First time posting here, thought I should say hello

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by mds, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    Personally, I'd go with the oven first.

2. mds

mds

Dec 17, 2014
    That's probably what I'll end up doing. I figure I'll need all the time and opportunities I can get to learn to nail a HT whereas the grinder is more of a "want" - just a really, really big one.

3. foreveryoung001

foreveryoung001

Dec 24, 2015
    I'm really impressed with your early knives. I just started myself, and wish my early efforts were as nice as what your making. Keep up the great work!

4. mds

mds

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks! I have a decent amount of experience working with wood and metal in other fields which has come in handy. The difference between my first knife and the most recent stuff is night and day over just a few months so I have no doubt you'll blow past the stuff I posted in no time. Good luck :thumbup:

5. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    Well done on the membership change to Orange:thumbup:

6. J. Doyle

J. Doyle Bladesmith/Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 17, 2008
    You don't have to make that the benchmark of your knives. You don't even have to make that an aspiration. In fact....I wouldn't.

I want to be clear...I am in NO WAY slighting the makers or the knives that do the cinder block chopping. However, it isn't high on the list of attributes that make an exceptional knife or even a good knife. It's probably been used more as a test for the maker to understand what a given knife or steel is capable of rather than a desired purpose for the knife.

A knife that will chop cinder blocks well most likely won't do knife related tasks well. Everything is about balance and if you start altering that balance towards one end, you'll have to give up traits on the other end, in a very general way of speaking.

I just didn't want you to think your knives have to chop cinder blocks to be good knives.

7. no.4shot

no.4shot

Nov 14, 2015
    Some nice looking knives. Keep at it and keep pushing yourself. Trying new techniques.

8. mds

mds

Dec 17, 2014
    Thank you to everyone for the kind welcome and advice. I'm glad I finally decided to poke my head in to the forums.

9. loftisray

loftisray

Dec 27, 2015
    Very nice knives
    I'm partial to fixed blades and your work is very thought out and the details are becoming more refined as you progress
    I envy your work
    Thanks for sharing it
    Ray

10. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    A PA maker... Welcome!
    Nice work.
    Do you make a chisel grind?
    rolf

11. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    i like your color choices on the handles, and nicely done blades.

12. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Very nice style for sure, really like the Tangarine skinner looks like a great EDC! I will be keeping an eye on your work for sure. Best Martin

13. mds

mds

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks again guys... I have not done a chisel grind yet. I'm trying to do one project knife per month for this year though so maybe that will be one of them.

14. gmusic

gmusic

Mar 21, 2009
    I just ran across your post, your doing excellent work it looks like to me. Keep posting your knives please. J. Doyle gave some very good advice.........

15. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Very clean looking knives. Thanks for sharing.

16. T.K.C.

T.K.C.

May 7, 2005
    I like the looks of your knives very much.

17. v8r

v8r

Mar 6, 2009
    Those all look very nice to me. I really like the one you said you gave your brother ( orange and OD green handle). the little skinner is also cool.
    On a side note if you think your work isn't good enough, take a look at some of the stuff being peddled at most gun shows in this country as being " handmade". I have seen a lot of stuff that is down right sloppy as far as workmanship.
    I think it's safe to say you care what your knives look like, and how they are constructed. It is reflected in the pictures you have shown so far.