1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

First Spyderco

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by bfwhite, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Aug 19, 2012
    I have my first spydie on the way to my house, Para military 2. CANT WAIT!

After that it will be:
    Caly 3.5
    Sage titanium
    Delica 4
    Urban
    Military
    and so many more..

2. zl1

zl1

Nov 24, 2012
    Great list Heisen

3. Don W

Don W Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    bfwhite- Did you get the Manix2 yet? How do you like it?
    I have been using one all month and it feels like an old friend. I have my eye on a couple of other Spyderco knives, but I havent made up my mind.

4. rg02

rg02 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Welcome to the addiction! Manix 2 is a great spydie platform!

5. xICEMANx

xICEMANx Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Everyone should own a Para 2. Great choice.

6. bfwhite

bfwhite

Jan 7, 2013
    Don W. Just got it on Wednesday and love it so far. I have the WE PP1 so I used it to put a wicked edge on it. I put 20 degree each side but it appears the original bevel is lower in angle. Does anyone know what angle they are sharpened to at the factory? I will use it for a while then drop it down t 17 degrees a side. If that does not match the original bevel, then I can go to 15 degrees a side. I don't want to go lower than that as I believe the edge with be to weak and chip or roll.

7. Custom

Custom Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2012
    great start! the caly is amazing!

8. NateReed

NateReed

Jan 20, 2013
    The Manix 2 (lightweight) was my first Spyderco. Now I have 6 in 8 months, as well as 2 more I have given away

9. BigBill5953

BigBill5953

Mar 5, 2012
    Welcome!

10. KrisOK

KrisOK

Oct 17, 2012
    Ahhhhh..... The first Spydie..... I remember her well. It's an Endura with stainless handles and a partially serrated blade. It taught me two things. First that I REALLY liked Spydercos, and second, that I'm really not fond of stainless handles. They scratch too easy, are cold to use in the winter and don't give the best grip. Since then, my collection of Spydercos has grown to just about 70, including that first Endura. With the exception of a couple of Lil' Big Knives, none of the rest have had stainless handles.

11. Matt Markell

Matt Markell

May 12, 2012
    Nice first Spydie OP. My first was an Endura that I sold after finding too weirdly light for it's length. I do have a Gayle Bradley on the way to replace it though :)

12. theoriginalspaceman

theoriginalspaceman

Sep 16, 2012
    Great choice. My PM2 never leaves my pocket. Spyderco is just a great company. I've been really happy with their QC and customer service.

13. The-Stig

The-Stig

Jul 7, 2012
    The Manix 2 is an amazing knife. You'll be hooked on Spyderco for sure. I started with a Tenacious, then a Delica, then Manix 2, then Techno! I plan on getting a Para 2 and maybe even a Southard. I also can't wait to see the new knives for this year.

14. Topcatpt

Topcatpt

Dec 15, 2012
    good pickup great knife use it daily

15. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Congratulations on your First Spyder BROTHER. I'll never ever forget the first Spyderco knife I ever bought>> Oh the memories :) I doesn't seem like a long time but when I think about it the clock sure went fast. It was back in the Spring of 1995 when I got my very first Spyder>> which as a stainless handled "Mariner" model in full Spyderedge>> even by today's ridgid standards it was a superbly built knife.

It blows me away how with very little effort you can keep Spyders looking great year after year.

There is something about high quality items that make for even better memories in the long run.

16. 78LilRed

78LilRed

Dec 6, 2005
    GB is a must have.

17. D1omedes

D1omedes

May 3, 2009
    Congrats and welcome to the club. I'm sure you will love the Caly 3.5. It is my favorite Spyderco to date and makes for an excellent EDC. It even has the infamy of being a mountain lion-killer. ;)

18. bfwhite

bfwhite

Jan 7, 2013
    So, I put a 15 degree angle (30 inclusinve) on the edge using my Wicked Edge system. Before I put the edge on it, I did a push test through a phone book and cut through 300 pages. Not bad but after the WE treatment I cut through 600 pages and had to stop pushing because I was at the bottom of the phone book.

19. Don W

Don W Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    That is cool. You should post some pics.

20. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi BfWhite,

Welcome and thanx much.

We generally use a factory edge angle of about 30 degrees (15 per side).

sal