Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

I love stories like this. :thumbsup:

I did something I never anticipated doing yesterday: handed over my beloved EDC2 to a work buddy to try out on his upcoming Kansas whitetail trip. Like many hunters, he has every piece of high end gear EXCEPT a great knife. So I'm hoping to have a testimony to share in a few weeks, and hopefully a 160-class whitetail pic. :cool:

Well, my EDC will be returned unbloodied. :( My buddy missed a 150” 10pt the first day. One guy in their group killed a nice buck early one morning, and by the time he got back to camp, the work was done so he never got to try the knife.

Here’s a bruiser he passed on taking due to half the rack missing!

gDXK4rBl.png

Thanks for sharing the pictures Brian77 Brian77 ...

I enjoy every type of hunting I have ever done ... and that's a lot ... but there is a special place in my heart for upland bird hunting ...

I love good working dogs ... I love the action of flushing birds fast shooting ... but I can have a great day just handling the dogs and letting others shoot.

Day 1 the weather was sunny, and windy. The birds were sitting nice and tight, and the dogs pointed and gave us time to close in. When they flushed, they climbed fast and got into the wind, and then hit the afterburner.

The dogs retrieved beautifully. It's so much fun to watch well trained, responsive bird dogs. We had a wirehair pointer, 2 labs, and a German Shorthair.

Day 2 dawned cloudy and calm. Much colder. By the time we got to the fields, it was snowing with a little in the ground. As we unloaded and got set up for our first field, we had the privilege of watching a morning flight of pheasants leaving the shelter belt of trees, about 200 yards north of us. We watched and listened as hundreds of pheasants flew out and headed into a 600 acre harvested milo field to feed.

Then we got down to hunting! We flushed and got 2 roosters within a few paces of the start of that first strip of corn. Today the action was phenomenal, probably because of the snow and colder Temps had moved them into the food.

It's a trip if a lifetime if you ever get to do it.

20191126_112113(1)_resized.jpg IMG_20191126_113626_313_resized.jpg 20191126_115729_HDR(1)_resized.jpg 20191126_123803_resized.jpg IMG_20191126_124624_510_resized.jpg

Day 1 the weather was sunny, and windy. The birds were sitting nice and tight, and the dogs pointed and gave us time to close in. When they flushed, they climbed fast and got into the wind, and then hit the afterburner.

The dogs retrieved beautifully. It's so much fun to watch well trained, responsive bird dogs. We had a wirehair pointer, 2 labs, and a German Shorthair.

Day 2 dawned cloudy and calm. Much colder. By the time we got to the fields, it was snowing with a little in the ground. As we unloaded and got set up for our first field, we had the privilege of watching a morning flight of pheasants leaving the shelter belt of trees, about 200 yards north of us. We watched and listened as hundreds of pheasants flew out and headed into a 600 acre harvested milo field to feed.

Then we got down to hunting! We flushed and got 2 roosters within a few paces of the start of that first strip of corn. Today the action was phenomenal, probably because of the snow and colder Temps had moved them into the food.

It's a trip if a lifetime if you ever get to do it.

View attachment 1239536 View attachment 1239537 View attachment 1239538 View attachment 1239540 View attachment 1239541

looks a great time to share with family and friends!!! And I would agree if you enjoy hunting and dogs ... an upland bird hunt is hard to beat. And SD is as good as it gets.

Snuck out for a quick South Fl flats fishing trip Monday. Crispy morning,
good water, and plenty of bites. Mangrove and mutton snapper, yellow jack, and a mackerel.

We were about to head in and our guide told me to make my last cast count. It got hammered, and I had to really lean into it...then... line snap! I thwacked him with all the recoil a fishing rod can have! Lol. Sure would like to know what that one was.

Found what quite possibly was the best Cuban, heck, the best sandwich I’ve ever had for lunch after. Good day!

thE5K8P.jpg

2qvvFWb.jpg

J3wPpp5.jpg

529t0iq.jpg

HwFTxCf.jpg

elWjnsp.jpg

rWRxaAH.jpg

And the REAL payoff :):

rAxmYCG.jpg

Snuck out for a quick South Fl flats fishing trip Monday. Crispy morning,
good water, and plenty of bites. Mangrove and mutton snapper, yellow jack, and a mackerel.

We were about to head in and our guide told me to make my last cast count. It got hammered, and I had to really lean into it...then... line snap! I thwacked him with all the recoil a fishing rod can have! Lol. Sure would like to know what that one was.

Found what quite possibly was the best Cuban, heck, the best sandwich I’ve ever had for lunch after. Good day!

thE5K8P.jpg

2qvvFWb.jpg

J3wPpp5.jpg

529t0iq.jpg

HwFTxCf.jpg

elWjnsp.jpg

rWRxaAH.jpg

And the REAL payoff :):

rAxmYCG.jpg

Where were you fishing? That looks amazing

Meanwhile in Colorado... we had to head up from Golden to an event yesterday evening. This is at a bison ranch; apparently the elk cruise in at evening feeding time. A handful of bison calves (year old, I presume) were having a heck of a romp. There were two decent bulls in with the elk, and a few spikes. The really big boys were absent, presumably off solo by now. Some of the bison were close to the fence and made the elk look small!

l5zaAGyl.jpg

The turkeys are gobbling. I had a tom coming in from my left about 150 yards out, two more answering from the right about 300 yards out, and this jake that took the direct route.

VMQVQ1K.jpg
Direct route to the dinner table :)
Congrats on a successful hunt!
I bagged my first turkey two seasons ago, I find it to be as much fun as deer hunting ( maybe even more fun ).
I bought my first license the previous season and had a dozen creep into the field mid day while deer season overlapped during the Early antlerless here in Michigan. I didn’t shoot because I didn’t want to blow up my deer hunt, it was a hard choice, but it paid off in venison.
I’m looking forward to getting after some turkey again.

Draw results came out here last week and I got a big nothing.
Spring Turkey is my only hope for a while. I did see some sign this weekend but no birds or calling...……..

I definitely will, but it’s going to be until mid June when salmon open. I don’t think I’m going to spend much time this year going after anything else. Halibut is supposed to be open sometime this year but still tbd.

I've got a trip scheduled to Prince of Wales in 2021. I'll likely explode before then with the anticipation. Wish it was this year if things settle down. Good luck man.

Back