First and only general survival/camping knife: BK22 or something else?

What I carry and recommend for general hiking and backpacking...

1) Leatherman PS4 Squirt for bandage prep and zipper/gear repair

2) Opinel #9 Inox in RFP. Handles food prep and the ocassional wood working task. Ocassionally I replace this with a Mora Companion. But I prefer a pocket knife.

3) The Backpackers Handbook by Chris Townsend. On the bed side stand and well worn.

Of these, the book is probably the most important. You can get all 3 for under $100.

I'm moving to Boulder Colorado in a few weeks and want to take advantage of the hiking and camping. I'll probably do more day hiking with my family than anything else, and I'm thinking that I want a reliable fixed blade knife to throw into my day pack for "just in case" situations. I had a friend in college that died hiking in Colorado (fell off a ledge into a remote canyon), and I'll admit that this might be coloring my need to equip myself for a survival situation.

My research has pointed me towards the BK22 for a knife.

image.jpeg

I want to keep the price to under $100. The only downside that I see is that this knife looks pretty heavy, which is not the best for my pack weight. I will also carry a Sawyer water filter, SOL survival blanket, three types of fire starters, signal mirror, whistle, compass, map, paracord, flashlight, first aid kit, cereal bars, and a few other misc items. All this will be in a Osprey 10 hydration pack (3 liters of water). I'm guessing total weight will be 5 lbs plus water weight.

But back to the knife. Should I be looking at another knife for something better (but still <$100) or for lighter weight?

Been at 8000' between Boulder and Estes Park at the base line of Longs Peak in the Elk Meadow Range of Rocky Mountain National Forest nigh on 55 years. I carry this when I venture out. If your going up into the canyon in November, think avalance. Think Ice. Fuzzy Sticks and Kitchen knives are all the rage but Ice falls and Ice kills. And its like that here 8 months a year... :D

Been at 8000' between Boulder and Estes Park at the base line of Longs Peak in the Elk Meadow Range of Rocky Mountain National Forest nigh on 55 years. I carry this when I venture out. If your going up into the canyon in November, think avalance. Think Ice. Fuzzy Sticks and Kitchen knives are all the rage but Ice falls and Ice kills. And its like that here 8 months a year... :D

Can you say more about how these tools are useful in avalanche terrain? When the topic turns to avalanche gear, I generally think of beacons, probes and shovels. I've not heard anyone discuss the utility of wood chopping tools in that context but I'm not saying there is none. To deal with path making through the post avalanche debris fields, perhaps? Those can be a mess to work trough or around down in a tight valley.

Not debating. Honestly curious.

For the OP... Might want to add 4) Get and read a copy of the "The Freedom of the Hills", which is sort of the standard text on mountaineering. Includes overview of avalanche dangers and approaches to safety there.

What I carry and recommend for general hiking and backpacking...

1) Leatherman PS4 Squirt for bandage prep and zipper/gear repair

2) Opinel #9 Inox in RFP. Handles food prep and the ocassional wood working task. Ocassionally I replace this with a Mora Companion. But I prefer a pocket knife.

3) The Backpackers Handbook by Chris Townsend. On the bed side stand and well worn.

Of these, the book is probably the most important. You can get all 3 for under $100.

Much wisdom here. Knowing what you are doing and how to handle yourself in back country is way more important than the blade you have. As far as tools. My backpacking setup is a med sized folder and a leatherman PST, with the leatherman being the more critical of the two. That combo has gotten me through a number of wet, unexpected, and miserable hiking / backpacking scenarios. While I don't think I've ever needed more than the leatherman, being a knife guy, I feel like I need to have one on me most times. Plus, for a quick and dirty job (splinter, cutting duct tape or twine) accessing a folder that's attached to pack webbing can be more convenient than accessing multi tool blades.

Edit: I never answered your question because I was too busy pontificating. Nothing bigger than a 16. I say a solid folder / multi-tool setup.

Last edited:
There is also the distinction between long term and short term survival. In the context of this post, I think we are talking about short term survival in an emergency situation--you find yourself lost, it's getting dark and cold, and you have no other option but to settle in for the night. The goal is to start a fire, stay warm, and shield yourself from the elements. There really is no need to get carried away with gear choice. You won't be building a long cabin and don't need machetes, axes, or massive blades. A sturdy folder will suffice. Being even more practical, stow the fire steel simply as a backup and keep a lighter in your pack.

