First Knife You Remember as a KID

Grandfather's folding produce knife circa 1962. Long, slim, pearlite handle, shiny and scary sharp!

The first one i really paid attention to was one of the old camillus type aviator/air force survival knives, my uncle brought it back from Nam, I still have it, its one of my favorite fixed blades, though its looking a little tired :mad: that thing has seen more action than i ever will.

A woman in my father's car pool brought me and my brother X-mas presents. My brother five years younger seemed to always com out ahead of me like when he got a minibike one year. Any how his present was about 10 times the size of mine. I went into another room to open my little present and almost died. My first Scout knife. Wow! Had it hooked to my kaki jungle Jim shorts with the metal clip. We were inseparable for years. Could even take it to school back then.

My first one was a beautiful little Western fixed blade with a stag handle and a fancy leather sheath. An uncle won it in a raffle and gave it to me. It sat in a drawer for years because I didn't think it would be too cool to wear it. I wanted a pocket knife!

I saved my money and bought a big Case (I think) scout knife at the local Army-Navy store. It was so big, thick and heavy, I never carried it! :)

Years later, in high school, I found the scout knife and started carrying it. I lost it while snowmobiling but found it a week or so later. It had been run over and the lanyard loop was flattened and half torn off. It got delegated to tool box duty after that and it ended up lost. :-(

The Western fixed blade also found use in later years when I started hunting. After returning home from a whitetail hunt in the woods behind my house one evening, I was saddened to look down and see the sheath empty... it had come unsnapped and the knife fell out!

I went back twice and spent a lot of time looking for it and never found it.

I really wish I still had both of these knives.

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Ok...This is my first post, and at 17 years old I cant really talk too much about a knife I remember as a kid, but...

I own one of those blue boy scout knives. It has quite a few memories behind it. I just recently found out that they are worth approximately $100 now that some older guys remember that knive from their childhood, remember its sentimental value, and want to purchase one to bring back some memories. I will never get rid of it though. I got it as a hand-me-down and I will never let go of it.

I got a minature bowie out of a gumball machine with a little plastic handle. It wasn't the least bit sharp. I was about 7 or 8. Then, not long after I got a saw cut delrin handled barlow that I had with me constantly untill on the way to boot camp, the bus driver carrying us dumb kids told us if we turned in all "contraband" to him we wouldn't go to jail. I know he got a bag full of stuff. :')

Aroung the time I was 12 I found a huge, massive camping knife with full size fork and spoon, saw, everything. I think I traded it away for almost nothing worthwhile. Not the last mistake I made in my life to be sure. Joe L.

Barlow - 2 blades - black 'ribbed' scales. Hehehe, my step-dad gave it to me with a cheap leather snap sheath.

A buckknives mini-buck was my first knife. I got it for boyscouts and used the heck out of it. Still got it and she's still sharp.

A Swiss Army Knife I got when I was in elementary school (around 4th or 5th grade). Unfortunately it was stolen in high school.

I remember my first two knives were a Butterfly knife from Asian World of Martial Arts (I still have it), the 80's Ninja craze was too much and a huge Wenger SAK (Still do also), after watching the show McGyver I had to have one, both of them in the 7th grade. There you have it! The TV made me do it!

THe first knife that I remember was one that I found in my grandfathers houseafter his funeral. My mom saw it stuck it in a box with his other knives and threw them away, to this day I still reminder her what I think of this act! My first knife was a Cub Scout knife that lasted about a year until I got the coveted Boy Scout knife which lasted until I took about half of my thumb nail off trying to cut an old stick. Steven

my first knife was now (18). a crkt m16 edc...love it. bought it with saved up lunch money...phew...i feel thinner.

In 69 my Dad came back from S.E.A. and gave me an orange auto, I’ve been fascinated with autos ever since.

I grew up in san francisco(much different than today) and in the late fifties I walked to viking sporting goods on market street where I purchased my first knife. It was a fixed blade with stag handle made in soligen, germany. My father worked for the corps of engineers and I would were the knife when I went of survey trips with him to nevada.
I wish I had this knife today.

I had a couple very worn hand me down pocket knives (Imperials) that my dad gave me. His job was rather hard on knives. But the one that sticks in my mind is the first one I bought myself. A simulated pearl handled toothpick style fishermans knife with one blade, a fish scaler/bottle opener, & a sissors. Ordered it from an outfit called Sports Liquidators for the princely sum of $3.95. A good sum for an 11 year old back in the early 70s.

The first cutting implement i can remember was a red plastic tomahawk when i was about 3 or four. I spent hours sharpening it on the brick outsidwe our house. Never did get too sharp though. The first "real" knife was 2 or 3 years later. Some friends of my parents got it for me. It was a scout pattern in toledo steel ( we lived in Spain then) with some kind of black metal handle scales inlaid with brass birds vines etc. Lost it some years later in one of my divorces. I would love to have the knife back but it was still the best trade I ever made.

My Dad whittled my first one out of a broomstick :D
The first 'metal' knife came from the Flushing World's Fair.
That knife and I had many adventures. And I spent many hours trying to sharpen that aluminum (?) blade.
kidstuff.gif

It's been a while since I've trotted that pic out.
Thanx for the opportunity :D

Hi folks,

This thread really brought back some memories for me. I had quite a few Victornox swiss army knives as a kid (including one which sliced my knuckle while I was carving a tree, leaving a little scar which I'm now quite fond of). My very first knife, however, was a British Army Marlin Spike Knife. I don't know how I got the thing, cause I didn't buy it myself and I cant remember anyone giving it to me. The thing I remember about it was that it intimidated me somewhat - especially the marlin spike, which had a strong spring on it and seemed pretty vicious to an 8 or 9 year old. Funny thing was that the knife disappeared from my possession when I was about 11 or 12 as mysteriously as it had come into it.

Back