First knife for a 7 year old girl

The Mora 511 Basic or Pro S works well for my five and seven year olds. Big finger guards...

My eldest on her first lesson:
2016-03-11%2017.59.11-small_zps3hn5pclw.jpg

She is hooked! I'll have to get her her own knife soon. Thinking about an Opinel. I like the security of a lock, the handle ergos, and no spring to cause unexpected blade movement. I'll "downgrade" her to a SAK eventually. :)

i know these have been mentioned, but they are worth seeing...

morakniv classic scout 39 safe, comes in 5 colors...
1067_2f5bebb1850a9921b24ced3ccb043fb7.jpg

or the victorinox my first victorinox
8796889776158_celum_46683_560Wx490H.jpg

I frankly think it is weird to argue AGAINST a safety feature on a knife intended for a child who wants to carve wood. I still avoid wood carving with the tip of any knife that doesn't have more than a spring keeping the blade in place. What is the possible downside to having a safety feature that only increases the carving performance AND safety, when you can get that feature on just about any possible type of knife????

When the child has a hard time working the lock, for example my first knife was a schrade 30t lock back that I got at seven, I couldn't work the lock to save my life( still have trouble twenty years later for that matter)and wound up cutting my fingers on more than one occasion when I improvised a method to close it. It turned me off to knives for ten or so years.
Getting back to the thread , I'd go with either a sak or a slipjoint of some sort

Back