First Gun?

In response to your question ... a 22LR is a good option to start with yes ... its a very mild to no felt recoil ... the ammo is by far less expensive then centerfire rounds. And the 22LR is just fun to shoot.

A great place to learn the basics and get lots of practice in.

And I see reading your post you are thinking of buying a 22LR rifle before buying any handgun? ... If so there is nothing wrong with that either ... you can learn gun safety and how to breath and squeeze the trigger and enjoy learning how to shoot.

And after you get some practice time with that if you want to move to handguns you can go with a bit more confidence and find a handgun that you'll enjoy shooting too.

A Ruger 10/22 is about as simple and inexspensive as a 22LR rifle comes and would be a good choice for a first firearm.

Try to find somewhere to take a NRA basic pistol class to start. A good one will include at least an afternoon of range time, likely with several different weapons in several different calibers to try out. That could save you some money in the long run, but most "shooters" all have a .22lr pistol and/or rifle in their collection for a reason, so starting with a .22lr isn't necessarily a bad thing.

From there, the world is your oyster. Generally I'd recommend a full to mid-sized pistol in 9mm until you become proficient with that. Then...

Doesn't matter. Just pick one. You'll get it, it'll work fine, and then after a few months or a year, you'll wonder about another gun. So you'll get that one, maybe sell your old one if you don't have lots of hobby money, maybe just put it in the safe if you do. Then you'll wonder about DA/SA guns, or 1911s, or revolvers, and you'll get something else...

Sadly for us, this is probably some of the best advice in here, lol. ;)

Good luck!!!

My thoughts on the .22 are this: everyone should have a .22. And the best .22 pistol is probably the Ruger mark series, I have a mark III 22/45 Threaded and my dad has both an old 70s era mark II and a new mark IV 22/45 Threaded. These Rugers are far more reliable than any other semi .22 pistol. Getting one of these new would be around $370-$420-ish (a note on the mark III's and IV's: get the standard alloy steel models. The aluminum "Lite" models cost more and I don't believe the alum. on a steel bolt will last decades and tens of thousands of rounds like my dad's 40 year old steel Mark II).
.22 double action revolvers are good too but the good ones like S&W or Ruger are $700+: a lot for a .22 if you ask me.

So, getting a .22 is a good starting point and it's a great caliber to have around, great trainer. BUT, you'll never learn how to be effective with a proper 9mm sidearm just by shooting a .22. So if you do get a .22 you'll likely be spending money again soon to get your proper defensive/carry pistol.

I think the consensus here is go to a range and get some lessons and training. Even just one lesson. Then decide on a proper 9mm pistol rather than trying to self-teach with a .22.

I've learned a lot about technique from watching shooting tutorials from guys like Chris Costa and Jerry Miculek..guys like that.

There certainly isn't anything wrong with starting out with a .22, but as mentioned it isn't the ideal cartridge for defensive use.

I wouldn't recommend buying a .22 for your first and only gun. However, I would recommend renting a .22 to try first, let off enough rounds until you feel comfortable, then move up to 9mm or .45.

I personally started out big and dropped over $1K on a 1911. Many gun guys would probably say I'm an idiot for jumping straight in to using a .45, but I shot that thing pretty well right off the bat. Not long after buying it, I put my own little trigger job on it to smooth up the trigger feel.

I started out with a big fancy gun, but I was also buying ammo by the case and putting 200-300rds down range multiple times a week. If you can afford (with your time or money) to train this often, you'll be shooting great in no time, regardless of what you start out with.

Once you have plenty of range time under your belt, look into trying IDPA or USPSA. Tons of fun!!!

IMG_1638.JPG I was in the same boat as you 2 years back and asked around just like you! There are several great answers here and can only tell you what I did. I went around to all the gun shops in my area and without looking at price just handled different guns in both .22 and 9mm because I had narrowed the caliber down. I made several trips to gun shops and narrowed the search down by how it felt in my hand. After a few repeat visits it came down to 2 guns.....one ended up being a M & P and the other a Sig. In the end the Sig just felt the best in my hand and after allowed to dry fire at a local gun shop there was a clear winner, IMO. I walked out with a Sig P226 that had an SRT trigger installed as one of the factory options. When I went to cash out the owner of the shop said you picked one of the most expensive 9mm, lol but he also said if you buy this gun you won't want to sell it like most people do with their first handgun. In the end he was right and I still own and love my P226 and truly will never sell it. I've added guns to my collection and still the Sig is my favorite shooter hands down. My 3rd gun is also a keeper and bought for 2 reasons; to save $$ at the range and have a gun with similar controls to my Sig. That ended up being a Smith & Wesson M & P .22 compact. Great little gun with virtually no recoil and very affordable. My only complaint would be the trigger, which was similar to the 9mm M & P I was looking at when I bought my first gun. Hope this helped a little! Gluck and don't let anyone talk you into a certain brand but go by what feels best in hand to you.

I meant to add that if you're simply interested in learning about firearms and shooting and you want to take it slow then the Ruger 10/22 rifles are unbeatable. I gather you have no real firearm experience as of yet. Starting slow is great. Don't feel like you have to jump right into pistol shooting (the hardest type of marksmanship) unless you fell comfortable and ready.

I'm an avid shooter but one of my favorite pastimes is a day at the range with a 10/22 and a big box of ammo!

Thanks for all your responses. I think I just need to get out to the range and get some practice.

