First outing with new canoe.

I bought this canoe from a friend of mine this past winter. This is the first time I've had it out. I added the bass boat seat to it.
Wanted to see how she'd do, not sure adding the seat, center of balance and all. But it did great, did some fishing by myself, seen a lot of big fish under the water but did not catch any. My wife and daughter came up later and we all went out to see how the canoe would handle with all of us, a little more unstable but fine. Then my wife left and me and my daughter went around the lake (185 acers). What a great day, my daughters first time in a canoe. She loved it so much I didn't think we were ever going to get back to shore.
I had never fished from a canoe...why did I wait so long...It was so fun and peaceful.

canoee-Copy2.jpg

canoe8.jpg

nice little canoe, does it have foam under the bow and stern cutouts?
what does it weigh, around 50lb, she looks pretty light.

get a sideclamp scotty rod holder right away and you will fish a lot more if you don't have to worry about the rod.
You clamp it behind your seat and angle the rod up and forward so your paddle won't hit it on the backstroke but you can see the rod off your shoulder easy. Works on my friends canoe when his girl is up front and does not want the rod whacked by an oar.

Nice! I love nothing better than to be on the water in a canoe. At the moment my only canoe is a nine footer, a Dagger Tupelo, quite unstable for an adult and certainly not capable of carrying any additional weight. My 15 footer was stolen a couple of years ago and I haven't been able to replace it yet. Hopefully I can this spring.

i love my indain river 14'... my tyke and go fishing every chance we get.... i lives on my living room wall... lol

Nice! I love nothing better than to be on the water in a canoe. At the moment my only canoe is a nine footer, a Dagger Tupelo, quite unstable for an adult and certainly not capable of carrying any additional weight. My 15 footer was stolen a couple of years ago and I haven't been able to replace it yet. Hopefully I can this spring.

I hate scumbags.

I started out with Grumann aluminum canoes in the early sixties. Then in the early seventies I found the first Bluehole Sunbursts. Wow what a difference on whitewater! I've since had fiberglass and cross-link polyethelene, and foam core Royalex sandwich layups, but not kevlar yet. The plastics are much quieter and puncture resistant.

A tip for the aluminum boat... the gunnels are hot, noisy and leave a nasty aluminum oxide on your hands. Split a couple of short lengths of 1" diameter black polypipe and fit them over the gunnels where you hands and paddle contact them, front and rear. And... all of my canoes have always sported painters at each end. These are dual lines of either woven nylon or flat braided nylon, and allow for tying off to a dock, tree, or securing for cartopping. They make it much easier to line a canoe around obsticles, and to launch and retrieve the boat. Keep them reeved out of the way with bungee cord when underway for safety.

What are painters?

And... all of my canoes have always sported painters at each end. These are dual lines of either woven nylon or flat braided nylon, and allow for tying off to a dock, tree, or securing for cartopping. They make it much easier to line a canoe around obsticles, and to launch and retrieve the boat. Keep them reeved out of the way with bungee cord when underway for safety.

Thot I explained them... Mine are usually ten to twelve feet long and will reach to the front and rear bumpers of the vehicle when cartopping.

;)

34i0dhc.gif

And this is my favorite place to canoe...

309lbg2.jpg

Last edited:
J stroke, cross draw, unhook wife's rapala from lip while back paddling....

I haven't had any luck so far this spring finding old fashioned "dock" rods to use while canoing. These are three feet long spincasting rods, just the right size for one handed casting shile using a sculling paddle. Do they even make them anymore that aren't "Spiderman" or "Spongebob"?

Thot I explained them... Mine are usually ten to twelve feet long and will reach to the front and rear bumpers of the vehicle when cartopping.

;)

34i0dhc.gif

And this is my favorite place to canoe...

309lbg2.jpg

Oh ropes. I have caribiners on the ends of ropes to quickly secure ro a tree or my belt.

Few things are better than a boat and a paddle to soothe the soul. :)

I'm in the market for a canoe. Can you tell me more about how you have the anchor rigged up?

I haven't had any luck so far this spring finding old fashioned "dock" rods to use while canoing. These are three feet long spincasting rods, just the right size for one handed casting shile using a sculling paddle. Do they even make them anymore that aren't "Spiderman" or "Spongebob"?

I've only seen one used before up in Quentico by a guide. I just stick with my 6'6 baitcasters as I usually fish the slops for pikes and largemouths where I duck hunt.

I'm in the market for a canoe. Can you tell me more about how you have the anchor rigged up?

This is my first canoe so forgive me if I use the wrong terminology. There is a ring in the front and back of my canoe. Could be used for tie downs but I assumed it could also be used to run the anchor through, which is what I did. It worked flawlessly. Basically I sit in the front seat facing the back of the canoe, Which now becomes the front. The anchor is pulled all the way up and tied off to the bar in front of me, when I want to drop anchor I untie the slack, and slowly let it out. (the end of the rope is tied off at all times, don't want to drop anchor in water that is deeper than my rope is long)
here is a picture, the canoe is upside down in this photo. I drew a black line to simulate the rope. What I learned about my first outing is that I'm going to add a small cleat to the top side of the canoe so I can just wrap the anchor rope around it, instead of tying the slack off to the bar. ( It's funny, something thats so easy to do, is hard to explain in writing.

100_4746-1.jpg

Brad "the butcher";8211287 said:
nice little canoe, does it have foam under the bow and stern cutouts?
what does it weigh, around 50lb, she looks pretty light.

get a sideclamp scotty rod holder right away and you will fish a lot more if you don't have to worry about the rod.
You clamp it behind your seat and angle the rod up and forward so your paddle won't hit it on the backstroke but you can see the rod off your shoulder easy. Works on my friends canoe when his girl is up front and does not want the rod whacked by an oar.

The canoe is a 1967 Grumman 15 ft. canoe. My friend that sold it to me retired and was the original owner (well taken care of) not sure about the foam, but I would assume, that yes it has it. It is fairly light, not sure about fifty pounds, I would guess 60-75 lbs. I can lift it myself, but defiantly awkward loading and unloading, not so much the weight but the length and weight distribution.

Back