1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Fiddleback Foraging

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Odaon, Apr 23, 2016.

1. ni1s

ni1s Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2014
    My new Handyman, love it!

IMG_4894.JPG

Oyster, Fiddleback, Bmurray and 3 others like this.
  2. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jealous! I haven't had a chance to go check my chanterelle spots yet! That's a nice haul, where are you located?

Also, what's the one in the bottom middle? Doesn't look like a chant, but I can't really make out the details.

3. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Had a good day for the hawks wing or scaly hedgehog mushrooms on Sunday! Sarcodon imbricatus

I'll have more pictures and such in a full trip report post in the next few days.

[​IMG]

Oyster, Aias, Lady1911 and 2 others like this.
  4. ni1s

ni1s Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2014

Thank you! I'm on the west coast of Sweden. It's been a bit too set this year to be a really good chanterelle year. But I'm happy with what we've got.

The whiteish mushroom is a "Hydnum repandum", apparently known as the sweet tooth, wood hedgehog or hedgehog mushroom in English. We call it "spine mushroom", because the bottom is covered with lots of tiny spikes.

Oyster likes this.
  5. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Definitely! I thought that's what it might be. I have a spot for those here in Colorado that's been pretty productive for me when we get rain. I'll be heading to check on it in the next couple weeks, hopefully I find some to share pictures of on here!

Those hawks wings (scaly hedgehogs) I posted above are also "toothed" like H. repandum. Some of my favorite mushrooms!

I'd love to get over to that part of the world to do some foraging.

ni1s likes this.
  6. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    From earlier in the season, my Ladyfinger with a baby king bolete (Boletus rubriceps) and a cool looking little hedgehog (Hydnum repandum).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Surls Patch and the Ladyfinger came out with me today. We found a few chanterelles (Cantharellus roseocanus), a shrimp Russula (R. xerampelina), and a saffron milkcap (Lactarius deliciosus group).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oyster, Aias, Lady1911 and 6 others like this.
  7. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    That 3/32" LF is one of the posted photographed FB's around. Love it.

Odaon likes this.
  8. Bali-Flipper32

Bali-Flipper32

Dec 15, 2010
    I went out this afternoon with the intention of sitting in the deer stand and doing some hunting. It was cold and rainy and my heart just wasn't in it today. I was much more interested in walking the woods to see if the recent rain had produced any hen-of-the-woods. I ventured off intovthe woods (away from my hunting ground) and set off looking for mushrooms. Unfortunately I did not come across any hens, there have only been a handful of reports that they are up, but I did come across some other edibles. I found 15-20 puff balls, but only harvested one as I do not enjoy them all that much, I also found a bunh of oysters. I haven't eaten oyster mushrooms before, so I am excited to cook them up. I used my new F2 to collect the oysters. I gotta say I really love that knife!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. plue

plue

Oct 3, 2012
    Odaon how do you cook those hedgehogs? I've seen quite a few huge ones bumming around the mountains, but they look so alien...

varga49 likes this.
  10. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    Sweet F2

Bali-Flipper32 likes this.
  11. Bali-Flipper32

Bali-Flipper32

Dec 15, 2010
    Thanks, it is quickly becoming my favorite food prep and small game knife!

Bmurray likes this.
  12. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    The F2 is awesome! I know most like them thin and all, but I want one in tapered 5/32 or at least 1/8 for small game prep and I like being ablt to tell the knife is in my pocket without feeling :)

13. Bali-Flipper32

Bali-Flipper32

Dec 15, 2010
    1/8" would be nice, I wouldn't mind a little weight to the knife. However 3/32" is some sweet stuff. It is light, nimble, and makes for a great slicer.

14. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Yeah, I had one in 3/32 a few years ago, and have handled several others. The 3/32 doesn't suck or anything, I'm just still holding out for a thicker one though. My Handyman and Esquire both are 5/32 and I like it that way
    :)

15. Bali-Flipper32

Bali-Flipper32

Dec 15, 2010
    I love my 5/32 Esquire. I want to get my hands in a 5/32 Toboggan or Hiking Buddy.

16. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Doing a little resurrection on this thread. Got out today for some foraging after work!

Yellow morels and my favorite foraging knife! 3/32 CPM F2!
    [​IMG]

Dryad's saddle and my EDC Surls Patch.
    [​IMG]

Whitetop mustard, it's like spicy broccoli.
    [​IMG]

Cleavers, also known as bedstraw, stickywilly, goosegrass, and others.
    [​IMG]

Evening primrose, pretty plant even before it blooms!
    [​IMG]

Wild hops!
    [​IMG]

Oyster, Aias, Bmurray and 4 others like this.
  17. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Garlic blooming

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Oyster, Aias, Lady1911 and 2 others like this.
  18. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Awesome! I finally figured out where the wild onions grow in Colorado. Just haven't found a large enough patch of them to consider harvesting any yet.

Spent about 30 minutes after work gathering a bunch of stuff. :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oyster, Aias, Bmurray and 6 others like this.
  19. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    What a score

Odaon likes this.
  20. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    those morels i got from you were great last year. my first time trying them:thumbsup:

Odaon likes this.