1. Washington action alert - Spring blade knife ban repeal thread. Hearing is Tues, Vote is Friday, let your voice be heard!

First knife for a 7 year old girl

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by mec003, Mar 1, 2016.

1. mec003

mec003

Jan 1, 2015
    Hey all. I think a similar thread was posted awhile ago, but I didn't find it while searching. If anyone knows it, feel free to link it.

My daughter (age 7) has mentioned an interest in using a pocket knife to whittle with, and has been increasingly wanting to use kitchen knives to cut up fruit and veggies. She recently got in trouble for carving on a piece of furniture with a pair of scissors, so I'm hoping to redirect that creative energy elsewhere.

I'm wondering what you all would recommend for a young girl? I'm trying to keep the knife at (or preferably below) $20. If it comes in pink or purple or some other "fun" color, that would be a bonus.

Currently considering a kabar Dozier folder, buck bantam, and maybe a smaller opinel that we can sand and stain/dye a color of her choosing. Open to suggestions. Thanks all!

2. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    My seven year old has an Opinel #6 but you could just as easily get a #7 kids knife:

[​IMG]

Meets your budget, easy to dull/resharpen as needed to suit your safety requirements, cuts soft materials pretty well even when dull. Another plus is the lack of a spring-lock - the blade cannot snap closed when slippery fingers lose hold of the blade opening or closing. Very reliable lock. :thumbup:

My other recommendation would be a Buck Bantam or BuckLite, but those do have spring-locks than can snap-closed. I tried giving her an SAK first, but the slip-joint spring was too dangerous for her yet. Soon.

3. crom

crom Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2007
    I bought a Vic classic for my 8 year old daughter. She's going on 11 and now has a pink Kabar Dozier.

4. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    My daughter would love one of those.

5. nick21

nick21

Feb 22, 2014
    I can't think of a better first knife than a Victorinox :thumbup:

6. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    I think a fixed blade might be better.There are kids knives like Helle 'Scout" knife with a large guard .knife for a purpose is the best idea ,do something like foodprep rather than just playing with the knife.
    I was wood carving at seven but you must deal with that kid not average one. Always supervise !

7. nick21

nick21

Feb 22, 2014
    I'd recommend one with a leather sheath, if possible.

Kydex and molded plastic sheaths have that sort of "snap" when pulling out the knife. A few years ago when I first got my Izula 2, I put my index finger at the wrong place and pulled the knife out a bit over-zealously. Stupid mistake, and I still have the scar as a reminder.

8. TBL

TBL

Dec 26, 2013
    ^^ This.

Here's my 3 year old with a BK11 :)

[​IMG]

My little ones will always be under my supervision. As a parent its all about how your gauge your child's skills and abilitles. I keep getting blown away on how well children take instruction and lessons on different skills :D

9. mec003

mec003

Jan 1, 2015
    I'm planning on letting her use my izula to help in the kitchen. I don't care for SAKs for kids unless the blade locks. She will be supervised the whole time she uses a knife. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

10. RX-79G

RX-79G

Jun 23, 2006
    I really like knives with locks for kids as a hedge against poor judgement.

The old Wenger lock blade is now offered as the Vic Evo. They are slightly smaller than the normal Victorinox at 84mm vs 91. I bought a really nice used Wenger off ebay for cheap. The lock is easy to use.

[​IMG]

The Opinel would be great, too, for the same reasons. It locks closed, too.

Otherwise, many brands make a basic, small lockback of the Gerber LST/Bucklite style, and in a variety of colors. Here's a Case:
    [​IMG]

$9, rubber handles:
    [​IMG]

Maybe it isn't an issue for girls, but I wouldn't be inclined to give a child a fast opening, thumbstud, liner lock type knife. It could lead to showing off and objections by other parents if it turns up in the wrong place.

11. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    Knives Ship Free had a program at one time for knives for kids.

12. weinerd

weinerd

Feb 12, 2011
    I got a Swiss army for my kid, but found the spring very stiff. Now happy with my old frn delica lockback. Easy to open, locks and unlocks nicely, and closes easily.

13. AusLoX

AusLoX

Jan 23, 2015
    Spyderco makes wooden knife kits to practice proper use and teaches functionality. Gave one to my nephew and he loved it. Going to get him a dragonfly when he's skilled enough with the wooden version.
    Vic classic is always a great option.

14. Basp2005

Basp2005

Dec 6, 2015
    My son is 8, he wanted something cool so he has a Kershaw thermite. Added a choil so it looks more like dads knife. :) (xm-18)

[​IMG]

15. mec003

mec003

Jan 1, 2015
    The case could work. I hadn't considered that. Once she gets better acclimated I might invest in a delica, but don't want to spend that much yet.

16. EChoil

EChoil Banned BANNED

May 22, 2014
    One of the kiddie Opinels would be hard to beat. A small SAK is always good too.

I wouldn't worry about a locking blade. A traditional would be just fine. I think it's a good initial teacher of safety--why ingrain in her that a blade is always locked and safe? She'll use it under your supervision anyway, right? I think I picked up an early caution of blade slip and sense of blade awareness by growing up and learning with traditionals. It also taught me safety in opening and closing a folder.

For a kid a traditional as a first knife is like learning to sharpen on a stone vs. on an EdgeMaster. Better fundamentals.

EDIT: Yeah, a Case should be fine. And you're right to assume it will only be temporary. Most likely the one you get her now will be lost or broken at some point anyway...so don't blow a lot.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  17. Ulf Krogstad

Ulf Krogstad Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2013
    One of them SAK key chain blades. En9ugh blade/tools to do what have you. I don't trust kids these days. Honestly.

18. Nap

Nap

Sep 9, 2015
    It's too bad your budget is $20, or I'd suggest the Leatherman Leap.

I remember borrowing my mom's Buck lockback (smaller than a 110, but I don't know precisely which one) to bring to a Cub Scout camp at around that age and barely having the strength to work the lock, so that's something to keep in mind. (The same goes for backspring strength on a slipjoint.) The Opinel is definitely a great choice.

I'm not sure why you'd reject the SAK, though, unless it's for the reason I just mentioned¬ówith which I never had a problem with the SAKs I had at that age. The other tools on the knife, however, did a ton to inspire/promote/facilitate my creativity and resourcefulness, which I think is a great thing for a kid of any gender.

19. blade dude

blade dude

Nov 8, 2015
    Anyone against saks for kids, let me ask you, did your first knife lock or was it dads ole slip joint or sak? If you're worried about slip joint get her a fixed blade. Otherwise a schrade stockman is my suggestion

20. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Blade Tech Mouse Lite.

Tim Wegner design, right around 20 bux, Amazon has a bunch of cute colors.