First and only general survival/camping knife: BK22 or something else?

It is a heavy knife. If you felt the need for a larger fixed blade, I would go with the BK 7, although the BK 15 is currently my favorite. Always have a SAK in your pocket, the Huntsman or Farmer are both fantastic, and you might find you don't need the larger fixed blade.

Although I'm not a fan of Boulder, it's close to some great hiking. Check out the Switzerland Trail, it's one of my favorites.

What I carry and recommend for general hiking and backpacking...

1) Leatherman PS4 Squirt for bandage prep and zipper/gear repair

2) Opinel #9 Inox in RFP. Handles food prep and the ocassional wood working task. Ocassionally I replace this with a Mora Companion. But I prefer a pocket knife.

3) The Backpackers Handbook by Chris Townsend. On the bed side stand and well worn.

Of these, the book is probably the most important. You can get all 3 for under $100.

Just thought I'd throw this back up since we added a page.

Fine post.

For me, the Bushcraft Black has proven to be an impressive knife for the money. Want to explore a dark horse option? The Elk Ridge ER-543BW is worth more then it sells for. Two totally different knives, but either one of them might be worth considering.

BK-16 will do you right. I ran this one stock through the RAT survival class.

P1060887_zpsa8456709.jpg

Well, after reading the comments here and doing some homework I'm leaning away from the BK22. Mostly it's just too heavy. It would be a great camp knife, but probably not a great hiking knife. My Estwing hatchet weighs 1.3 lbs and there's no way I would carry that in my daypack. I agree the BK16 seems much more viable looking at weight vs functionality. The ESEE 4, Ratmandu, and Rat 5 all seem worth considering.

I like the price and weight of the Mora bushcraft black a lot, but am having a hard time getting beyond its lack of a full tang. But for that I think I'd go that route.

I carry a SAK craftsman whenever I hike. I agree that carrying a small fixed blade (Mora?) and a Bahco folding saw would be no heavier than a BK22 and probably a lot more functional. Nevertheless, that feels like a lot to carry. Maybe not. I did a short 4.2 mile hike the other day in the mountains and noticed just how heavy even a few pounds feel. Granted, I was using a small soft sided backpack because it was all that I could find. When I start using my Osprey Kestrel 38 hydration pack with hip belt I'm sure it will feel better.

Well, after reading the comments here and doing some homework I'm leaning away from the BK22. Mostly it's just too heavy. It would be a great camp knife, but probably not a great hiking knife. My Estwing hatchet weighs 1.3 lbs and there's no way I would carry that in my daypack. I agree the BK16 seems much more viable looking at weight vs functionality. The ESEE 4, Ratmandu, and Rat 5 all seem worth considering.

I like the price and weight of the Mora bushcraft black a lot, but am having a hard time getting beyond its lack of a full tang. But for that I think I'd go that route.

What about something like the SAZ Bushcrafter? I own one and it's a nice knife that is also very light.

If the SHTF and I would have to survive in the wilderness which is highly unlikely but fun to think about I would choose the BK2/22. It chops, slices and dices just about anything. Split firewood. I've sliced cheese and summer sausage paper thin with mine and chopped tree branches 1" in diameter.

It was referred to in another thread, the poster called it his "alone" knife...... a good description.

The Elk Ridge ER-543BW, what kind of steel is in the blade?

All the info I found on the knife before purchasing was Elk Ridge uses 440 stainless, but I was never able to find out if that's what they use on 543BW as well. Appearance wise it looks as though it could be. The weak spot, like with most inexpensive knives, is the sheath. The knife itself is very well executed.

Back