There really is no perfect "one knife fits all", unfortunately; we've all been searching in vain, (and still searching)...

My suggestion, for your "needs/wants" is stretch you budget to $100 even with a slight wiggle room, and buy 3 Knives to suit you, which will handle everything that gets thrown your way on your outdoor adventures;

Kabar bk5 for your deep "camping" endeavors, is a real beast! Called "Magnum Camp knife" for a reason... The 8" blade gives you plenty for chopping, clearing brush, and yet still is a pretty good slicer believe it or not... (And the blade shape is still "aggressive" in the event you would have to fight off a bear or wolf or mtn lion, even if you lose you can leave a lasting mark ;) )

Sheath can be easily attached to a pack or belt, but it is heavy for simple day trips,

So the Mora Companion fits in great for EDC carry, lightweight, easy to carry for those little hikes with the family, or just to carry around town...

Lastly, the Swiss Army Huntsman, with it's smaller thin slicing blade(s) it's perfect for slicing an apple, or whatever "light" tasks come about, and with the saw blade and scissors, can opener and bottle opener, etc. it is a great every day pocket knife to carry, and even on your camping trips or day hikes, will fill in all the gaps your "Knife" alone won't do, (you can find a different swiss army model if you choose, but that is my personal favorite)...

All 3 are easy to sharpen, no frills, and you'll likely never "need" another knife for your journeys; a true pocket knife for EDC, a true "Heavy Duty" blade, and the tweener that fills that gap; If you shop around you can buy all 3 for right around $100...

If you're "camping" out of a car, bring as much steel as you like. Hell, bring the dutch oven. Likewise, if you're going out for a night or two, not walking far, then bring a big, heavy knife, especially if you think it's going to impress your buddies. If you're going to do any serious backpacking, though, weight is going to be a major factor, and taking more knife than you really need is going to be ridiculous. I've seen grown people literally walk away from a loaded pack on a 4 day outing because they couldn't stand to carry it another step, and I, as a group leader, ended up toting most of their shit back to the trailhead for them because to leave it behind would constitute littering. In many wilderness areas you can't cut down trees anyway, and in some you can't build fires either, so a different order of woodcraft is required. I would personally feel perfectly well equipped setting out to do the Appalachian trail with the Benchmade 943 in my pocket right now, plus some sort of SAK or small multitool.

Last edited:
I'd say go with a lighter fixed blade instead of heavier. You're already carrying a pack, so u have essentials with you. If I'm carrying a hiking/hunting pack I carry my broker fixed blade. The sling pack in my truck has a bigger knife attached.

Also, in every pack/bag I have has a heavy duty survival blanket and fire starters. I also include with each kit a few tea candles to hold inside the survival blanket for extra heat. Each one lasts for 3 or 4 hours and is small. You can get them at wallyworld in bags of different sizes. My wife bought a bag of 100 a few years ago so I'm good for a while.

Enjoy and be safe. Beautiful and big country out there RMNP is amazing.

Mike

One point, get what you think you might like for your hiking adventures. If it's the Becker/Ritter 22, go for it.

Minor point of correction: The Becker/Ritter is the 12, and comes in over the OP's $100 limit; the 22 is nothing but the 2 in a nylon sheath.

I've got an Ontario SK-5 Blackbird, which is a very nice knife for the woods. They were well over $100 when I bought mine a few years ago. But a quick Google search shows that you can get one for $109 these days. Might be one to consider.

There is also the distinction between long term and short term survival. In the context of this post, I think we are talking about short term survival in an emergency situation--you find yourself lost, it's getting dark and cold, and you have no other option but to settle in for the night. The goal is to start a fire, stay warm, and shield yourself from the elements. There really is no need to get carried away with gear choice. You won't be building a long cabin and don't need machetes, axes, or massive blades. A sturdy folder will suffice. Being even more practical, stow the fire steel simply as a backup and keep a lighter in your pack.

This. If I am at the point of using a firesteel in an emergency situation, it's only because my Zippo, Bic lighter, and box of all weather matches all failed for some reason.

