Fishing rods...huh?

I know this is a knife forum but I am sure some of you are avid fishermen as well and since I like you guys I figured I would ask yall.

I am getting a shimano metanium and am trying to pair it up with a pretty decent rod.
This is going to be a dedicated worm/Texas rig..etc rod

I am wanting a MH to a H rod with a fast to Xtra fast tip somewhere around a 7'3 to a 7'6

I have it narrowed down to 2 or 3 rods. Just wondering if any of you have used or know about these
1. 13 fishing envy black
2. Phoenix m1
3. A kistler magnesium 2

Let me know, thanks

BTW..had no idea there was a fishing section here...haha...I was looking for an off topic thread

Last edited:
No experience with any of those. Sure their out of my budget. I like Daiwa best for rods. Even cheaper ones are very good imo.

What knife you gonna use to clean the fish? Filleting or gut & scale? It makes a difference which knife you going to pair up dem rods & reels with.

Why might I ask. I have a carbon steel older one, of course not in the same league at all, but they are nice

With that long of a rod, casting all day will wear you out. The kistler will not wear you out with all day use, compare the weight of the rod to others in the same size and you'll see the difference. If you use a lighter reel, the correct combo can shave several ozs off and make all the difference in the world.
If you do a lot of pitching/ flipping, the kistler can't be beat.

Wieght is not a concern. I have all my rigs counter weighted and some wieght over a pound but since they are perfectly balanced, it fells like nothing in your hand. I may end up doing the same thing to this one, just have to see
I mostly just do catch and release but I always have my 560bw on me

Yea, but I have heard about problems with the new ones breaking and I am not a fan of the completely expose rod under the real seat. I need a little handle material there.

I've never had a problem with a Shimano rod but fully understand how you feel about the handle. It's not for everyone and does take some getting used to. I like the extra sensitivity the exposed handle gives.

With the action you describe, my wife's Teramar sounds like it would do the job. I think it was around $165.00.

Well I have finally decided on a JDM zillion sv tw paired with either a new helium 3 or a used z bone rod

Speaking of fishing, man I'm due for a day of it I know that..! :D

Last edited:
Well I have finally decided on a JDM zillion sv tw paired with either a new helium 3 or a used z bone rod

Sweet reel, checkout the megabass rods they'd be the perfect mate to that SV goodness. Megabass just upgraded their JDM online store. If you checkout Japan lure shop or Japan tackle for good deals on rods.....the new Met MGL and scorpions are about to drop.

Japan lure is where I am getting the reel from.
I had initially decided on the met but like the zillion a little more and I think there was some rare cases of the micro gear failing, just know the zillion is a work horse, plus they have the 9.1 ratio which was a plus for me and my use for it

I was looking at the orchi xx but was more than I wanted to spend and then I saw the lavante but can't imagine it's better than the helium 3

Once I could afford them Loomis has always been my rod of choice, bought a St Croix 2 years ago but have not really fished it. Loomis is the best power to weight rod i've come across and they make a Texas rig specific rod [I have the spinner bait specific rod], if it's in your budget you can't go wrong with GLX series.

In any event, Loomis or St. Croix will last a lifetime [broke a Loomis IM-6 rod once and they sent me a new GL-3], don't know if they still do that but of about 10 rods it's the only one which broke.

All the best!

* And btw - I've used Calcutta, Calais and Chronarch since the late 1990's and all still work great so your reel choice can't be beat!

Last edited:
A Calcutta is on the list for my swimbait/Alabama rig
Checked out the glx, wowzer....they are not cheap.
Plus I did a search on other forms and most were saying they would prefer the helium over the glx.

A Calcutta is on the list for my swimbait/Alabama rig
Checked out the glx, wowzer....they are not cheap.
Plus I did a search on other forms and most were saying they would prefer the helium over the glx.

Kistler runs now North Fork blanks which Gary Loomis works closely with after he sold G.Loomis to Shimano. I wouldn't sweat it. I know my buddy's fished the older stuff, then Kistler had some shortcomings. When he re-released the KLX was supposed to be a wicked blank, they were 150 back then, (still really good but price is aligned now) Now a few yrs later they have all new line-up and pricing. I saw the tackle tour gave em a good review, this the lime green Winn grip version you looking at? It'll match the green on the zillion I think right? It should be a really good rod. Shoot at that price range it don't think you can lose haha it's more of a preference in look and style. I only mentioned MB cuz if you going JDM reel they are one of the best JDM rods. They just dropped some new destroyer rods in the high 200 low 300 range. I know another acquaintance who has several of their rods. I throw some of their hard baits, works of art that catch fish...... I heard if you're a shimano fan the met is the go to worm reel. They say it's so connected to the rod etc. I dunno I have yet to throw that much $ at a reel. I have heard great stuff about the new zillions too. Can't go wrong with either. Post up pics of the combo, i'd like to see it.....if you ever wanna check a good fishing forum out ultimate bass is good as any.

Last edited:
Back