1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First rat ordered!!

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Twinsdad, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Twinsdad

Twinsdad Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2015
    i ordered my first rat yesterday a rmd with brown blade and tan handle. Can’t wait!!! I am usually a folder guy have had a bunch of sebenzas etc but lately into spyderco for all of their steel choices. I plan on using it as a general camp knife/food prep if it will do all of them. From what I read the sr101 steel is based off 52100 which I love, now what is the recommended care you all use for keeping rust etc at bay? Any other general advice for its care? What’s the current turn around time?

azwelke, Uncle Timbo and Hard Knocks like this.
  2. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I just received one 2 weeks ago and I think the turn around was 3-4 weeks on mine. The coating seems very good so just a little oil on the exposed parts. I have a generic spray bottle with some food grade mineral oil and it's lasted a long time for all of my carbon steel blades including several GEC's that I EDC and oil at least weekly while in use but every time after cleaning them. A single spritz into paper towel or tissue is usually enough to coat a blade.

Welcome to swamp. The RMD is an amazing all-purpose from what I've done with it so far. I've been comparing to my ratweiler, buck 119, and mora classic simply as a way to see what it does well compared to things I have. It's very much a master-of-nothing but decent at most things kind of knife. As a camp knife I think it's an amazing value if you start comparing it to things like esee and falkinaven.

I would recommend getting a sheath in advance because you're going to want to use it right away and the tactical cardboard sheath doesn't transport the greatest on a belt but it does okay in a back pocket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a JRE model N sheath, for reference. There are some good guys on here making some stock belt sheaths and kydex as well but I wanted a dangler and am pretty pleased with this off-the-shelf option.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  3. Twinsdad

Jul 13, 2015
    Thanks for the info

4. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I love those muddy & tan combos. A little swipe of mineral oil on the exposed edge will do the trick, like bikerector said. Welcome to the forum.

[​IMG]

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  5. Twinsdad

Jul 13, 2015
    Thanks for the tips. They charged the rest of the order so hopefully it won’t be much longer

Hard Knocks likes this.
  6. YVWM-47

YVWM-47 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    That was fast i ordered one on 9/6 and still haven't got dinged.

7. Twinsdad

Jul 13, 2015
    It took my by surprise too. I wasn’t expecting to get charged for a few weeks at least

8. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Good things come to those who wait. (I can't remember who said that?)

9. Twinsdad

Jul 13, 2015
    That’s for sure. The more I get into knives the more waiting I do lol

10. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Just be careful... a lot of folks who ordered their first from the shop could not wait patiently for delivery and went on to exchange here to address the impatience... :D

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  11. Twinsdad

Jul 13, 2015
    Man the wait is killing me.

12. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    The wait can be rough but it’s well worth it :) Ratmandu is a great knife !!

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  13. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Kinda like the old days when you'd have to wait on your income tax return. But you might not remember that?

Malpaso and Twinsdad like this.
  14. Brad "the butcher"

Brad "the butcher"

Dec 15, 2008
    Do they make it without the useless annoying choil?? If so sign me up
    Its amazing how 40 years of trapping, hunting, guiding for a few years and 14 years in a slaughterhouse
    and never once did I wish I could "choke up on my blade"
    Edge to the handle.....maybe a 1/4 in notch for sharpening makes it way more useable
    For 20 years I have said since the choil was big......A good knife coiled is a good knife spoiled...why my rc6 collects dust

15. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I certainly don't need a(nother) Ratmandu; but the addition of green and maroon micarta to the handle options brings back that familiar WANT.
    Can anybody tell me how the maroon micarta looks? I got it on one knife (S.O.S.), and it was not even close to maroon... more of an ugly brown; but I've seen pictures that looked a lot better.

16. Twinsdad

Jul 13, 2015
    Lol yes I remember those days

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  17. ronnie hood

ronnie hood

Mar 12, 2018
    I ordered one last week. As soon as the money taken better get on to mashed cat

18. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Here’s some with maroon handles. Personally I’ve had better luck with the maroon vs green. Some of my green came a little dry(?) some like a dirty green color.
    2AAF3DBE-1EB4-42D4-B93E-5D8254C0267D.jpeg 6BDC4985-4947-4E9E-BA22-03674A500864.jpeg A372336C-EBED-4F78-B979-EE81B7289F85.jpeg

19. inkynate

inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    Hey HH,

The maroon has a lot of variation based on what I've seen. I was the taker on that SOS, very dark color, more purple than maroon, almost very dark brown/black with a light coat of mineral oil. Here it is with my other maroon handles after I sanded the scales:

[​IMG]

duramax likes this.
  20. duramax

Nov 29, 2012
    That BAe looks sweet !!! Deep maroon on that one :)