Fiskars vs. Estwing - which one?

I love both brands, and like both. Each has its good points. I think the Estwing is probably a bit more durable, though the Fiskars doesn't lack in that department. As another poster mentioned, the Fiskars has a slightly thicker head, and is probably the better splitter, but not by much. If you like to choke up near the head for fine carving work, the Fiskars has the clear advantage by not having that steel neck above the handle.

You could also go with the rubber handles Estwing. I have the bigger camp axe and it chops great. No more vibration than my wooden handles axes. I also have a small rubber handles Estwing hatchet, and there is very little vibration there either. In fact, if Estwing made the rubber handle in their smallest hatchet I would have one of those. I am a pretty avid axe/hatchet guy, have probably at least 50-60 hatchets and axes and I rotate them. I'll use one for awhile and then keep switching them around. And since I heat with wood and live in the boonies, I use an axe most every single day.

i got an old leather handled estwing hatchet hanging on a hook in my kitchen. i dont know why. maybe, " just in case ". :D

I have the Hudson Bay 3/4 length Estwing and a leather-handled hatchet. I find that both the rubber and leather handles absorb shock pretty well. Both have held up to lots of use. I've had similarly favorable results with their rock picks.

DancesWithKnives

I picked up an Estwing with a rotten leather handle for 2$, removed it and wrapped a 550 chute cord handle on it. No hotspots or vibration with heavy use. One of my favorite choppers.--KV

i got a fiskars splitting axe when they first came out maybe 10 years ago.
i was a little hesitant on the "plastic handle" but after all these years of heavy use i 2nd the companys claim that they are unbreakable. the steel is also of very good quality with no major chips.
my next fiskars purchase is going to be there garden shovel, dont know how long they've been out but they look badass.

I know a scoutmaster who claims that Fiskars hatchets are the only ones his scout troop can't break. That's a high recommendation. Teenage boys are hell on gear of all sorts.

Can I ask why you all recommend a steel handled hatchet? That puts a lot of vibration back into the elbow and arm.

I've owned the smallest Estwing hatchet since my dad gave it to me when I was about 12 (I'm now 55). I'm on my third sheath for the little tool, which was abused as only a young boy can. It's a great tool made of truly wonderful steel. I purchased the longer (camp axe?) model-about 25" handle-ten years ago. That's when I discovered the vibration thing. I use my hatchet mostly for splitting short sections of firewood using the Estwing as a wedge and pounding it with a baton. I use the full size axe as an axe. It's certainly unbreakable (at least I can't imagine how one would break it), but sustained use will rattle your teeth a bit.

This year I've started working with more traditional axes (Wetterlings and Gransfors Bruks). My Estwings have gotten lonely.

PC

I have experience with an Estwing hatchet and a Fiskars axe, the Estwing i think is easyer to sharpen to a thin edge, while the fiskars will split better. the estwings handle is extreamly strong (one piece of steel!) but the leather can mold up if uncared for over many years of hard use, however it is more grippy than the fiskars, which is lighter. personally i think they are both Great axes and would just pick whichever one i like the looks of more. good luck!

I had both and gave my brother in law my fiskars. The Estwing is a great tool. I own a GB axe and it's wonderful but I can't justify the expense of their hactchet when I got the Estwing in my gear. It does everything it needs to. Plus I like the little bit of extra weight it has. It sinks deep and is quite useful as a hammer for driving stakes. I did put a nice polised convex edge on it though. Holds up great.

I like the grind on an Estwing best of all the hatchets I've ever used. It's closest to a tomahawk which is what I prefer, but many places outlaw hawks while a hatchet is still legal.

i gotta say ive had an estwing for years and it does everything ive ever needed it to do.i have 2 estwing rip hammers and the hatchet. the only thing i would like to see is the camp hatchet with a rubber grip instead of just the leather. estwing all the way!

I like the Firestone hatchet. It is stainless and doubles as a ulu knife. Great for flensing blubber and skinning rhinos.

If it matters - and it does to me - Estwings are made in the USA in Rockford, Illinois.

I have th bigger rubber handled Estwing and I took the handle off to shorten and lighten it, and the rubber is covering a hollow tube, which is somehow attached to the neck of the head. I was a bit put off by this and now use my fiskars mostly.
I like the look of the estwings hatchets with the leather washer handles a lot though.

I use a fiskars splitting axe and have had some edge chipping. Reprofiled it and all is good. Splits wood very well...

But, I do have a bit of experience with both of these. I loved the Estwing from the first time I saw it... looked cool, indestructable, etc...

until the first time I laid into a piece of hardwood with it. Ouch! nothing but pain from my hands through my elbows. I never spent any time sharpening it after I got it, it may have helped some with the impact vibrations, but they were still pretty severe. Mine got stolen and I did not replace it.

After this I bought the Back Paxe.

I have carried this thing all over the world, including combat many times over the last decade. I have never cut down a large tree, or built a log cabin with it, but IMHO this is one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever owned. I took my DMT sharpener to the edge back when I got it, and within a minute I could shave hair off my arm like I have with few knives from the manufacurers merely by removing the burr from the edge. I've never had any issues with my edge chipping, though there are probably many here who have used theirs harder. I also liked the flared end on the handle, very comfortable, and allows you to relax your grip just a little.

I have been meaning to get one of his bigger brothers for years, but just did not really have a need. I don't think the Estwing Camp Ax would out perform my Back Paxe. Even IF it did take a few extra swings to get the job done I know I would not be in pain.

Even IF you could argue that the Estwing was more durable (I have doubts) the Fiskars:
#1 will not beat you up
#2 much lighter without sacrificing any performance
#3 less susceptible to corrosion

I am not sure what the price differences are these days, but I'm sure the Gerber/ Fisakars are competetive.

I will however make a zombie disclaimer... The Eswing begs to be modified into a zombie dispatching apparatus.

Fiskars/Gerber by about a mile. I have used both for years. The fiskars wins everytime. The estwing is garbage compared to the others. The estwing rattles you in half chopping with it. The edge also takes alot to get what the fiskars come with. I have bent estwings biggest camper but have never bent or broken a fiskars. The hollow handle is handy as well for a little survival kit. I read once that someone spray foamed a handle and it floated. I am not sure it would work but kinda cool if it did. I carry a midsize gerber that comes with a good sheath. I bring my big fiskars splitter on big camping trips. For whatever reason they dont include a sheath with the bigger ones. The estwing sheaths are ok but they eventually loosen up and the snap on the leather gets sloppy.

Fiskars/Gerber axes are just about unbeatable IMHO.
Zach

Back