Fish smell on buck 110

Hello. A couple of days ago my friend used my buck 110 to cut some anchovies as bait while fishing. Now my knife smells of anchovies. I tried soaking it in Dawn soap but the smell still is linguring. I told him to wash the knife blade before closing it but he did not listen to me. I am worried there are microscopic anchovie guts lodged within my knife and cannot get them out. I just sprayed it with Lysol to see if that helps. Anyone have any recommendations?

If it is truly fishy I imagine some lemon juice will help kill the smell. Just make sure to rinse it again with soap and water after or else it will patina.

You could always send it back to Buck for their Spa Treatment.

Try letting it sit in rice for a day or two, idk.

And this is why a cheap stainless fixed blade knife with plastic handles is a great thing to have in a tackle box...

Anyway, I've used white vinegar and alcohol to clean up stinky SAKs, followed by regular dish detergent and a good rinse with warm water.

Just be careful with the wood handle.

For knives that cannot be disassembled Cyber Clean is a great way to clean them. Cyber Clean basically is 1990's children toy slime with some cleaning ingredients. It is mainly used to clean keyboards and other electronic equipment but it work's for folding knives just as well.

Maybe try and ultrasonic cleaner if you have one or know a friend that has one. Something like fuel oil or 3-in-one may do the trick as well.

I think you're problem is likely the fear most people have using folders for such things, it's gotten into the pivot gaps and now is a butt to clean.

You could also try lightly heating it to 155 deg F for 15 min (USDA beef cook protocol; less time at higher temps) which should kill most of the bacteria without harming the knife's temp. I don't think it would hurt the handles but maybe try that on a piece of sealed wood first and see what it does. Hot water might do the trick but it could corrode things a little. De-ionized water should help the corrosion piece, though I'm sure there are plenty of ions that would come off the knife if it is already dirty, but it should help.

Maybe an oven on a warm setting could be a better way, just put something between the knife and steel shelves. Use air as the heating medium instead of water.

Put it in a baggie with baking soda overnight and then rinse it off.

It may take more than one time depending on how bad.

White vinegar mixed with warm water. Then use dish soap and warm water. Rinse. Compressed air. Lubricate with a drop of USP mineral oil.

Maybe try and ultrasonic cleaner if you have one or know a friend that has one. Something like fuel oil or 3-in-one may do the trick as well.

I think you're problem is likely the fear most people have using folders for such things, it's gotten into the pivot gaps and now is a butt to clean.

You could also try lightly heating it to 155 deg F for 15 min (USDA beef cook protocol; less time at higher temps) which should kill most of the bacteria without harming the knife's temp. I don't think it would hurt the handles but maybe try that on a piece of sealed wood first and see what it does. Hot water might do the trick but it could corrode things a little. De-ionized water should help the corrosion piece, though I'm sure there are plenty of ions that would come off the knife if it is already dirty, but it should help.

Maybe an oven on a warm setting could be a better way, just put something between the knife and steel shelves. Use air as the heating medium instead of water.

I thought about an ultrasonic cleaner or an autoclave (I've got both at hand) but I hesitated to recommend it because I'm not sure about how wood (even though it's coated and probably stabilized) will handle the process.

I've cleaned lots of titanium and steel stuff, but never something with wood handles.

If the OP has access to either of these machines (go befriend your neighbourhood tattoo artist), maybe a little test with a cheap paring knife would show the effect (if any) on wood.

For when your knives are less than fresh

tVH9tLo.jpg

fish smell is tough to remove sometimes.
anchovies are the worst of it.
i suggest using a different bait.

i would use vinegar, then soap and water, then baking soda, then soap and water again - and repeat a couple of times.
if that doesnt work, you are probably stuck smelling like ceasar salad for a while.

Heat some chicken stock,add veggies and the knife and invite your buddy over for some Cioppino

WD40 generously all over the folder. Let it sit for a few minutes, then soap with warm water and toothbrush.

I’ve sprayed lots of folders out with brake cleaner. It’ll take pretty much anything off. I don’t know how it would affect the finish on the wood scales on a 110 though.

Back