1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

First Gun?

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, May 3, 2020.

1. joeldworkin307

joeldworkin307 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2012
    I've been going back and forth to try and remember which I got first and I cannot for the life of me. My first gun was either a Smith and Wesson 6904 or and Enfield #4 Mk1 when I was 22. That Enfield was among my favorite guns I've ever owned.

JK Knives likes this.
  2. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Oh yea - it was a Ruger GP100 4.2" stainless with the rubber grips with the goncalo alves hardwood insert.
    [​IMG]
    Wish I had never sold that gun.
    best
    mqqn

JK Knives likes this.
  3. heat_treat

heat_treat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2015
    I got bitten early and bitten hard. First gun was a Glenfield single shot 22 my Dad bought with me at Sears when I was 11. I remember standing amongst the washers and dryers while he paid for it (with my money). By the time I was 16 I had had about 50 different guns but since I had no money, never more than one or two at a time. I was constantly trading them for another, new to me gun. Probably had them about as long as it took to shoot up whatever ammunition I could scrounge before I was trying something different. This was in the late 70's and certainly different times.

JK Knives likes this.
  4. Madstabber

Madstabber

Feb 4, 2015
    Shopping at Venture, that’s a blast from the past, lol. My first gun was the venerable Ruger 10/22, excellent plinker and had lots of fun plinking with that thing.
    First Handgun was the S&W 629 power port because I wanted to be Dirty Harry, but with a stainless porter gun. Bought that at K’s Merchandise, another defunct store from the past. I love me some stainless revolvers, the function is poetry in motion.

JK Knives likes this.
  5. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 25, 2014
    This one brought back a blast of old memories. I "bought" a Savage Anschutz Mark 10A rifle when I was about 9 years old. I was doing hunter safety training at the YMCA and wanted to do the shooting competitions. Dad took it to a gunsmith and had a foot knocked off the barrel because it was too heavy for me. I happily shot that rifle for years. The first firearm I purchased straight up was a Mini 14, because I was basically still a kid and it was the only rifle with a detachable magazine available to me. It's always strange to go back and think over the criteria that seemed so important at the time.

JK Knives likes this.
  6. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    I bought a lot of stuff from K’s Merchandise!

Madstabber likes this.
  7. effenoam

effenoam

Mar 19, 2013
    Remington 870

JK Knives likes this.
  8. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Technically, the first "gun" I ever bought with my own money was a Daisy Powerline 880 BB/Pellet gun.

First "firearm" that was ever given to me (12 yrs old) was a Marlin "Glenfield" mod 60, .22LR. In today's media terms, I guess it would be considered "FULLY semi-automatic". :eek: And that beauty stayed propped up behind my bedroom door from the mature age of 12, until I purchased my first safe in my 20's. But we were MUCH more mature back then. :D

The first "firearm(s)" actually purchased in person, with my own money was a handgun double header. A Browning Buckmark 22 for volume practice, and a Beretta 92FS for fun shootin'. The Buckmark was a recommendation of the gun counter guy as THE 22 target gun in his opinion. The Beretta was a recommendation of a guy named Mel Gibson. Wait, or was it Martin Riggs? My memory is going.

And first rifle purchased directly by me, was a Sako Finnbear L61R in .30-06. Bought at a Boy Scout counsil annual fundraising auction. At subsequent scout auctions, I also purchased a Ruger 10/22, Glock G22 (40 Cal.), and a couple other guns I don't specifically remember. I really enjoyed those auctions back when I had an income. Would come home with my car full of crap, from treadmill and stationary bike, to toys for the kids. But it was the guns that I always looked forward to checking out.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    JK Knives likes this.
  9. B JACKSON

B JACKSON

Sep 19, 2012
    Unless I missed something...not one first gun on this list had a synthetic stock or a polymer frame! (except the Daisy)
    A breath of fresh air indeed!
    (yes, i did own a plastic stock gun once. a Remington nylon 66 circa 1972 or so, used it as a trapping gun. Gave it to my brother eventually.)

10. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    I had a Nylon 66 Black Diamond version

11. B JACKSON

B JACKSON

Sep 19, 2012
    had the ugly brown one

JK Knives likes this.
  12. heat_treat

heat_treat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Yes, none were loaded from the muzzle using a ramrod either.

The times, they change. ;)

B JACKSON and JK Knives like this.