First Gun?

You should just go rent a bunch and see what you like.

Popular choices...

Glock 17/19/23
Sig P320
Sig P226
CZ P07
CZ P10c
CZ 75 and variants
Springfield XD line
Smith and Wesson M&P line

All great first guns. Stay away from the cheap shit.

All good advice above...

1) Decide what you are going to use the rifle/pistol for.
2) Research the options out there for your intended use.
3) Go to as many gun shops/ranges as you can and hold/shoot as many different guns as you can get you hands on.
4) Pick the one you like best.

It's hard to give advice on guns because which one is the best is going to be a very personal choice.

Pistol wise for striker fired I like Glock...Double/Single action I tend to go with Sig, but also have a h&k P30L in DA/SA that I enjoy...Double Action Only I like Sig for semi autos or S&W for revolvers....For single action a 1911 from a reputable company will serve you well or if you are a revolver guy I like Ruger or Freedom Arms.

If we are talking long guns, for bolt action rifles I like the Remington 700 action or the kimber. My main hunting rifle in Alaska was a Kimber Montana 84L in .280 Ackley.

For AR, you'll have to dig into that on your own...it's a big world out there, but I usuially build my own. Production wise I own a Noveske, a Daniel Defense, and a Larue Tactical. All are great rifles.

Shotgun wise I prefer the Remington 870, but have used and like the Mossberg 500. 8 times out of 10 I choose a pump action, but Benelli and mossberg make my favorite semi autos.

Leveractions...I'm partial to Marlin, but mine are all pre-Remington so YMMV.

The only semi auto rifle I own besides my ARs is a Ruger 10/22 Takedown. Can't go wrong with a 10/22 in any configuration.

This post is already longer than I intended so I will call it here, but those are generally my preferences if that helps at all.

Get out there and fondle as many as you can...you'll know when you find the right one

Last edited:
I just got my FOID card and am really overwhlemed at the options. I think I want one to practice and use at the range. Where do I even start?
I don't know what a FOID card is but a .22 Long Rifle Semi Auto would be a great place to start imho. Good luck .

Rent a Ruger GP100 in .357 Mag. Shoot .38 Spl wadcutters and practice until you own the slow double action trigger pull. Spend a couple of months mastering this skill. This is the best foundation of handgun skill and will make you a better shooter for anything else you decide to carry later.

Zieg

Edit: And yes, .22 is a great way to start, but I still stand by the revolver for the gun itself.

Put simply, an Illinois state sanctioned exercise in futility and redundancy.
Thanks, as always in terms that make sense . :)
OMG, gotta be shitting me ! :eek:
FOID is an acronym for Firearm Owners Identification. To legally possess or purchase firearms or ammunition, residents of the state of Illinois are required to have a FOID card.

The last thing you want for a first gun is a finicky first gun. Go with tried and true manufacturers.

Definitely buy good hearing protection. This is important!

Pay very good attention to this one. I didn't do this and suffered partial hearing loss as a kid. Wear eye and hearing protection when you shoot.

Also, safety comes first:
1) Treat all guns as loaded - ALL OF THE TIME- No Matter How Many Times You Have Checked It.
2) Never point the gun at anything that you wouldn't want to shoot.
3) Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
4) Always use the proper ammunition that is in good condition. Be especially careful with amateur reloads (a lot of guns blow up with these)
5) Have fun!

n2s

Imagine having to apply, wait for approval and also PAY FOR some sort of state mandated "identification card" to be allowed to exercise any of your other constitutional rights???
"Oh, I'm sorry, sir. Did you want to say something? Please show me your speech permit identification."
"Ummmm...have you folks been issued a permit to gather and worship? And paid the fee???"
"Locks on your doors? Need a permit for that too."

Edited to apologize for straying further off initial topic.
And I'll also say that I agree that revolvers tach fundamentals very very well but I firmly believe a semi auto sidearm is superior in the long run. Faster firing and faster reloads. Revolvers tend to be quite reliable but I've seen revolvers jam. And when they jam there's never a "quick fix". They usually stop hard whereas a semi auto malfunction is usually fixable very quickly. And good semi autos will give very little issues.

