Fighter Stance ~ Horseman vs Roadhouse

Over Kill

BANNED
From a pure fighter perspective, which would you choose to go into battle with: Horseman or Roadhouse?

Why?

The way I see it, both have great features. To me, the most import would be a solid grip, and choil, which both have in spades. Second to that, would be blade shape -- and considering that both have some belly, and a great point, they're both good to go. I personally think that the Horseman/8 fits a little better in the hand, but that's ME. Both are sharper than they need to be, but I wouldn't like to think of any knife as a 'fighter'. If it came to that, I'd rather have a .45, or more importantly, the chance to get out of dodge.

That said, the correct answer would be "Any Emerson" ;)

Many folks share your view and would rather have a gun in a bad situation. I am of the old school, if i can get away with using a knife over a gun I would do it 10 times out of 10 even if my combatant was armed with a firearm. ( this mainly applies only to close quarter combat and it would be foolish to test fate with a knife at long range)

Many folks share your view and would rather have a gun in a bad situation. I am of the old school, if i can get away with using a knife over a gun I would do it 10 times out of 10 even if my combatant was armed with a firearm. ( this mainly applies only to close quarter combat and it would be foolish to test fate with a knife at long range)

That has to be the dumbest thing I have read on this forum. You never bring a knife to a gun fight. It's not being old school it's being stupid.

Which emerson folder would you take if not one of those two?

I really like the 15, it's probably my favorite Emerson. The recurve and tanto combination in plain edge is just about perfect for anything you could throw at it.

That has to be the dumbest thing I have read on this forum. You never bring a knife to a gun fight. It's not being old school it's being stupid.

It has been proven that in some circumstances a knife is superior to a gun in close quarter combat. Dont worry, I would not expect that to be common knowledge for most civilians.

Last edited:

Not bashing because I see what you're saying, but ask a law enforcement officer or someone in the military who has been confronted in CQB with a knife and a gun and, in my experience, they unanimously say they'd rather face a gun. From a self defense standpoint (if they are close) if you are able to get the gun off line using either your hands or body movement (or both ideally), if done correctly you can keep the gun offline. A knife however has no "off-line" and can be effective whether you are able to trap the weapon or not.

Of course what I am saying is contingent upon someone actually knowing how to defend against such attacks (***cough*** Krav Maga ***cough***) which isn't always the case and the attack happens within a short distance, so obviously this doesn't cover long distance views of the topic.

In my opinion, carry both!!!

I also like the CQC 15 and the Super 8.

Last edited:
A full sized 8 or a Combat Karambit serving only as backup to a larger fixed blade, rifle/shotgun, and pistol. Never go into "battle" with only your Emerson knife. I'm pretty sure Ernie would agree.

It has been proven that in some circumstances a knife is superior to a gun in close quarter combat. Dont worry, I would not expect that to be common knowledge for most civilians.

I am not a civilian and I still think it is the dumbest statement. If a knife were superior in cqc we would be teaching officers to use knives instead of guns in cqc. Knives are used as a last ditch weapon when they cannot get to a firearm. You were talking about facing a gun with a knife unless I miss understood. There are all sorts of scenarios, but if both people already have the weapons out and ready to use the gun wins out 99% of the time. If the knife is already out and the gun is in the holster then you have a point depending on distances.

if i can get away with using a knife over a gun I would do it 10 times out of 10 even if my combatant was armed with a firearm

Sticking with my initial statement, I still stand by everything I said concering your comment about the dumbest thing you ever heard...

I guess we have very different training and experience. I would be interested in what circumstances it has been proven where the knife is superior to the gun.

I guess we have very different training and experience. I would be interested in what circumstances it has been proven where the knife is superior to the gun.

Myth: You can pull a gun and shoot a knife attacker before he can kill you if he's at least 20 feet away.
Fact: If the knife combatant is wearing a vest and already has the knife quietly drawn, he can kill 95% of even the top gun combat experts. Reason: in closing the distance, halfway there, your option to shoot to the head is gone or diminished. If you got even briefly stuck in clothing in your draw, had to chamber or take a safety off, had to set a trigger (eg. either mentally, or*on a revolver), you'll be dead. If you got a shot to his vest and he took your throat out, you lose. If you are a police officer and not trained in immediate head shots, you die. If your shot does not immediately sever his spine or motor cortex (very unlikely in a fast draw/shoot situation), he is VERY LIKELY NOT to miss your eyes or throat, as a knife is FAR more accurate and certain, in it's range, than a gun. The more highly trained you are with a gun the more danger you're in. First: Mozambique will waste two shots center mass and you'll be dead before you can get to the head shot. Second: "Highly trained" means you're constantly worried about the legal ramifications of shooting someone who is unarmed. If the knife thug screamed "I'm unarmed" and charged you, your external carotid, subclavian, throat or eyes will be severed by the time you decide you can shoot. Worst of all: a gun might tempt you to stand your ground, when the safest option was to get the hell out of there!

If I had to use a folding knife in battle then that means my rifle, pistol, and fixed blade are down or lost. It also means I am alone and all this tells me one thing. I really messed up somewhere or another. If that is all I had left a Super CQC-8 or UBR Commander would be my choices.

Back