Fiskers hatchet

u812

Gold Member
I am about to get one.
What do you think would be best for BOB-emergency use?The 8 in or 14 in.I am leaning toward the 8 in.
Thanks

i have the 8 inch one, great hatchet to have around
trip7september_2010.jpg

trip6september_2010.jpg

also, very small and handy
IMG_4046_resize.jpg

I'd get the 14" if you have the space. The weight difference is negligible and the longer tool is more powerful.

Take note that the handles are hollow. My boys destroyed one near the area close to the head. Takes a hell of an edge though.

SGB

I have the 14in through the full size axe and love em! Just dang good tools :)

I have used the 8 (gerber version) for backpacking. I would definately go for the 14 if I had it to do again or for BOB purposes. The shorter handle really limits what can be done with the hatchet vis a vie a larger knife.

I broke my 14in hatchet by batoning the area right behind the head. Note to self, dont do that again. But i took a picture of it and emailed Fiskars and they sent me a new one. They are easy to sharpen too.

I carry the 8" in my vehicle for emergencies. It does not give you the Man Power of an axe, but it will get just about any job done. And it doesn't take up much space.

14" is the most versatile IMO.

Not a big weight difference but the longer handle makes kindling, tent peg cutting etc way easier.

Fiskars is a good brand choice.

I have the 8" Gerber version and am real satisfied with it. For camping and making fires, it's used mostly to cut off branches. A saw is used for cutting pieces to length for the fire. I think you'd be happy with either length.

I went with the 14" one. I have currently loaned it out to my aging father, for destructive testing on kindling manufacture for the woodburning stove. He currently has managed to gouge the plastic holding the head to the handle, and I figger any year now, he'll wedge enough wood splinters under the head to complete testing. :(

Buy a Gransfors Mini, instead.

Last edited:
Look in the axe, hatchet and tomahawk forum. There is a review of the new fiskars hatchet with better protection for the plastic around the head. I don't know if it cures the problem of gouging completely, but it should reduce it. I have the old version, but if I ever wear it out, I will by a wood handled replacement.

Not digging the hollow handle,thinking maybe a Estwing.
Went to Lowes today only to find out they stopped carrying Estwing.

Not digging the hollow handle,thinking maybe a Estwing.
Went to Lowes today only to find out they stopped carrying Estwing.

Home Depot should have both the hatchet and the camp axe. Just picked up the Estwing hatchet last week, $35 if I remember correctly.

Home Depot should have both the hatchet and the camp axe. Just picked up the Estwing hatchet last week, $35 if I remember correctly.

Thanks,I will check there.
Ebay seems a bit high on them.

Not digging the hollow handle.

They are strong as hell and have a lifetime waranty. You'd have to do something really wrong to break them.......and whatever that is, it would probably break a wood handle too.

I've got the 14" version. I love it, but I've since discovered that a golok or khukuri of around the same overall length as the hatchet serves me better. I've been looking at the new version of the hatchet though, and trying to justify picking one up even though I know I probably won't use it much. I think they've definitely made some improvements in the design.

You can break the Estwings too. I have broken a number of their rock hammers. But I do like their regular hammers and other products.

I have the longer handled Fiskar hatchet/axe. I like it and it is a good choice for a BOB. I keep an axe, machete, and other "tools" in my truck all the time for emergency use. When I worked in the woods a lot, I kept a small chain saw too to clear fallen trees from the dirt roads I had to navigate on a daily basis at that time (for a couple years). I don't carry a chain saw around anymore. I need to buy a new one actually. I even hauled around a small generator for a while for limited electrical needs when I was out in the woods working. Now I just have rechargable tools and leave the generator at home unless I specifically need it.

Back