Last edited:
Ever go on gun forums and there's those guys who think the best and only 9mm is a Glock or the best/only .45 is a 1911? Always cracks me up:D
I agree with you. But I will say this about Glocks.... they are VERY reliable and if you are interested fairly easy to take apart and re-assemble. I was never a 9mm fan after the 40 S&W came out, but there are a lot more ammunition choices now in 9mm and it's a sound caliber choice in a semi. Ammunition is plentiful and relatively inexpensive (for a center fire). It is enough for home protection or personal carry.

I personally think the right choice for a total beginner is a 22 LR pistol or DA revolver. You can take a basic class at some of the ranges, but you will learn most things on your own by doing it. Always think SAFETY FIRST and don't point your gun at anything you don't intend to shoot. You can learn a lot just hanging out at the range and watching people shoot. Think about safety when you watch others shoot also as some people are pretty lazy in that regard. I learned to shoot as a kid with 22 rifles first. I'm older now and the 22's are still my favorites. I shot my first handgun in college. I bought my first handgun just after I got out of college and was working. It was a double action 22 revolver.

Back in the day I had the attitude that if it shoots, why do I need to buy that much more pricey handgun or rifle..... We all have budgets and so forth, but who manufactures a gun matters. You won't know the difference at first, but you will learn. Of course, some never learn.

Imagine having to apply, wait for approval and also PAY FOR some sort of state mandated "identification card" to be allowed to exercise any of your other constitutional rights???
"Oh, I'm sorry, sir. Did you want to say something? Please show me your speech permit identification."
"Ummmm...have you folks been issued a permit to gather and worship? And paid the fee???"
"Locks on your doors? Need a permit for that too."

Yeah, it's pretty asinine isn't it? I feel lucky growing up in the state that I have in relation to firearm laws. If I grew up in California or New York or New Jersey and got into firearms I surely would have moved the hell out of there.

We could have an entire thread on the subject of our rights being infringed upon. I can understand background checks to make sure we aren't selling firearms to blatant criminals but making law abiding citizens wait days to purchase a pistol and in some cases completely deny ordinary citizens the right to carry a concealed weapon enrages me. It's like some have completely forgotten the aspect of self preservation and relying on yourself. Like any trouble you could ever get into would surely be solved by just calling the police and sitting tight and waiting! Right? Give me a fucking break. The right to protect your life and the life of your family is not something that should be infringed upon in any way assuming you are not a violent criminal that can't function in society.

Anyways, another good starter pistol I just thought of that no one has mentioned is the Beretta 85f! Not the cheapest thing these days but a nice sized metal framed pistol in .380 is perfect for a beginner.

I know some people get annoyed by self promotion but I think this is one of those areas where it will help. I have done a boat load of gun reviews of various kinds on my youtube channel. I cover the following guns and maybe you will find one there that resonates with you a little. Pistols I have covered, M9, PT92, PT111, PT709, Sig250, XDs, XDM, Walther CCP, Smith&Wesson Shield, and various carry methods. I think this is a way to converse with like minded people and present information to people who are trying to learn from others. Check it out if you have a moment and if you have questions hit me up. I enjoy the conversation. https://www.youtube.com/user/nlghthawk38/videos

Get a nice, used S&W or Ruger .357 w/ adjustable sights and a 4" barrel. The double-action capability will help you learn critical fundamentals like sight picture and trigger control, and .38 wadcutters are plentiful and inexpensive. The S&W 686 or Ruger GP-100 are excellent choices. Or, for a little lighter carry, check out the S&W 66 Combat Magnum. Good Luck.

First off safety first. Learn responsible handling of firearms for both in the store as well as on the range.

My first rifle was a 10/22 and 20 years later I'm thinking about picking up a third... I still have and shoot the first one. My first pistol was a S&W 1006 10mm which I fell in love with at the range.

Although it's more expensive, I whole heartedly suggest putting aside some cash every month and renting 2-3 guns each time at the range. This will give you both experience with different pistols and calibers, as well as being great fun.

I personally print out targets on my home printer to bring with me to save money. I also purchased my own eye and ear protection. Also, try shots at distance as well as closer range. I see to many people come in, shoot a 15" group at 10 yards, and celebrate their skill level with their friends.

