First fixed blade advice needed!

I am looking to buy my first fixed blade.

I like the Benchade Snody Resistor 220 because of it's size and the way the blade (horizontally) drops below the handle with no tang or other obstructions. I do a lot of cooking, cutting board chopping and other such tasks.

I even like the CRKT Bridger's design better in that regard, though the handle is to bulky for my taste, and I wouldn't bet my life on such a cheap utility knife. I don't mean to diss CRKT, I have a few pricey knives but my M16-14T Titanium Big Dog is my current EDC. I use it for just about everything. plus I work in a bad neighborhood.

The Entrek Companion and Jag seem more up my alley, though they seem a bit pricey for 440C.

The Buck Strider Solution 888 is also pretty sweet. I love my mini-strider, but I kind of want to see what else is out there. Maybe this is the one?

So there you have it, my requirements are:
Fixed, thick blade
3.5-4-5 inches (give or take a few cm's)
Not too expensive but tough as nails.
Good in the kitchen, good in the woods - The one to take if you could only take one.
I would like it to be pleasing to the eye.

Any new suggestions or hearty approvals/disapprovals of the knives I've mentioned are welcome.

Or one of Ranger Knives, a little something from the RD Series perhaps.

The RAT-3 would I think make a good choice and blade size would fall in your low range. I have a RAT-5 and it would fall just outside your max range. 5 inch cutting surface 5 1/4 overall.
RAT-51.jpg

jeswa,

All good suggestions of course.
I'll suggest this fellow...

1442w4l.jpg

The Swamp Rat "Howling Rat"...an excellent mutipurpose knife, IMHO, for under $100.00.

Just participating here, not affiliated.

Bill

Sharpthangs said:
Might as well be the first one to say it.

PUUKKO

There are a great many people who rely on one of these for just about everything.

Check out:

http://www.ragweedforge.com

Something for every price range.
The Scandi's don't look tatical and Fearsome! They are not made of the newest Super XXX Steel..! All they can do is cut like a Straight Razor on Fire! Thats all..hehheh.:eek:

pogo said:
The Scandi's don't look tatical and Fearsome! They are not made of the newest Super XXX Steel..! All they can do is cut like a Straight Razor on Fire! Thats all..hehheh.:eek:

Preach it, Brother.

I've been camping with guys that, while not certifiably addicted knife knuts such as myself, were not novices to blades. When I let them use my $8 Mora - which they initially ridiculed, they said, "Why the hell haven't I been using one of these all along?!?".

Jeswa,

I'll second the howling rat, great knife. Also, it's cousin, the bandicoot is a great choice also. Doziers are great, but a little more money. The Cold Steel Master Hunter or Buck Vanguard are nice also.

Any of the fixed blades from ragweed forge, such as their Moras are good first choices, especially for those on a budget. They cut very well compared to most knives out of the box, but this is easily remedied when the primary grind is thinned down.

Also, be careful of a knife without a guard. When hands are cold and wet, fine motor skills are the first to go.

Ebbtide... I never get tired of your pic of the Dozier trio! In fact, I'm totin' my model 6 right now.

Mongo said:
Ebbtide... I never get tired of your pic of the Dozier trio! In fact, I'm totin' my model 6 right now.
Thanx.
There are a comely bunch, aren't they?
:D

Thanks Fellas...
I'm looking at all of the above seriously now.
The mora, puukka, howling rat and others...
The Doziers are just too nice! I know they perform, but they're kinda like a tasty dish that looks too good to eat.
The howling rat looks especially nice to me, the size, blade thickness, etc...
I've seen some torture tests on the rat forum, they seem to hold up to just about anything.

...just wondering how you'd compare this:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404553

O1 is tough stuff. For $100, I'd buy it. or, just buy a mora for $8, and see just how useful they are. Ragweed forge has them, as does Felinevet (forum member who also has an Ebay store).

I'm amazed at how cheap some of the customs are on this board..

Even though I first suggested a Howling Rat, because it sounded like it fit your parameters.....that nice knife is a steal (tool steel? :D ) at that price, and would be my choice. :thumbup:

Bill

I use Scandis almost exclusively in the field and kitchen except for pocket knife. I don't care what a knife looks like, rather how it cuts and functions in general. I don't feel anything cuts as well as a Scandi in MHO. The Frosts and Erikssons are cheap and ugly. The Helle and Karesuando cost more but are quite beautiful. Both cut extremely well.

You can check all these out at ragweedforge.com
Natural-Outlaw
Pray before you ride
Ride like you're invisible
Put your feet down when you stop

Okay, I'm almost there...
Would you go with 154CM-CPM or 01?
...And why?

And I'm also going to get a Mora regardless...

Thanks for all the input!

jeswa said:
Okay, I'm almost there...
Would you go with 154CM-CPM or 01?
...And why?

And I'm also going to get a Mora regardless...

Thanks for all the input!

Get one of each :D
Neither of the 2 steels you mention is bad, just different.
Sort of like girls ;)
How important is staining to you?
Either will make a good knife.
Either will stay rust free with reasonable maintainence.
The 01 may stain, the 154 will stain less.

If I may say so, don't get too caught up in the steel choice.
Buy the whole knife.
Steel, grind, edge, handle and looks.
The whole package.
A knife with the best steel and grind with a lousy handle won't be a pleasure to use.
As will be one with a good handle and a grind not suited to the tasks at hand. And on & on.

Oh, and don't write off the Doziers as too pretty.
They work. Once you get one you'll judge all your other knives against it.
IMNSHO they are the whole package.
Good luck, and remember the hunt is half the fun.

Back