First knife finished in 2007- terrible pictures

Phillip Patton

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is the first blade I forged and heat treated using Mr. Hansons W2, a couple months ago. Finally got it finished. :rolleyes:

Cocobolo handle, nickel silver guard and water buffalo horn spacers.

There's a hamon, but this wasn't very good lighting. I'll try again tomorrow.

1149-3.jpg

1149-2.jpg

1149-1.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Phillip

Well I'll be the first to congratulate you in 2007...very nice knife!!!

Phillip, You just don't seem to make any junk! Even without your signature I'd recognize the grind line.

If I just saw the picture I would know it was one of your knives. Another great knife by you is all I can say :thumbup:

What kind of wood is on that one?

Ok, here's the real question,(Dr. D has probably emailed you already), is that one made for a customer or going up for sale?

Doesn't Don's W2 ROCK!!!!??? I have have my first completed knife made from that stuff posted soon. I am an absolute hack and yet this knife appears to cut like a mother despitemy best efforts to screw it up. lol I've got a GIGANTIC fighting bowie ready to heat treat too.:thumbup: I just forged a very burly 4 inch hunter from 7/8ths round bar using my new guillotine fuller.......ouch....tennis elbow....:p But the device does make tang forging a LOT easier.

Phillip, You just don't seem to make any junk! Even without your signature I'd recognize the grind line.

Well, not too much anymore. You should see some of my early stuff. Maybe I'll post a photo of one or two. :)

Spearz said:
If I just saw the picture I would know it was one of your knives. Another great knife by you is all I can say :thumbup:

What kind of wood is on that one?

Ok, here's the real question,(Dr. D has probably emailed you already), is that one made for a customer or going up for sale?

Thanks Martin. :) The wood is cocobolo.
This was not made for anyone in particular. I'll put it in the for sale section as soon as I get some better photos taken...

drducati said:
I thought seriously about it but I'm holding out for his second Damascus.

Speaking of which, I just put the handles on two of them yesterday. :thumbup:

Doesn't Don's W2 ROCK!!!!??? I have have my first completed knife made from that stuff posted soon. I am an absolute hack and yet this knife appears to cut like a mother despitemy best efforts to screw it up. lol I've got a GIGANTIC fighting bowie ready to heat treat too.:thumbup: I just forged a very burly 4 inch hunter from 7/8ths round bar using my new guillotine fuller.......ouch....tennis elbow....:p But the device does make tang forging a LOT easier.

I like it so far. I spent a lot of time looking for 1095 in large stock, like 1-1/4 round, and couldn't find it. So I was ecstatic when Don started selling W2, which is better than 1095 anyway.
My power hammer makes tang forging a easier. :D

Here's my first and second forged blades, both made August of 2004.
Aren't they lovely? :barf: :D

IMG_0291.jpg

I like it so far. I spent a lot of time looking for 1095 in large stock, like 1-1/4 round, and couldn't find it. So I was ecstatic when Don started selling W2, which is better than 1095 anyway.
My power hammer makes tang forging a easier. :D
I have an Imagination Xpress hydraulic press still in the crates with no place to set it up or plug it in. My life will get much easier when I get it up and running:D

Here's my first and second forged blades, both made August of 2004.
Aren't they lovely? :barf: :D

IMG_0291.jpg

better than most, my man....certainly better than mine...lol. And you have come along AMAZINGLY quickly in 2+ years. i am thoroughly discouraged now:grumpy: :D

I have an Imagination Xpress hydraulic press still in the crates with no place to set it up or plug it in. My life will get much easier when I get it up and running:D

You don't have any room? Send it to me, I'm sure I can find a place for it. :D:D:D

jdm61 said:
better than most, my man....certainly better than mine...lol. And you have come along AMAZINGLY quickly in 2+ years. i am thoroughly discouraged now:grumpy: :D

You should be encouraged. Trust me, if I can do it, anybody can! It just takes time and determination. You're doing alright. :thumbup:

Everybody's got to start someplace!
A surgeon doesn't know how to do a cataract until he's done about 100 of them. At least he hasn't seen most of the complications until then.
Some are quicker learners than others.;)

Speaking of which, the more I look at that knife the more I like it. Not that I didn't from the first but it is growing on me. The lines remind me of a knife I saw 50 years ago and fell in love with.

I purchased from Phillip end of last year, outstanding knives and sheaths, cut like you wouldn't believe.

Dr. D will back me up I am sure, when I see that knife you get the urge to buy it :confused:

What do you think of the W2 steel? In making or cutting tests after?

Beautiful Knife!!! I have been watching the blades you've been putting up here and the ones on your web site and when I have some extra $$ I'm going to pull the trigger on something of yours. I love the grinds and handles look like they'd fit a person's hand like a glove. Keep up the great work! :thumbup:

Back