Fighter WIP

Next the webbing is removed with a file. The clamp is to keep the spacers from "screaming" at me.

031914-33.jpg

Opening the slot up:

031914-34.jpg

When the spacers slide all the way up the tang, it's time make the slot in the handle block. First I draw the shape of the handle:

031914-35.jpg

Then cut the end to the correct angle and draw on the tang location:

031914-36.jpg

Those lines are transferred to the end of the block:

031914-37.jpg

A center line is drawn, and the holes center punched:

031914-38.jpg

The block is clamped in the drill press, lining up the block so the drill is parallel to the side of the slot:

031914-39.jpg

This is done with both sides, then the material in between is removed. I use a brad point drill for most of it, since they tend to wander less.

The slot was a bit undersized, so I removed material with drills and files until it fit.

031914-40.jpg

Then I make sure the spacers are flat and straight, and the end of the block is square to the guard. If the handle butts up to the spacers, leaving no gaps anywhere, it's ready to glue. After degreasing everything.

031914-41.jpg

I use slow set epoxy, and rubber bands to apply pressure:

031914-42.jpg

I hope people from all corners of this forum take a look at this. It really shows the work you put into your craft.
I'm in awe.

I hope people from all corners of this forum take a look at this. It really shows the work you put into your craft.
I'm in awe.

Thanks, Mac! Wait 'til you see the finished pictures. ;) And it is finished now, but I won't post the final pics until the customer has seen them.

Next step is cutting out the handle shape with the bandsaw:

032014-1.jpg

Then refining the shape with the 1" wheel:

032014-2.jpg

Then locating and drilling the pin hole:

032014-3.jpg

Gluing the pin in with CA:

032014-4.jpg

Now I switch to the 10" wheel with a fresh 50 grit belt. What I'm doing here is grinding the handle material down flush with the guard, and then making a straight line from the guard to the butt, which results in a wedge shape:

032014-5.jpg

032014-6.jpg

Then I dish out the lower part of the handle:

032014-7.jpg

Now I switch back to the 1" wheel and round off all the corners:

032014-8.jpg

Then I go over it with the wheels and flat platen with 240 grit and 400 grit. When I'm happy with the curves and lines, then I switch to a 240 grit scalloped belt to remove the ridges left by the wheels. Then I go over it again with 400 grit, and then 600. Here it is at 600:

032014-9.jpg

At this point, I buff the inside curves of the guard lugs:

032014-10.jpg

032014-11.jpg

Then I go over the sides of the guard with a slack 600 grit belt, to remove any shine it might have gotten from the buffing.

Then I buff the rest of the handle, avoiding the guard and spacers:

032014-12.jpg

And that's all the in process pictures. I'll post final pics as soon as I hear from the customer. In the meantime, does anyone have any questions?

I'm in awe.

I was just thinking about how I need to remember this damn subforum!!! :foot:

In my opinion, this should be in the center of ShopTalk!!! (not criticizing Phillip for that, as he's following the new rules).

Great stuff Phillip!!! :thumbup: :cool: :)

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share this. I sure know it adds a lot of extra time to the job!!!

BTW- Did you move? It looks like the same shop you were in before...?

Oh my.:eek:
That is spectacular.

Simply amazing. The amount of work that goes into making a knife like that is incredible...

Yes, I did make it. I ground it using the flat platen that came with the grinder. It's not that hard to keep it symmetrical; it's not that critical either.

Thanks very much for the info. I may have to try and make one for my grinder. And thanks for all the info you have put in this thread-I always learn from threads like this one :thumbup:

Jeremy

Simply gorgeous. Thanks for showing us the details. I learned a couple of things along the way (and some will tell you that's a hard thing to do to me).

Wow, thank you for this. My next skill to learn in Damascus, and I am trying to absorb as much as I can.

Warren

Thanks for the wip. That pattern is awesome. I have been checking back all week to see it.

Phillip, thank you very much for sharing. Not only is the knife beautiful but the process is very informative.
Question: when scribing your edge line how do you measure and set the scribe?
Thank you.

Truly inspiratonal, Phillip. Thank you for taking the time and bringing us along for the build! :thumbup:

Back