Firefox Rules!

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Ken C., Feb 12, 2005.

1. Ken C.

Ken C. Jack of all trades, master of none. Staff Member Super Mod

Jun 14, 2000
    I have always been a skeptic when it comes new browsers, fearful that they may contain errors, spy/ad ware, and other bad things that could harm my PC. I was comfortable with IE6. I know how to make it work and I can tweak it to do my bidding. But today I received a disc with Mozilla Firefox from a buddy of mine and I loaded it up. I figured what the hell, why not try it? I have come to this conclusion................

INTERNET EXPLORER SUCKS!!!

Thank you that is all. :D

2. neosporin

neosporin

Feb 17, 2003
    theres alot of new tricks in firefox. here's one to start you off: click your scrollwheel on a link and see what happens ;) after you get comfortable you should check out some extensions. one of the best is "bug me not" which lets you right click a data entry field like the new york times login so you dont need to register to read articles or forums.

3. Blackwatch

Blackwatch

Dec 19, 2000
    There's a bunch of other good extensions for it, that are sweet. The ones I mainly use are:

Firesomething - Rebadges the browser. Currently, i have "Mozilla Watergoose" running
    Launchy - Launch links into different programs.
    Tabbrowser Extensions - advances the standard tab situation in Firefox
    Diggler - helps manage the address bar
    Almost Full Screen - allows it to use as much screen real estate w/o hiding toolbar, etc.

There are lots and lots of them floating around, too.

http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions

4. FadedPicture

FadedPicture

Apr 6, 2001
    Adblock is an essential extension.

The coolest feature, added to 1.0 I believe, is the live bookmarks. You can load rss feeds from any website that supports it. It makes browsing the latest news simple.

Example for ESPN:
    [​IMG]

5. mwerner

mwerner

Apr 23, 2002
    I've been using Firefox for a couple of months now, and I was amazed when we got new computers at the department and they had Firefox installed!

6. Grim/Don

Grim/Don

Feb 1, 2003
    Switched a couple weeks ago. Only complaint... Can't play Yahoo games! Or... Can I? Any help?

7. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    The February issue of WIRED has a cover story on Firefox.

8. ThirdSec

ThirdSec

Feb 3, 2005
    My work computer is a Mac and I run Firefox's Danish version on that. (Danish, along with English, is a native language for me so . . .) I love Firefox. I don't know why more people are not already using this, but am glad I am now!

9. Roger Gregory

Roger Gregory

Jan 22, 2000
    Firefox is my default browser now, has been for about three months. I have to use IE for one or two screwed-up sites which are IE only but hopefully now people will return to making their sites all-browser friendly.

I am delighted to be able to use "Bookmarks" again, it's always been a mild irritation that Microsoft can't spell "Favourites" properly and there's no option for an English language version of IE :)

The standard version of Firefox is excellent, with a few extensions it becomes so much better. It's what Netscape would have been like if it had grown up instead of becoming an IE lookalike following the AOL takeover.

Roger

10. cockroachfarm

cockroachfarm

Jan 6, 2001
    My son is just about convinced to install Firefox, and I'm considering it also.

Question: how difficult is it for non-techies to install, configure, and use?

11. Blackwatch

Blackwatch

Dec 19, 2000
    I would say, it isn't that hard. For a basic, normal install, there is really very little that you have to do. You don't have to configure that much, etc. Maybe a little work to get your bookmarks over, if you have lots of them. If you need help, we can all get into that for ya. Feel free to even email me if you get into that issue, but lots of people here can help ya.

If you want to start adding extensions, there maybe a little configuration of each one, but still not that bad. You do not NEED any specific extension, they are optional, each and every one.

So, back to the first thing. It's not hard to install and use. I think I said all that in the hardest possible way...

12. cockroachfarm

cockroachfarm

Jan 6, 2001
    Sounds good! I guess we'll jump in and try it. (and I know we can get help here if we need it.)

Thanks! :)

13. faramir

faramir

Oct 30, 2004
    Trivial. You download the installer (a nobrainer), run it, pick either of install options (the "custom" one doesn't really give you any more significant choices over the fully-automated "standard" one) and it's installed. Then you decide whether you want to make it your default browser (select no for the first time just in case you REALLY dislike it, you can change that later and make it your default web browser which you probably will)and run it. Changing options and/or installing new components (= gizoms that help you with certain stuff) is just a matter of clicking and pointing - if youcan read and comprehend english you're safe :D In other words, my computer-illiterate grandma could do it.

And yes, if you need any help don't hesitate to ask. Not that you'd need any - i find Firefox to be "dumbed down" for the less technically-aware users a tad too much (just like M$ Exploder), i honestly wish there were MORE configuration options for "advanced" users who prefer full control of their software (i come from *BSD/Linux world).

14. Blackwatch

Blackwatch

Dec 19, 2000
    you can edit it more through the chrome files and through about:config in the address bar, if you were unaware. i guess you could, even if you were aware, too...lol.

15. The General

The General

Jun 6, 2000
    I get far less spyware after switching to Firefox... :p

16. FoxholeAtheist

FoxholeAtheist

Apr 7, 2003
    Not that I'm trying to be an ass, but shouldn't this be in Gadgets and Gear? :D

17. Ken C.

Jun 14, 2000
    FA,

We are awaiting word of a new sub-forum that will be part of Community called BFC Tech Forum which I will moderate. Until such time that the forum is up and hopefully running I will not be moving any computer related threads to another forum.

So in reply to if you're being an ass or not? Yes. Yes you are. :p :D :D ;)

18. TorzJohnson

TorzJohnson

Aug 4, 2001
    Yeah, let's hope Kalooch doesn't see it... (looks at thread starter... doh!) :)

Seriously, I love Firefox, been using it for a few months and I'll never go back to IE. I did have a weird period when I used a speed-tweak in about:config where suddenly avatars and gifs started appearing in odd places but after I undid the tweak everything went back to normal. Also you get the occasional band of garbage across the page that is easily cleared, not bad enough to go back to IE. I just use the IEView extension if I need to see a page in that browser anyway.

19. KnifeAddictAK

KnifeAddictAK

Nov 17, 2003
    Send'em to W&C ;) :p

Congrats early on your new forum

As for Firefox...DEFINATELY better than IE :cool:

20. Ken C.

Jun 14, 2000
    I'm still waiting to hear from Spark on this. The other mods like the idea as it won't clutter up G&G and Community.