1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 44 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)
  3. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

First multitool

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by TheUSMC2017, Mar 2, 2011.

1. TheUSMC2017

TheUSMC2017

Nov 24, 2010
    So I'm thinking about buying a multi-tool for EDC. I don't have any real quality ones, so I want to buy one I can get some use out of. I also don't want to spend too much. I was thinking about maybe a Victorinox Cadet, Victorinox one-handed Trekker, or a Juice S2.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. thegeek574

thegeek574

Sep 3, 2010
    what about a knife. if it is for EDC, i find a knife quite a bit more practical.

If you already have a knife that you carry, then i kinda liked my leatherman kick. sold it to my dad because i started EDCing a knife, and did not want the extra weight, but it was nice enough, for the price. also, the leatherman micra is pretty fin. it snaps open loudly, and works well. that one is currently in my sister's purse because i could not get her to carry anything else.

3. ballsagne

ballsagne

Jun 14, 2009
    I dont EDC a multitool but I do have a Leatherman Wave and I love it, Im not sure theres a job it cant do...:D plus it isnt incredibly bulky on your belt if you did want to EDC it...

4. TheUSMC2017

TheUSMC2017

Nov 24, 2010

5. Sevorius

Sevorius

Dec 28, 2007
    I've tried just about every multi-tool out there and settled on a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X. It has all the tools I wanted, and the quality on it blew my leatherman/gerber/sogs out of the water. It was so much better that I gave away all the others except my Leatherman Charge TTi which is my second favorite.
    If you carry in pocket like I do, then you will appreciate that the Spirit is fairly small and thin compared the the other brands without giving up any of the functionality. The good leathermans have a nice bit driver, but I found that I never carried the extra bits anyway since I don't use the belt sheath.
    The only downside I could find on the Victorinox is that the knife blade is not one-hand opening, but that doesn't bother me because I always have a real knife with me anyway.

6. thegeek574

thegeek574

Sep 3, 2010
    Alrighty. if you have the cutting power, are you looking for something with scissors and a screwdriver, or do you want one that has everything-and-a-flash-drive?

7. TheUSMC2017

TheUSMC2017

Nov 24, 2010
    Something lightweight that has just the basics- scissors, a main knife, phillips head and flat head screwdriver, a bottle and can opener. Tweezers could be nice too, if it's a SAK, but it's not necessary.

8. californiapyroboy

californiapyroboy

Nov 6, 2010
    :thumbup: +1 to the swisstool and the charge

Personally I like the charge a hair better, but I also don't mind a bulky multitool. But they are both great multitools that will serve you well. And even though you said you didn't want to spend to much money, a crappy multitool will fail in the line of duty and break later on causing you to spend more money. Oh and stay away from gerber and sog multitools, both have very low quality.

9. glockman99

glockman99 Super Moderator Super Mod

Jun 12, 2000
    I would suggest a Leatherman Wave, or for something alittle smaller & lighter, a Leatherman Juice S2.

10. Sep

Sep

Mar 14, 2009
    If these are the only tools you want, then a Victorinox Super Tinker will work for you. If you also want a pair of pliers, then get the LM Juice S2.

11. Dantor

Dantor

Dec 14, 2006
    I would say the opposite after carrying a knife for years. A multitool has a knife and so much more which is more practical to have for the size and weight.

For the price a SAK is a good way to get your feet wet in a multitool and to find out what tools you like and use.

Do you need pliers? do you need scissors? do you need a file? some say "yes!" some say no.

Like an awl or cork-screw, many would say they would never use them but I have found they can be handy tools to have (for many uses other than the obvious uses).

I really like my OHT and it's what I reach for when I go out, for it's tool compliment and size, just right for me. Others like a smaller MT/SAK like the Cadet.

I'd suggest experiment with them (which is not too hard with SAKs) and let us know what you find out that works for you ;)

Good Luck:thumbup:

12. Harayasu

Harayasu

Jun 18, 2009
    I EDC a multitool. For me it's more practical than just a single blade knife. A multitool gives you a lot more options. If you like to have pliers on you, look at the Leatherman models and just pick the one with the tools you'd like to carry. Otherwise take a look at the huge range of SAKs.

+1 on the Victorinox Super Tinker. An other option would be the Leatherman Juice S2. It's a bit more heavy as it adds pliers and a few more screw drivers.

13. znapschatz

znapschatz

Jan 24, 2005
    Both good options. I prefer the Juice S2 because of the pliers. It was an implement I never missed over many years of using SAKs, but when I got my first Leatherman, just having pliers opened up a whole world of utility. It wasn't long before I wondered how I had ever got along without one for so long. (Oh, that's right. They hadn't been invented yet.) :D

14. canook

canook

Jul 12, 2009
    As others have said the Vic Super Tinker covers all of this^. If you want somethng a little smaller maybe try a Wenger Evo 16, IMO the scissors are much nicer than the Vics.

15. justinw

justinw

Jan 28, 2011
    i had a kershaw for a while but then realised that multi tools are so much more useful, even if you have a $300 knife a $20 multi tool can do more than it, when do you ever need the high quality knives anyway? what do you cut that requires something so expensive? i can see buying them for collecting but not for use. a cheap knife as long as its not too cheap will work fine for edc, i use my multi tools a lot but you really dont use every single tool, look for one with the basics, blade, scissors, screw driver, nail file, and bottle opener if you need it, i dont drink though so i dont

16. Lewisite

Lewisite

Mar 9, 2011
    Have you tought about LM Skeletool?

17. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    I edc a Vic Huntsman in a belt sheath.I don't like heavy,and I don't need plyers often.If I need them,I always have some close by.

18. vollertron

vollertron

Feb 1, 2011
    I have a Blast and a Fuse. Big fan of both for belt carry but the Fuse is noticeably thinner and fells nice in whatever pocket you have room for.

19. styx

styx

Apr 21, 2010
    If you haven't bought anything yet, think what you need. Actually write it down. And then try what fits your needs, even if only in the shop. Size and weight, how do you like the feel of the tools and all that. Easier to decide than a bunch of randoms telling you what is best because it's best for them and maybe won't be worth a second thought for you

20. znapschatz

znapschatz

Jan 24, 2005
    As chief spokesman for the Association of Internet Randoms (AIR), I wish to add another perspective.
    Although it is a good idea to get a hands on evaluation of whatever candidate EDC items interest you, there is only so much you can learn from a brief fondle. It can be quite easy to get seduced by one or another model because they're all pretty swell. Chances are, you will be satisfied by whatever you choose. However, there is also a possibility of unforeseen issues with a tool that doesn't fully meet your needs. That's where advice from us AIRheads comes in. Not all will be on point, but some of us just may have found the right model for particular purposes that might be similar to yours, or a heads up about those that don't. That could be helpful information and you can ignore the rest. We don't mind. There's plenty more advice where that came from, and someday you might be adding to it. :D