Recommendation? First Emerson

Just asking for recommendations for my first emerson. Debating between a super cqc 7, regular sized 7, and regular 15 or possible a bulldog. Im looking for a bigger knife and a tanto but like the recurve on the 15. I would love a big bulldog but theyre a little pricy. Im shooting for around $200- $230-ish range and i really want to try the full chisel grind. Im dead set on an emerson. I have both zt emersons but really want the real thing since i have issues with both zts.

I wouldn’t dismiss the CQC-13 or the Commander. My two favorite big Emerson’s. They’re not tantos, but great designs.

I wouldn’t dismiss the CQC-13 or the Commander. My two favorite big Emerson’s. They’re not tantos, but great designs.
i was really considering the cqc 13 but I'd be too nervous that I'd snap the tip. But it is a beautiful knife

Ankerson had a video on an “abuse”/ heavy use test. It’s not as thin as it first appears, it’s thicker than a Para 2 tip. Plus I’d happily beat the hell out of it and send it in for work if it didn’t hold up. The proclaimed philosophy behind Emerson is that the heat treat and steel choice should support the heavy use.

No doubt it’s probably not as sturdy as a cqc-7b. But your talking to a guy who’s chosen abuse knife is a para 2.

I'll have to take a look at that Super CQC 7.

I own the following and I like them all very much:
- Emerson Signature Barracuda
- Emerson Karambit 3.2 inch
- Emerson Tactical Kwaiken (one of my best folders)

And I'm looking at acquiring the following:
- Emerson Kwaiken Neck Knife ($150 at Emerson)
- Emerson Folding Super Karambit 3.4" Black Blade with Reinforced Tip, Black G10 Handles - SKAR-BT ($282 at Knife Center)
- Emerson Folding Karambit 2.6" Stonewash Blade with Reinforced Tip, G10 Handles - KAR-SF ($244 at Knife Center)
- Emerson CQC-7 Fixed 4.2" Black Plain Tanto Blade with Wave, Black G10 Handles, Kydex Sheath - C7FX-BT (PRE ORDER $214 at Knife Center)
- NEW Emerson Battallion: Ernest Emerson himself dubs the shape a “trailing point tanto.” A slight dip in the spine just aft of the forward swedge echoes that style of blade while still retaining all the straight, angular characteristics and two cutting edges of an American tanto. EKI coated the Battallion’s blade in a seldom-seen OD green Cerakote.

I’ve owned a few Emerson’s and the only one still around is the Roadhouse.

What are your issues with the ZT versions?
sometimes when i wave them they will disengage. then out of curiosity i lightly tapped the back of the spine of the blade and the 0630 disengages easily. the 0620 will do the same but can take a little more of a whack.

Over the years I’ve owned over a dozen Emersons. My tastes and preferences have swayed me away from them as of late but I still own a half dozen:D My very first Emerson was a CQC-7BW which I still own to this day. I love the design and neutral handle shape. It is a lot more ergonomic than what it may appear to be. I also still own a mini CQC-15, horseman, combat karambit, Tiger and CQC-12. Out of the CQC-7 and CQC-15 I’d recommend the CQC-7. It is an iconic design and good starting point. And what I’ve learned with Emersons is that they either work for me ergonomically or they do not so I feel the 7 is a safe choice. Futhermore, my mini 15 hasn’t got as much use because it looks to be more difficult to sharpen. Just be aware that they can get addictive! It will be great to hear what you choose and welcome to the Emerson family:)

Regular-sized 7.

I'm biased, because I have a Mini-7, but even a small Emerson is a relatively big knife to carry.

Recurve blades are harder to sharpen, unless you really like edge maintenance (I don't judge), or have specialized equipment. I can only sort-of freehand sharpen, so I avoid some blade shapes.

So, there's my personal opinion, based on nothing, but it's a different perspective to add to your dilemma.

I forgot about my La Griffe and CQC-7V so I actually own 8:D I’ll probably pick up a tactical kwaiken at some point and a custom CQC-6 is towards the bottom on my wishlist:thumbsup: Just let us know which one, or two, or three you decide on going with:D

I have had a lot of different Emersons in the last couple of years. I still own roughly 20 of them. Emerson's Tanto shapes are fantastic, and his ergos are literally the best I've ever had. I have size L-XL hands, so each of my Emersons feels like it was made to fit me personally. The Super CQC-7 and the Super Commander are two of the best large knives I own (in that price range). I've not owned a Bulldog, but I do like the design. I would also say that I've had a 13 for a long time, and it's another favorite. Emerson does the "Bowie" shape quiet well, and the tip actually is thicker than it appears. Now, will it stand up to dedicated prying? I can't say, because I don't use my knives for that. I'll just say that no matter what you choose, it will be a serviceable knife for many years, backed by a great warranty. Also, unlike the Zero Tolerance models*, many Emersons come with larger/longer blades. 3.5 inches is alright, but I prefer 3.95-4.0+ in a knife that's made to be a tool that can be pressed into a last ditch defense tool at need. I keep my Emersons screaming sharp, so I've never had a situation where I was using an Emerson to cut something and thought "Man, I wish this was M390 or ELMAX instead". That said, my 20th Anniversary Commander has an S35vn blade and it is sharp.

Good luck choosing just one!

*I liked them, but have never owned one

The roadhouse is neat. I really disliked mine a lot, but tons of people seem to swear by them, so maybe you'll enjoy it?

thank you everyone, i think after everyone's input I'll get a super cqc 7 or regular sized one. And definitely getting a cqc 13 in the future

I own about 7 or 8 Emersons, and my personal favorite is my regular-sized CQC7B. Mine is a 2002 one, without the wave. For me, out of all his designs, the 7B symbolizes "Emerson" the most.

Jim

My favorite emerson and probably my favorite folding knife is the Horseman. If you want a tanto, the 7 or roadhouse. I have a roadhouse and its a beast. Its not a full chisel grind, just a chisel edge.

I'm probably muddying the waters even more, but I'd second the Commander. If you've got your heart set on a tanto, you can't go wrong with the vanilla CQC7.

I've had a gang of Emersons, and by far my favorite was the Commander. The ergonomics are top notch, and the thing pulls right through anything put in front of it with that recurve. The mini commander isn't very "mini". It's a nice EDC size. The P-Sark is another neat design worth checking out if you haven't heard of it.

Whatever you get, don't get caught up in all the BS people usually complain about on these knives. The bottom line is: Emersons are great knives. They're simply constructed of good materials, very well designed, built to last, and relatively problem-free. They don't need to be psychoanalyzed. They beg to be used hard and put away wet.

I love my Super 7, but for EDC it's a bit on the big side for me. I EDC a regular size CQC-7.

The 15 is very good, so is the Roadhouse, and I love the Commander. In the end you just have to have them all.

The Aftershock-B is on my list!

Back