I'm not sure why the majority of these posts assume you are wanting a self defense firearm/pistol for a first gun. I've been shooting for 56 yrs (started at 8) and started out with a .22 rifle and didn't shoot a pistol until I was a teenager. A lot of fun can be had and a lot learned about trigger and breath control,sight picture, gun safety and courtesy with a .22 rifle. You can even get into small game hunting with a .22.
I own a number of firearms including pistols and have had a CCW for years but my basic firearms training was with an inexpensive .22 single shot. I also would strongly recommend the Ruger 1022. The breakdown model is really neat. Get a .22 and a brick of ammo and go do some plinking!--Have fun and take a kid with you. Start 'em early!--KV

Is it worth looking into a simple .22 Long Rifle before a handgun? I think I should rent and try to do as much training before I buy though.
I definitely think it's worth considering a 22 LR handgun as your first. The Ruger Mark III and 22/45's are good depending on which grip you prefer. Don't go with a really small 22 pistol first. Learn to shoot first, then you can experiment. A 22 is the prefect caliber to learn with and you will probably shoot it your entire life regardless of how many other firearm calibers you eventually buy and shoot.

Many say that the No. 1 priority is defensive use of a firearm, home protection and so forth which is why they recommend a 9mm over a 22 rimfire. 9mm is a good caliber if the handgun isn't too small (the platform) and is easy to shoot. Funny... we talk about firearm platforms now which is gun talk that pretty much was influenced by computer talk. If you are thinking "revolver", look at 38spl in a normal sized revolver versus the small pocket carry ones.

Hang out at the range a bit and watch other people shoot. You will learn just watching and then you can ease into the shooting part if you're nervous about this. Classes are just fine.... a beginners class would be useful to give you some confidence both shooting and choosing. The tactical classes aren't for you yet.

I for one really like revolvers. But I pretty much have both pistols and revolvers. The advantage of revolvers is simplicity and in most cases, durability. But they tend to be heavier than their semi-auto counterparts.

If you go straight to a center fire caliber (non rimfire), I'd look at the medium sized Glocks and S&W M&P's in 9mm. The Glocks are very reliable.

The last thing you want for a first gun is a finicky first gun. Go with tried and true manufacturers.

Definitely buy good hearing protection. This is important!

OP ya mentioned .22 rifles a couple of times. Not a bad place to start. Look maybe at a Henry lever. Not a bad deal for someone just learning that the action has to be manipulated for each round. Definitely take a safety class and then a marksmanship class. Shoot a lot and a .22lr lets ya do that.

One thing I haven't seem mentioned much is a good .357 Magnum revolver. You can get a solid, reliable one that won't break the bank, wheelguns are incredibly reliable with a bit of maintenance and you can use it with .38+P ammunition which isn't painfully expensive and, particularly combined with the size and weight of most .357s, makes recoil extremely manageable. It's not a great option for CCW, but can be loads of fun at the range while still giving you the option of packing a round with a ton of stopping power.

Shooting is an acquired skill.

Learn SAFE gun handling rules first - there are four. Live them.

You are TRAINED when you can perform a skill as if YOUR life depended on it.

Take your time ad do it right.

Best.

Go to a range. Rent some guns. Shoot them.

Go to the range again. Rent some more guns. Shoot those too.

Pretty soon you'll find one that fits you just so, and feels just right to shoot. Buy that one.

I've got the Ruger MK III Target, and while it's a fine piece, I picked up a Sig Mosquito and shoot it more often. It's got the same controls as full size Sigs, which is my preferred brand. It's also threaded so I can toss the Sparrow suppressor on it. That's fun too.

.22LR used to be significantly cheaper to shoot than centerfire ammo. Nowadays though, I'd probably head straight into a 9mm and buy bulk.

But many guns shoot differently even under the same caliber. My CZ 2075 feels more like a .45 due to the short barrel, yet my 75 feels much more controllable that my Glock. Better yet, my S&W 629 in 44 mag has very little muzzle flip because it weighs about 25lbs:D

True but it'll at least get him closer. Some like 9MM other's think it's for the ladies and the kids, some like hand cannons and others think it's compensating and some of us like hand cannon revolvers. No advice will ever be as good as trigger time

.22 lr is great to learn good shooting skills on. However not ideal for a defensive round as rimfire ammunition is less reliable.

Anyway don't listen to these noobs. The first gun you fire should be a 12 guage with no stock! That way you will get used to the crazy recoil and it will be nothing wheb you fire your 9mm! Like a baseball player practices swings with the weighted donut on his bat! (This last paragraph is sarcasm for those who didn't realize)

.22 lr is great to learn good shooting skills on. However not ideal for a defensive round as rimfire ammunition is less reliable.

Anyway don't listen to these noobs. The first gun you fire should be a 12 guage with no stock! That way you will get used to the crazy recoil and it will be nothing wheb you fire your 9mm! Like a baseball player practices swings with the weighted donut on his bat! (This last paragraph is sarcasm for those who didn't realize)

First guns ever fired I was at summer camp as a kid around 12 y.o., we were skeet shooting with a .12 and a .20! Kick wasn't too bad I loved it

True but it'll at least get him closer. Some like 9MM other's think it's for the ladies and the kids, some like hand cannons and others think it's compensating and some of us like hand cannon revolvers. No advice will ever be as good as trigger time

Good point!

Ever go on gun forums and there's those guys who think the best and only 9mm is a Glock or the best/only .45 is a 1911? Always cracks me up:D

Ever go on gun forums and there's those guys who think the best and only 9mm is a Glock or the best/only .45 is a 1911? Always cracks me up:D[/QUOTE]

But.......what other 9mm is there?
:D:p

Back