1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

First Gun?

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, May 3, 2020.

1. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    Who remembers the first gun they bought? Mine was a Savage/ Springfield 20 gauge single shot shotgun, bought at the old Venture store for $39. About a month later I decided I needed a 12 gauge for ducks, so I bought a Winchester Model 37 single shot for $49 at Venture.
    Next gun was a Remington Nylon 66, then a Winchester Model 94, both from, you guessed it, Venture.
    Then I got into handguns. My best friend Dave and I went to Montgomery Wards, he bought a Ruger Single Six and I bought a Ruger Standard .22, for $89. (A few years later I bought the Single Six from him, still have it).
    After that I discovered gun shops, bought a Colt Combat Commander .45, then a S&W Model 28 .357.
    All these were bought in a one year period, things were a lot cheaper back in the 1970’s!

2. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    First gun I bought (with my own money) my dad had to make the purchase. I got a Glenfield 22LR when I was 12. Then I again needed dad to make the purchase but I used my own money and bought a Mossberg 20 gauge pump for pheasant and quail hunting when I was 13.

I think the first gun I bought when I was old enough to make the purchase myself was a Remington 700 in .270 for a mule deer hunt in Wyoming. First handgun was a Ruger Mark II ... soon followed by a Ruger Single Six (my first trip to a gunshow). I still have all but the Glenfield 22LR.

JK Knives likes this.
  3. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    My first bought gun was a ruger 10/22 with a scope. I think I was 12 or 13. I bought it at the local gun store with money I made mowing lawns, throwing hay, and babysitting my little brothers during the summer. I think it was around $200 used with the scope and sling setup.

I had a 12-gauge single shot that I used for most of my hunting as I wasn't a good sitter so I was always sent into the woodpiles and kicking pine trees to get rabbits out. My stepdad always joked that we didn't need a rabbit dog because I had more energy for it anyway. The dog probably listened better most of the time.

The 22 was a nice upgrade for squirrel hunting so we could shoot them out of the tops of the trees. I eventually sold that to my youngest brother but I still have the single-shot 12-gauge my step-dad gave me the Christmas after passing hunter safety.

joeldworkin307 and JK Knives like this.
  4. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    Marlin .22

I was 11, and picked it out of the group of guns I was shown and allowed to buy. I don’t remember why I chose it but I remember my grandfather being surprised that I hadn’t chosen one of the more expensive options put out there for me.

JK Knives likes this.
  5. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    10/22 - gave dad the $$$, because it was a week before my 16th birthday.

First one I bought myself was an Argentine Mauser carbine in 7x57 that I found at a garage sale.

JJ_Colt45 and JK Knives like this.
  6. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    My first was the Single Six. Got the 94/22 much later.

[​IMG]

Jeff

JJ_Colt45 and JK Knives like this.
  7. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    My first hand gun was a Ruger Single Six (flat gate) in 1955. I don't really remember what I paid ,but is was about $50 or so new in box.

The next two were a Winchester mod. 37 20 Ga. single shot purchased with S&H Green stamps, and a Remington Nylon 66 Semi Auto .22

which I happen to recall coast me $66. These were in about 1957/58. The shot gun came trough S&H Catalog and the other two were from

department stores with sporting goods departments.

JK Knives and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  8. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Sounds like most of you were interested in guns at an earlier age, I was 22 when I got interested. Before that all I cared about was building fast cars. My 69 SS 396 Chevelle was one of the quickest street racers in my county in the early 70’s

Wurrwulf and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  9. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Sounds like we had similar taste in guns.

10. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    My first gun was a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 bought new in 1967.

JK Knives likes this.
  11. Dknight16

Dknight16 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Mossberg Plinkster .22LR semi-auto rifle from Montgomery Ward.

fishiker and JK Knives like this.
  12. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    First guns I bought with my money were a Ruger MKII and a Norinco SKS the same day for $100 each I was 19.

First guns gifted to me that I picked out as a kid were a Remington Viper .22lr when I was 10 and a Remington 870 12ga when I was 13.

JK Knives likes this.
  13. greatscoot

greatscoot Some other kind of crazy. Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2012
    It was either a Savage 99 in .308 or a Ruger MK II.

14. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Marlin 989-m2, at around age 10.

n2s

15. TLA

TLA Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2002
    My first was a Colt New Frontier Buntline 22LR. I was looking at it, a Ruger Single Six and A Browning Buck Mark. I was having trouble deciding between the Ruger and the Colt so I asked my father which one I should buy. He looked at me and said "son when you buy that Ruger I'm going to buy the Colt". I knew right there the Colt was what I wanted. I still have it and it cost me $150.00.

16. B JACKSON

B JACKSON

Sep 19, 2012
    My father bought me several guns before I was 18 but the first one I bought with my own money at age 18 was a Ithaca SKB
    500 o/u 20 ga with 3" chambers choked imp/mod. That gun was poison to decoying ducks back when we could use lead shot, and many pheasants and rabbits bit the dust to that shotgun. I remember driving home with my new gun in the trunk of my 1967 Ford Galaxy and realizing that was maybe a bit different than my friends because I had a $400 gun in the trunk of my $250 car.

17. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    The first gun I bought with my own money was a Stevens single barrel 12ga for the unbelievable sum of $35. I know that isn't a lot of money but it was a lot of miles on a paper route along with raking leaves, painting, and shoveling snow. My first handgun was a Ruger Mark 1 with bull barrel. Can't remember what I paid for it but remember selling it for $150.

frontiertom and JK Knives like this.
  18. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Jul 16, 2007
    The first two guns I ever had were a little single shot bolt .22 rifle (can't recall the make but it was similar to a Cricket) and a Stevens single barrel 20 ga. IIRC I got the .22 first but both were about the same time and it was about the age most kids got a Tonka truck or their first bike. But the first gun I bought with my own money was a Browning Hi-Power, on my birthday the day I turned 21. It was my grain gun back then and I still have it today.

JK Knives likes this.
  19. ErocSD

ErocSD Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2019
    My first gun I purchased was a 1911 and then I ordered a lower online and built out my first AR year a month later.

JK Knives likes this.
  20. outdoorsfan

outdoorsfan

Sep 30, 2009
    First firearm purchase was a Marlin .22 rifle and scope combo. I think I bought it at Service Merchandise. I was 18. The second was an S&W 686 .357 purchased at a gun show. Sold the Marlin after I got a 10/22. Still have and love the 686.

JK Knives likes this.