1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finnish/Earlier Scandi axes - Kirves

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Agent_H, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I'm guessing it's a Billnäs and the KoTe is someone's after market stamp.

2. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    ^^^^

Thanks. I saw that before but couldn't get it to download. It downloaded fine off your link.

3. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    What is number 31 in that catalog? Can anyone translate "sammalpiilu lapuan"?

4. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    To the best of my knowledge it's something to remove moss with. But thats as far as I get with translating it.

As for the link: It's right there on the page: Lowest button on the side. But your welcome!

That thing has a 30cm cuttingb edge, so something in the region of 11" to 12", and weighs 3KG, so about 6 or 7 pounds.

5. rjdankert

rjdankert Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    From page 5 (in this thread):
    Just a suggestion to help newcomers to this thread. I am assuming that a new person would naturally want to start at the beginning, so that would be the first reference to that catalog they would see. Editing that post with this link would get them the same catalog but much faster (it's 38.3 MB):

Bob

Square_peg and Agent_H like this.
  6. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    The KoTe is interesting. I noticed it on two, maybe three other Kemi models that were up for auction from Finland around the time I picked up my first ones. It seems uniform enough to possibly rule out a "personal" mark. That one came from Olli69 apart from any of them for sale on the bay. With the capital K and T it strikes me as possibly an abbreviation.

Civil/government tool specific to a region/province? Red/White Guard? Mysterious... I would like to know as well.

"Kota" is something along the lines of "hut" or "shelter" in Finnish?

7. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    Measurements :p

8. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Not suggesting this is THE answer, but I found this interesting.

"Axes were in general sold without hafts up until the 1940s as everyone was expected to make their own hafts to fit the axe."

Quote from Lepola. Marcus' article:
    Headhunting Billnäs "12" Axes

Bob

9. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Right on, Bob. I regard him as an expert on the subject so I'll take that as as an operating assumption.

I haven't had any time to look up much info for entertainment in the last two weeks. So thank you :thumbsup:

10. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Got a chance to take photos. Here are some rough measurements if you are still interested:

23” total, +/-16.5" exposed, 4lbs 10+oz:
    [​IMG]Piilu Measurements by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

There’s something hairy in the eye…

Collar to end 7 ¼”

Toe to heel 6 1/8”

Connection 3.5”

Collar to heel 4”

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017 at 10:42 PM
    Kevin Houtzager and Square_peg like this.
  11. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    Just one question: How wide is the thinnest part measured on the top. With that I mean the bridge measured on the top. But judging from the looks of it, it should be at least a 1/2 inch thick? If so, it should work just fine on a 36" handle. The narrowest it needs to be to hold up is 1/4". Thinner then that and structural integretty becomes a problem.

The point of breakage will allways be the point where the blade and the eye meet at the underside. Taking a round file and making the transition round should prevent that.

So, next question is, got a spare???? Because I want one :D Only the head though!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017 at 5:28 AM
  12. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Is this the portion you are asking about or is the connection portion from the the collar to the bit?

I'm sorry, don't have an extra one - I'm not even sure what I am doing with this one for that matter lol.

13. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    Willing to part with it then????

No not that part. Look at it from above with the handle straight down. The bit itself is triangle/daimond shaped. I'm looking for the width of the part that comes next and is attached to the eye.

Since I'm to lazy to mod a pic and I have had one thats about the same:
    [​IMG]
    Measure the part below the cutting edge and above the eye.

Some info on the pick: The photo that I posted is a early medievil one (France if you look at the poll) The stick thats in there is about 5 feet and measure about 2 " wide, so dimension wise it had a 8" cutting edge and is about 12" long from backside to cutting edge. Best of all: I'm living in a city which was founded roughly 1200-ish. I live right next to the oldest part of the town, and I was overseeing a building plot. So in the weekends I used the metal detector, and eventually this came up ;) Have sold it some time ago though, because I cant use it. The force of the long handle and the 6mm narrow part would buckle if it would strike wood. This was a heads only axe

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017 at 8:15 AM
  14. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Maybe at some point Kevin. I still need to finish the interior of my traditional Finnish log home before the first freeze :D

Square_peg and rjdankert like this.
  15. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    I got a nice kemi for that ;) trade you

[​IMG]

Agent_H likes this.
  16. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    This may mean nothing, but fwiw I found pictures of two /3s with rulers and did the following comparison. Billnäs on the left, Kellokoski on the right:

[​IMG]

There seems to be a difference of about 15mm between these two in the length of the collars.

Your picture looks that way to me. Picture with mine added:

[​IMG]

The eye on mine is obviously distorted so viewers will need to make their own judgement. My opinion is the the original eye shape on mine was more likely (>50%) shaped like your Billnäs examples than the Kellokoski examples.

Bob

Agent_H likes this.