Off-Topic Fiddlebacks featured on my new website

Man I wish I had morels in my yard also. Tasty and expensive. A delicacy. Odaon, is there any mushrooms that resemble the morel?

Man I wish I had morels in my yard also. Tasty and expensive. A delicacy. Odaon, is there any mushrooms that resemble the morel?
There are, but they're really easy to tell apart. Morels have a cap that attaches to the stem at or very near the bottom edge of the cap and they are completely hollow. All of the look a likes do not have these traits.

To follow up on my last post. The main look-a-likes for morels would be Gyromitra, Verpa, and Phallus species. I'm actually in the midst of finishing up my next entry for the Colorado Morel series I'm working on and details of those will be included in that section.

Cool. I want to see that.
I'll definitely share a link when I get it finished up! Here's a teaser of a morel compared to a Gyromitra sp.

Notice the differences in general cap shape and 'texture'. I refer to this comparison in the section I'm working on as 'neatly shaped' for the morels and 'amorphous' for the Gyromitra. In the second picture you can also clearly see the completely hollow morel versus the 'chambered' Gyromitra. Also note the previously mentioned cap attachment point of the morel. Excuse the dirty hands, this was last weekend in Oregon. We were hunting in a burn area for the morels, lots of burned log hopping!

qjCPcrsl.jpg

8c8CWKtl.jpg

Back