it not that you mention it! Sounds delicious. Makes me want to go find some before I make dinner!

5. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    A little more foraging action!

Morels
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first half-free morel, they're rare in Colorado.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nettles
    [​IMG]

Garlic mustard
    [​IMG]

Loving my F2 as always! Though I like to call it my F3. Fish, Fowl, Forage. :D
    [​IMG]

B Griffin, prom52, Lady1911 and 5 others like this.
  6. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    It's been a while since I revived this thread. I guess I should have done that weeks ago, when I first started this series of projects. Some for the FF website, and some for another big publication I am working on. These are some of the shots I have taken in a field with a large concentration of Passiflora Incarnata, North American Passion Fruit, I have been working in. Sorry I can't share the detailed shots, I think those are pretty cool. Some of you will see those in the other project, later when it publishes. The fruit isn't ripe yet, I just wanted to share some Fiddleback-Centric images of the flowers in bloom as a PSA for some who may be allergic to bees. The meme going around face book isn't a joke or a hoax as far as I've seen with my own eyes. In times of bad weather, when they can't fly I suppose, I've seen where bees will cuddle up together on flowers and go to sleep.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    A shot from some recent urban foraging excursions
    [​IMG]

Odaon likes this.
  8. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    What is it Brian

B Griffin likes this.
  9. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Rose hips I am waiting on to ripen so I can make a a sauce out of them for a recipe I have in mind to try :)

10. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    i think ive heard of wine & tea

B Griffin likes this.
  11. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    I'll be making a glaze-y sort of sauce for some fish :)

12. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    will it taste "rosey"

B Griffin likes this.
  13. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Maybe a little :) . Roses are in the apple family, the rose hips, honey, and butter go well together when you get it right. They are also used in making chew-able vitamin C tablets which were my favorites when I was a kid.

14. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    i actually had never heard of them until they were collecting the on the show "Alaska; The Last Frontier" withe the Kilchers

B Griffin likes this.
  15. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    I first started ate some if Dallas in 1978. After reading the ingredients on my vitamins lol. Then years later a survival mentor made a glaze like I want to make to put on some fresh caught fish he had cooked. I have been wanting to do this for years, but the last several years also cost me several delays...

16. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bmurray, NoRest and VANCE like this.
  17. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    There appears to be some competition for the Elderberries...
    [​IMG]

Bmurray, VANCE, NoRest and 1 other person like this.