First Gun?

JK Knives

Who remembers the first gun they bought? Mine was a Savage/ Springfield 20 gauge single shot shotgun, bought at the old Venture store for $39. About a month later I decided I needed a 12 gauge for ducks, so I bought a Winchester Model 37 single shot for $49 at Venture.
Next gun was a Remington Nylon 66, then a Winchester Model 94, both from, you guessed it, Venture.
Then I got into handguns. My best friend Dave and I went to Montgomery Wards, he bought a Ruger Single Six and I bought a Ruger Standard .22, for $89. (A few years later I bought the Single Six from him, still have it).
After that I discovered gun shops, bought a Colt Combat Commander .45, then a S&W Model 28 .357.
All these were bought in a one year period, things were a lot cheaper back in the 1970’s!

First gun I bought (with my own money) my dad had to make the purchase. I got a Glenfield 22LR when I was 12. Then I again needed dad to make the purchase but I used my own money and bought a Mossberg 20 gauge pump for pheasant and quail hunting when I was 13.

I think the first gun I bought when I was old enough to make the purchase myself was a Remington 700 in .270 for a mule deer hunt in Wyoming. First handgun was a Ruger Mark II ... soon followed by a Ruger Single Six (my first trip to a gunshow). I still have all but the Glenfield 22LR.

My first bought gun was a ruger 10/22 with a scope. I think I was 12 or 13. I bought it at the local gun store with money I made mowing lawns, throwing hay, and babysitting my little brothers during the summer. I think it was around $200 used with the scope and sling setup.

I had a 12-gauge single shot that I used for most of my hunting as I wasn't a good sitter so I was always sent into the woodpiles and kicking pine trees to get rabbits out. My stepdad always joked that we didn't need a rabbit dog because I had more energy for it anyway. The dog probably listened better most of the time.

The 22 was a nice upgrade for squirrel hunting so we could shoot them out of the tops of the trees. I eventually sold that to my youngest brother but I still have the single-shot 12-gauge my step-dad gave me the Christmas after passing hunter safety.

Marlin .22

I was 11, and picked it out of the group of guns I was shown and allowed to buy. I don’t remember why I chose it but I remember my grandfather being surprised that I hadn’t chosen one of the more expensive options put out there for me.

10/22 - gave dad the $$$, because it was a week before my 16th birthday.

First one I bought myself was an Argentine Mauser carbine in 7x57 that I found at a garage sale.

My first was the Single Six. Got the 94/22 much later.

UW3lQ7J.jpg

Jeff

My first hand gun was a Ruger Single Six (flat gate) in 1955. I don't really remember what I paid ,but is was about $50 or so new in box.

The next two were a Winchester mod. 37 20 Ga. single shot purchased with S&H Green stamps, and a Remington Nylon 66 Semi Auto .22

which I happen to recall coast me $66. These were in about 1957/58. The shot gun came trough S&H Catalog and the other two were from

department stores with sporting goods departments.

Sounds like most of you were interested in guns at an earlier age, I was 22 when I got interested. Before that all I cared about was building fast cars. My 69 SS 396 Chevelle was one of the quickest street racers in my county in the early 70’s

My first hand gun was a Ruger Single Six (flat gate) in 1955. I don't really remember what I paid ,but is was about $50 or so new in box.

The next two were a Winchester mod. 37 20 Ga. single shot purchased with S&H Green stamps, and a Remington Nylon 66 Semi Auto .22

which I happen to recall coast me $66. These were in about 1957/58. The shot gun came trough S&H Catalog and the other two were from

department stores with sporting odds departments.
Sounds like we had similar taste in guns.

First guns I bought with my money were a Ruger MKII and a Norinco SKS the same day for $100 each I was 19.

First guns gifted to me that I picked out as a kid were a Remington Viper .22lr when I was 10 and a Remington 870 12ga when I was 13.

My first was a Colt New Frontier Buntline 22LR. I was looking at it, a Ruger Single Six and A Browning Buck Mark. I was having trouble deciding between the Ruger and the Colt so I asked my father which one I should buy. He looked at me and said "son when you buy that Ruger I'm going to buy the Colt". I knew right there the Colt was what I wanted. I still have it and it cost me $150.00.

My father bought me several guns before I was 18 but the first one I bought with my own money at age 18 was a Ithaca SKB
500 o/u 20 ga with 3" chambers choked imp/mod. That gun was poison to decoying ducks back when we could use lead shot, and many pheasants and rabbits bit the dust to that shotgun. I remember driving home with my new gun in the trunk of my 1967 Ford Galaxy and realizing that was maybe a bit different than my friends because I had a $400 gun in the trunk of my $250 car.

The first gun I bought with my own money was a Stevens single barrel 12ga for the unbelievable sum of $35. I know that isn't a lot of money but it was a lot of miles on a paper route along with raking leaves, painting, and shoveling snow. My first handgun was a Ruger Mark 1 with bull barrel. Can't remember what I paid for it but remember selling it for $150.

The first two guns I ever had were a little single shot bolt .22 rifle (can't recall the make but it was similar to a Cricket) and a Stevens single barrel 20 ga. IIRC I got the .22 first but both were about the same time and it was about the age most kids got a Tonka truck or their first bike. But the first gun I bought with my own money was a Browning Hi-Power, on my birthday the day I turned 21. It was my grain gun back then and I still have it today.

My first gun I purchased was a 1911 and then I ordered a lower online and built out my first AR year a month later.

First firearm purchase was a Marlin .22 rifle and scope combo. I think I bought it at Service Merchandise. I was 18. The second was an S&W 686 .357 purchased at a gun show. Sold the Marlin after I got a 10/22. Still have and love the 686.

Back