Recommendation? First Chris Reeve

For me it would be Small 21 Insingo. That's my mainstay. Others come and go but that one is the one.

My advice is a small plain Jane 21, I think everyone's first should be a plain Jane 21. You're more apt to use a plain Jane and mote apt to find yourself in a situation where the small 21 would be more than sufficient as a cutting tool. Everybody says they'll buy 1 to try and most likely it'll be the only one. They have a way of growin' on you. So if you get a SPJ21 and don't like it get rid of it on the exchange, sell outright or trade you'll wind up with pretty much what it cost you or it's worth as long as you haven't abused it.

My first was a SPJ21 and once it got it's first snail trail on the clip it was done, time to go to work and work it does. It does everything from slicing peppers for my lunch to scrapin' gaskets and strippin' wire. I think the more appropriate question would be, What should my second Chris Reeve's knife be? ;) :)

Here's my little stable, my first was a small plain Jane double lug 21. Followed by a small CGG Diamond Plate 21, a Large double lug Gabon Ebony 21 and a plain Jane 25. Inkosi next or try an Insingo blade on one of the earlier models still available.

Here's my little ti tribute with a thanks to the help I received makin' it possible. :)

JSHCuVN.jpg
Q5qIgQq.jpg
9oN2yXp.jpg
[/IMG]
YuVIN0Z.jpg

9oN2yXp.jpg

Just got the knife in this evening , haven’t had much time with it but I did notice the blade is not centered between the scales at the tip. Kind of disappointing considering it’s my first crk and everyone talks about how their tolerances are so tight. The knife was purchased brand new from an authorized dealer as well

https://imgur.com/1lHJ29i
https://imgur.com/a/ebdf1

Last edited:
Just got the knife in this evening , haven’t had much time with it but I did notice the blade is not centered between the scales at the tip. Kind of disappointing considering it’s my first crk and everyone talks about how their tolerances are so tight. The knife was purchased brand new from an authorized dealer as well
IMG_3812_1.jpg
IMG_3808.jpg
IMG_3811.jpg
I would definitely get in touch with the dealer and let them know that your knife is uncentered. Pics would be helpful, though not like your photobuckets which aren't showing up here. Unfortunately, sometimes things slip through QC, even with such a great company as CRK. Your dealer should accept a return/replacement and with a bit of polite prompting might well cover the shipping. Taking another route, CRK will always make good on such issues if you contact them. It's too bad your first CRK experience went a bit sideways :oops:, but stick with it and all should be made right. :)

Pictures have been fixed. I tried calling the dealer, awaiting a response. Its just at this price point I want to be completely satisfied with my purchase, I know I am picky, but a normal person probably does not buy a 500 dollar pocket knife either !

The dealer is the quicker option if course. I recently had this happen in my most recent sebenza, a micarta tanto. I sent it to the factory and they made it absolute again. I also had double thumb lugs put on it as well. Long hard month or so of wait time but well worth it my friend. For a life long knife... a month or so is nothing

Post pictures of the centering. You can use fototime!

It is really too bad you got unlucky. This is not the norm for a basic 21. Now the Insingo blades have a much higher occurrence with uncentered blades. But not the basic 21.

Hope this isn't disheartening for you. I know an uncentered blade on ANY knife would drive me nuts. More so on a Sebenza. SO I wold just send it back to the dealer as quickly as possible. Hopefully you can get it out on Monday....out of sight out of mind sort of thing.

Post pictures of the centering. You can use fototime!

It is really too bad you got unlucky. This is not the norm for a basic 21. Now the Insingo blades have a much higher occurrence with uncentered blades. But not the basic 21.

Hope this isn't disheartening for you. I know an uncentered blade on ANY knife would drive me nuts. More so on a Sebenza. SO I wold just send it back to the dealer as quickly as possible. Hopefully you can get it out on Monday....out of sight out of mind sort of thing.

Please see post #23. I plan on getting it shipped back on Monday!

I just got my first Chris Reeve Last week. My EDC for the past 8 years has been a 940. I ended up getting a small Sebenza 21 with the Insingo Blade. It’s a bit smaller than the 940, really the size of the smaller BM knives. My first impression was that this knife is SOLID. It is comfortable in the grip (not too small) and disappears in the pocket like the 940. I sent my 940 to BM for some TLC so plan on using the Sebenza now to see how I like it over time.

I found a deal for 20% off of a large Sebenza 25 so I got that also. It is a little big for my taste as an EDC but will be great for other applications.

Back