Great gun to look at and my favorite to shoot out of the box with no modifications.... walther ppq m2 9mm

I just got my FOID card and am really overwhelmed at the options. I think I want one to practice and use at the range. Where do I even start?
So, it has been a month and a half. Did you take the plunge and buy something? For a total beginner, I strongly suggest a 22 pistol or revolver and don't buy some tiny little thing you can fit in your pocket. This is the gun you will learn to shoot with. It's important.

I started shooting 22 rifles as a kid and have always loved them. Nothing wrong with choosing a rifle to start with. I have quite a few 22 rifles these days.

Don't buy some heavy recoiling handgun first. When I started out I felt the 357 mag was extremely powerful and I didn't like the recoil at all. I disliked it to the point, that I pretty much quit shooting it for years. My first center fire handgun was the infamous Colt Python revolver. They are very expensive now and I'm not recommending you run out and buy one. I sold my first Python about 10 years ago and long before the sky high prices you see on them today. What did I do with the money? Well... I bought a Colt 22 revolver (two actually). Both are collector pieces now.

In this amount of time in years past, I probably would have purchased a couple handguns. But I have more than I will ever need and I've slowed down the buying. Knives are generally cheaper. There are still a couple handguns I'd like to get eventually, but I'm in no hurry.

As it's been said and I will recommend again a 22 rifle is an excellent place to start. Personally I started out on a BB Gun decades ago and it was a rifle. A rifle and something with very little recoil is an excellent starting point to learn the basics. Starting with something that has a longer sight radius and something that is easy to use in the supported position the easier it is to learn the basics. Now decades later as an old man with arthritic hands I'm a big fan of 22s. Now it's handguns and some are even Single Action. The joy of shooting and being more deliberate, patient, and accurate. Oh and I forgot to mention cost. Especially when it comes to revolvers and being able to fire some of the more less costly ammo. Amazing the comments you'll hear from those fellows firing larger calibers that show up to the range much later than I but leaving much sooner than I do. Wow, that box didn't take long too shoot. Did I mention I can shoot a number of boxes and often be there at the range more frequently. I get plenty of practice and typically loads more fun at the range for far less. Regardless the purpose I would suggest that owning at least one 22 is well worth it when it comes to being a better marksman, a more accurate shooter, and having more time for practice and fun at the range. By the way there's no better training tool when it comes to handguns than a Single Shot Action Revolver and a Heritage Arms Rough Rider can be had rather affordably.

A great first firearm is a Ruger 10/22. With it you can learn how to handle and care for a firearm. There are many aftermarket add-ons for the 10/22 so you can practice shooting 30 round mags, on a tripod or with a collapsed stock from the hip. After a day at the range (where they won't let you shoot from the hip, lol), you can learn how to properly clean and take down a firearm. The Ruger 10/22 is just a bundle of fun! 22LR is cheap and (lately) easy to find. Use that rifle to sign up for NRA classes that'll train you for bigger things ahead. Grab a cheap scope or red dot and learn how to sight in.

Once you've accustomed yourself to firearm use and safety, you're ready to make an educated choice of a hand gun for self defense.

One thing I haven't seem mentioned much is a good .357 Magnum revolver. You can get a solid, reliable one that won't break the bank, wheelguns are incredibly reliable with a bit of maintenance and you can use it with .38+P ammunition which isn't painfully expensive and, particularly combined with the size and weight of most .357s, makes recoil extremely manageable. It's not a great option for CCW, but can be loads of fun at the range while still giving you the option of packing a round with a ton of stopping power.
When I read this... I thought: Ruger SP101. And yes, you can (with the right pockets and a good pocket holster... See "Robert Mika") CCW this gun. I do, daily.

When I read this... I thought: Ruger SP101. And yes, you can (with the right pockets and a good pocket holster... See "Robert Mika") CCW this gun. I do, daily.

I agree. The Ruger SP101 .357 is my hiking carry when I go the the U.P.. I carry it in my pants cargo pocket in a pocket holster.
I've since put a Hogue mono-grip on it but with the stock grip on, I can front pocket carry in select pants.

To the OP, this would be a great "first gun". Mine is the 2.25" because I wanted it as short as possible but if I were to only holster carry, I'd go with the 3".
View attachment 786631

Back