I don't personally own a BK2 as I find my Bravo 1 kind of overkill. For <$100 I would go with a tweener (I like my BK16) or if you want a little more knife I like my Ontario SP47 (love the knife, hate the sheath). The ESEE 4 can be had <$100 (my son loves his) but I like the handle on my Ontario TAK1 better (still<$100). I stripped the SP47 and love it. I hate the traction coating on the BK16 the worst. I need traction on the handle, not the blade! What are they thinking? If you want a little more length (if this is your only fixed blade for a while, not recommended) the SP49 and BK9 are both great (still <$100). A little secret? The butt-ugly Hultafors Heavy Duty for <$15 or a Mora. As I think about it, why not both and one of the big boys, if you already have a multitool and/or a SAK? I've also seen the Fallkniven F1 at around $120. I routinely carry one, albeit with a Barkie handle, in my day pack. I am hard on my knives, and the only problem I ever had was breaking about a mm or 2 off the tip of my Mora 511 (my bad). Why anyone would buy a POS Chinese knife, like the Schrade SCHF51, when you can get a Becker for about $10 more is beyond me. But I digress. So far, and this is just personal, my favorite combo for <$100 would be a Mora or Hultafors, SAK and the TAK.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the 2/22....it is an overbuilt beast though....you might look at the BK 10 instead, same knife, slightly thinner steel, less weight, but to be honest, you SHOULD be able to do everything you'd need in a survival situation with a BK16 ......

I'd carry the 2/22.....if I were YOU with weight as a concern, I'd look at the 16.....but I'm a big guy and honestly, a few ounces of weight has never really even been noticeable to me.

Now...if you start doing 50 mile weekends and weight becomes enough of an issue that you are buying several hundred dollar Titanium cooksets and such....different story.

I much prefer the BK16 to the BK2, and the 16 is still too darn big and thick for me for normal camping type stuff.

My vote is for the Mora 1, Companion, or Bushcraft Black if you want something "heavy duty".

Weight and pocket space are a concern for me on most outings. The Moras pack a lot of performance in a lightweight package.

I'm moving to Boulder Colorado in a few weeks and want to take advantage of the hiking and camping. I'll probably do more day hiking with my family than anything else, and I'm thinking that I want a reliable fixed blade knife to throw into my day pack for "just in case" situations. I had a friend in college that died hiking in Colorado (fell off a ledge into a remote canyon), and I'll admit that this might be coloring my need to equip myself for a survival situation.

My research has pointed me towards the BK22 for a knife.

image.jpeg

I want to keep the price to under $100. The only downside that I see is that this knife looks pretty heavy, which is not the best for my pack weight. I will also carry a Sawyer water filter, SOL survival blanket, three types of fire starters, signal mirror, whistle, compass, map, paracord, flashlight, first aid kit, cereal bars, and a few other misc items. All this will be in a Osprey 10 hydration pack (3 liters of water). I'm guessing total weight will be 5 lbs plus water weight.

But back to the knife. Should I be looking at another knife for something better (but still <$100) or for lighter weight?

I love my BK2 (same as the BK22, except sheath) but have to admit it is a beast. The BK10 might be a better choice for day hikes, for overnight serious hiking the BK2 would be very useful in spite of the weight, that would be up to the individual, personally I would carry it for any overnight hike.

If I was in your shoes I would either go for a mora and replace it when needed (which is really cheap and light) or spend a bit more, both in terms of weight and money and buy something like a Busse team gemini. I like light gear but if I were to have one item that is heavy then that would be my knife. I don't have one but BK-22 has a very good reputation and I personally don't think you can go too wrong there.

Last edited:
I haven't handled BK22, but from the videos I have concluded that it's too thick for anything useful. I mean, even my BK16 I had to regrind to be more useful in the woods and it's - what - half thinner? Get something thinner and tomahawk or hatchet. That's my opinion.

If I was in your shoes I would either go for a mora and replace it when needed (which is really cheap and light) or spend a bit more, both in terms of weight and money and buy something like a Busse team gemini. I like light gear but if I were to have one item that is heavy then that would be my knife. I don't have one but BK-22 has a very good reputation and I personally don't think you can go too wrong there.
You won't go wrong with the Mora. Take a look at it. &#128515;

You won't go wrong with the Mora. Take a look at it. &#128515;

Oh don't worry I didn't intend to sully Mora's good name when I said that. I love Mora in fact, I meant it as in two options on the opposite end of the spectrum. :)

Back