First Gun?

I've been going back and forth to try and remember which I got first and I cannot for the life of me. My first gun was either a Smith and Wesson 6904 or and Enfield #4 Mk1 when I was 22. That Enfield was among my favorite guns I've ever owned.

Oh yea - it was a Ruger GP100 4.2" stainless with the rubber grips with the goncalo alves hardwood insert.
1771.jpg

Wish I had never sold that gun.
best
mqqn

I got bitten early and bitten hard. First gun was a Glenfield single shot 22 my Dad bought with me at Sears when I was 11. I remember standing amongst the washers and dryers while he paid for it (with my money). By the time I was 16 I had had about 50 different guns but since I had no money, never more than one or two at a time. I was constantly trading them for another, new to me gun. Probably had them about as long as it took to shoot up whatever ammunition I could scrounge before I was trying something different. This was in the late 70's and certainly different times.

Shopping at Venture, that’s a blast from the past, lol. My first gun was the venerable Ruger 10/22, excellent plinker and had lots of fun plinking with that thing.
First Handgun was the S&W 629 power port because I wanted to be Dirty Harry, but with a stainless porter gun. Bought that at K’s Merchandise, another defunct store from the past. I love me some stainless revolvers, the function is poetry in motion.

This one brought back a blast of old memories. I "bought" a Savage Anschutz Mark 10A rifle when I was about 9 years old. I was doing hunter safety training at the YMCA and wanted to do the shooting competitions. Dad took it to a gunsmith and had a foot knocked off the barrel because it was too heavy for me. I happily shot that rifle for years. The first firearm I purchased straight up was a Mini 14, because I was basically still a kid and it was the only rifle with a detachable magazine available to me. It's always strange to go back and think over the criteria that seemed so important at the time.

Shopping at Venture, that’s a blast from the past, lol. My first gun was the venerable Ruger 10/22, excellent plinker and had lots of fun plinking with that thing.
First Handgun was the S&W 629 power port because I wanted to be Dirty Harry, but with a stainless porter gun. Bought that at K’s Merchandise, another defunct store from the past. I love me some stainless revolvers, the function is poetry in motion.
I bought a lot of stuff from K’s Merchandise!

Technically, the first "gun" I ever bought with my own money was a Daisy Powerline 880 BB/Pellet gun.

First "firearm" that was ever given to me (12 yrs old) was a Marlin "Glenfield" mod 60, .22LR. In today's media terms, I guess it would be considered "FULLY semi-automatic". :eek: And that beauty stayed propped up behind my bedroom door from the mature age of 12, until I purchased my first safe in my 20's. But we were MUCH more mature back then. :D

The first "firearm(s)" actually purchased in person, with my own money was a handgun double header. A Browning Buckmark 22 for volume practice, and a Beretta 92FS for fun shootin'. The Buckmark was a recommendation of the gun counter guy as THE 22 target gun in his opinion. The Beretta was a recommendation of a guy named Mel Gibson. Wait, or was it Martin Riggs? My memory is going.

And first rifle purchased directly by me, was a Sako Finnbear L61R in .30-06. Bought at a Boy Scout counsil annual fundraising auction. At subsequent scout auctions, I also purchased a Ruger 10/22, Glock G22 (40 Cal.), and a couple other guns I don't specifically remember. I really enjoyed those auctions back when I had an income. Would come home with my car full of crap, from treadmill and stationary bike, to toys for the kids. But it was the guns that I always looked forward to checking out.

Last edited:
Unless I missed something...not one first gun on this list had a synthetic stock or a polymer frame! (except the Daisy)
A breath of fresh air indeed!
(yes, i did own a plastic stock gun once. a Remington nylon 66 circa 1972 or so, used it as a trapping gun. Gave it to my brother eventually.)

Unless I missed something...not one first gun on this list had a synthetic stock or a polymer frame! (except the Daisy)
(yes, i did own a plastic stock gun once. a Remington nylon 66 circa 1972 or so, used it as a trapping gun. Gave it to my brother eventually.)
I had a Nylon 66 Black Diamond version

Yes, none were loaded from the muzzle using a ramrod either.

The times, they change. ;)

Back