Fiddleback Forge Knives Lineup and Contact 411

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Hey knifelovers, welcome aboard. This thread will become a stickey where I will keep a running showcase of my line of knives. I will be adding more and more pics to it, and would love all your comments, and suggestions too!

I make currently make 7 models. I've submitted the drawings to Great Lakes Waterjet, and I usually have him deliver me 20 or so blanks to add to the 10 or so I might profile myself. I try to heat treat batches of 30 or so blades, then finish them up in batches of 4 or six at a time. I only use 01 steel for my knives, and my grinds are convex. Most of the time I like using a corby bolt for the front pin. The lanyard tube I've been making up sometimes is metal, then g-10 or mikarta, then metal.

I'm moving away from making my own sheaths. I will offer them as an expensive option, but they're a money loosing proposition for me. I've now sent all 6 of my models off to JRE so they can make patterns for them. JRE makes a solid sheath, and its WAY more cost effective for me to buy them because it takes me almost as long to make a sheath as it does to make a knife. I will make one if someone insists and is willing to compensate me for the effort.

So here is the lineup:
I make two Nessmuks. THe smaller one has a 3/32" thick blade that is 4.5 with a 4.5" handle. I leave for ge scale on this knife because I think its appropoe to the design. The larger blade is mainly wider and curvier the blade is 1/8" thick and its roughly 10" long.

Small:

jedc85-vi.jpg

Large:

nessndart102_0536-vi.jpg

I now make only one Bushcrafter. Its got a 4" blade, and a 4.5" handle. I think this is the ideal compromise from the two previous designs. Here are two pics. This one is maroon micarta over Black G-10.

twca95-vi.jpg

My EDC model is intended to be a daily use belt knife. Its got a ~7" OAL with maybe 3.25" being blade. The steel is 1/8" thick. The uses for this knife range from kitchen duty to boxes, or rope, or any daily task.

fssep79-vi.jpg

I decided I needed to make a neck knife, and drew up this one I call the Bow Legged Joe on a whim at my desk at work. I thought it looked silly, but after making one I was really impressed, so here it is. Its main function is a work safe knife to open boxes or trim paper, etc. It is 1/8" thick.

jw81-vi.jpg

The Ladyfinger is my bird and trout knife. Its got a 4.5" blade and a 4.75" handle. This one is done in Baltic Birch and Paduk.

SRW326-vi.jpg

The Hunter is a wide bladed knife. Its 9.5 OAL with a 5" handle. This one is curly Koa over Blackwood.

five28-vi.jpg

This final knife is my Woodsman. Its 10.5" long. 5" handle. This one is 3/16 thick, and its the thickest blade I've ever done. They're going to be 5/32" thick usually, but I may ocasionally do a few in the thicker steel. The front pin is a SS corby bolt. The handle is Goncalo Alves (maybe my favorite wood) and Osage with a red liner. This is my favorite knife I make. I made this one for me so I can do some testing. I even spent a bit of time hand rubbing the blade.

ps35-vi.jpg

ps38-vi.jpg

ca51-vi.jpg

You guys are welcome to browse my web hosting site at:

http://public.fotki.com/FiddlebackForge/

Warranty- I back my knives with a satisfaction guarantee. When you get the knife it should make you happy. If it doesn't, return it. I'll refund your purchase price, plus shipping (domestic) back home to me when I receive the knife in unused condition. I guarantee my work to be free from mechanical defects under normal usage as long as I remain able to make knives. Natural handle materials such as stag, bone, wood, pearl and ivory may shrink, crack, and/or discolor with change in temperature, or humidity or age. As this is normal, expected, and can normally be avoided with maintenance these issues would not be covered under this warranty.

Andy Roy
249 Brookcliff Drive
Sugar Hill, GA 30518

404 519 2787

e-mails:

fiddlebackforge at att dot net

paypal payments:

fiddlebackpayments at att dot net

Last edited:
I want a bow legged joe, but I never see them on the forum for sale.. do you take orders?

I want a bow legged joe, but I never see them on the forum for sale.. do you take orders?

I do not take orders. The Bow Legged Joe is a new model, I've made ~5 pieces. I've got 8 or so on the bench all heat treated. You'll see more of them around here in the future!! I will be posting pics of literally everything I do. If you see something you like, get in touch with me!

twblanks23-vi.jpg

Last edited:
That woodsman is absolutely outstanding bro!

The good news is I only need 3 more to have the complete line up, the bad news is I still need three more to have the complete line up and I have no money.

I do not take orders. The Bow Legged Joe is a new model, I've made ~5 pieces. I've got 8 or so on the bench all heat treated. You'll see more of them around here in the future!! I will be posting pics of literally everything I do. If you see something you like, get in touch with me!

twblanks23-vi.jpg

Ok, well... you should start taking orders. :p But, is there anyway I can put my name on one of those bad boys?

Man, taking orders was miserable. I had this list I had to follow. Everybody wants this knife with this handle with this pin configuration, and hey, can I send you wood to use, etc. Don't get me wrong. All my orders came from great folks, but I felt like I was doing busy work, not creating. It got stressful, and tedious and boring for me.

There will be plenty of these if I get my way! You will get one I am sure.

Good deal. Any chance you'll make one with nice liners and one of those awesome bullseye lanyard holes? :D

The bullseye lanyard tubes are a bit large for this knife. There will certainly be some liners. I'm doing one now with purpleheart scales lined with Maple, and black fiber.

The bullseye lanyard tubes are a bit large for this knife. There will certainly be some liners. I'm doing one now with purpleheart scales lined with Maple, and black fiber.

A man can dream, cant he? :D

Man, that sounds nice. I love your handles.

Hey, how'd I miss this new forum? Congrats, Andy! I think I've said it before, but that Woodsman looks just about the perfect all-round knife. Soon as I have some more knife money, I'm going to have to get one. Maybe I'll even take a little drive and save some shipping! ;)

The Bow Legged Joe looks awesome as well, I'll be keeping my eye on those.

Awesome! Glad to have you down here KD. I've got two woodsmen on the bench with finish sanding to complete this weekend. Pretty woods too!

The lanyard tubes are three concentric tubes glued together. In this one its SS, G-10, then SS. I've also got some brass layered with the G-10, but its a bit bigger, and I just don't use brass as much anymore either.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Why don't you take a couple of days off from work to finish up. I'll send you a note to give your boss:cool:

:D

Excellent! You've got a forum. :D

Now I can always come here and admire your work.

That Woodsman looks mighty appealing to this old boy ... GA and Osage are an extremely attractive combination. I love it.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for just the right one. I know you'll get around to it eventually. :thumbup::D:thumbup:

Hmmm. That might just demand a Paul Long sheath.

Jamie!! Welcome!! Glad you like the Woodsman! Its certainly right up your alley. There are two getting finished this weekend. I can't wait to post pics!

Andy

Jamie!! Welcome!! Glad you like the Woodsman! Its certainly right up your alley. There are two getting finished this weekend. I can't wait to post pics!

Andy

I'm READY!!! :eek::D:eek:

Now ... how do I whine the $$ out of the wife?? :confused:

This will take guile, cunning, planning ... all those things I'm not really good at. :cool:

Back