First 110 -Is custom worth almost 3x the cost?

I'd like to pick up my first 110. I know I can pick one up for Walmart for <$30.

I was checking out the custom site, and they have a very nice blue wood available. But, in just the basic configuration (brass, rivets, blue wood handle, cordura sheath), the price is $78. Plus a 4 week wait. Almost 3x the cost of a plain Jane 110 from Walmart, with the only difference being the wood.

I really like the look of the blue wood, and don't need better steel, etc. - are there any other alternatives?

Can you dunk the knife in RIT dye, or use a wood stain on the wood? (I've dyed several spyderco FRN knives to get a better color).

Price isn't really an issue, but it's more of a principle thing. Doesn't appear to be anything different except for the wood.

I don’t know how dying stabilized or (in Buck’s case) laminated woods would work. I presume the wood parts would take the stain while the epoxy parts would not. I expect you would first have to bleach it, otherwise the blue will just turn the already dark wood to black.

You’re options are to either give the dye a shot and negate your lifetime warranty, or pay up for the blue.

Perhaps others have already tried this and will chime in.

Personally, I’d just put new handles on it rather than messing with the dye.

It is hard to rationalize, being your first and being a principle thing, but there is more to it than the dollar amount with ordering custom. You get what you want! If you just want a 110 then buy the thirty dollar one, if pride of ownership means anything and you are the one to decide that, then pay the 'freight'.

You don't just get different wood, as shown, the blade is stamped with the Buck Custom logo and I would hope that there is a little more care going into the build but I don't know for sure. The several that I've ordered have been fine, fit and finish wise. I don't think dye will work because it's treated/laminated wood and sealed...I've never tried. I hope this short piece will help with your decision. Preston

The wood laminate is pretty well saturated with epoxy, so it will not stain well, if at all.

Bert

For a first Buck 110 you gotta start with the iconic original, you just gotta.

Eventually you can decide to go custom shop, but not after you experience the ol' faithful Classic.

Well, what do you want...be like everyone else or have something somewhat different. I like customs because I like what I want. However, if I was going custom, blue by itself wouldn't cut it. For a little more you can get a lot more. S30V well worth the 13 more dollars, NS another 5 more. When you add those 2 the knife is only a little more than an off the shelf S30V from a re seller...but a lot more than walmart.

pete

I'd like to pick up my first 110. I know I can pick one up for Walmart for <$30.
Price isn't really an issue, but it's more of a principle thing. Doesn't appear to be anything different except for the wood.

From discussions I've had here, there seem to be a few ways to go, but I'd say one of the following:
-Get the new version for $30 and there is basically little to no risk.
-Find something used online. Might get lucky and find a vintage version.
-Use one of the smaller dealers that order a bunch of special orders and sell them in larger quantities: SKBlades and Copper and Clad. Its a better deal than ordering a custom Buck yourself. C&C have a version in nickel steel with blue scales.

Well, what do you want...be like everyone else or have something somewhat different. I like customs because I like what I want. However, if I was going custom, blue by itself wouldn't cut it. For a little more you can get a lot more. S30V well worth the 13 more dollars, NS another 5 more. When you add those 2 the knife is only a little more than an off the shelf S30V from a re seller...but a lot more than walmart.

pete

I agree that if you're only going to make a standard 110 with the only change being blue wood laminate scales, it's not really cost effective. The big upgrades are nickel silver bolsters and pins and the S30V steel upgrade.

Thanks. Not sure if I want any of the other upgrades, though I've thought about it.

I signed up at the site for the email list, and got a 20% off coupon. Unfortunately, its not valid for the custom shop. I used the chat feature on their website to ask about it, and they told me that they don't offer up any discounts for the custom shop. That's a bummer.

The other site that Coyja mentioned has some nice examples as well, may consider going that route.

Then again, Walmart just happens to be on the route I use to drive home from work...

In my experience only 1/3 walmart's carries them. I guess the price point is too high.:D

Well, sometimes, you just gotta say "what the F***".

Brass, Rivets, Blue Wood, S30V Satin Blade, Cordura sheath. Total was $91.50+tax.

Its raining here, don't feel like getting out of the car at Walmart (that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it).

Well done!

Trust me, that’s a much better excuse than many I’ve come up with...

C&C offers a blue indigo, nickel, DP version for a few bucks less. You might also find some other combos you like there or through SK blades.

Yes, I agree, you'll be glad you did. Pictures are required:thumbsup:! Preston

I spared little expense on this custom 110 and it is well worth it.
Almost too pretty.
CT9rBwg.jpg

Back