Fit and Finish - A Long Story

I dont own one and i dont think i will ever, the value is just not there for the stupid pricepoint.
I have no trust on linerlocks (and framelocks) for ''hard use'' cqb and i'm even less confident in such a tiny titanium liner lock face durability on the long term.
I dont swallow the hype and boastful statements EE is known for nor i dont buy the fantasy of being an oper8tor and stabbing baddies' skulls, i dont like his tough and rough attitude of 'been there done that' and listing his full C.V. in a forum post to justify the half assed attention to details.
I like the wave fature a lot though as i like the commander and cqc7 design.
8 years ago or so i saw a commander in brussels priced for 500 euros while a stainless ATR went for 200 and so was the manix (the old gen with a sturdy lockback done well).
I didnt even asked to handle the commander, seeing it on the wooden stand from close i knew i wouldnt ever pay more than 200 for this.
I hope there will be a decent collaboration with Spyderco or BM for me to lay my hands on a super commander one day.

There's a youtube video floating around of a CQC-7 being put through its paces alongside a ZT350. The tiny titanium liner lock face held up just fine.

As far as pricing, 500 euros for a commander? I don't think the blame goes to EKI for that high price. That said, you can get an Emerson for way less than $200 here, all day.

Collaboration-wise, check out the ZT620.

Threethreethree, I see your point. At one point,I wasn't sure what I wanted and have gone throught the same routine as most new knife collectors. After a while, I realised what worked for me and what didn't since I will use and some times abuse my knives. I have broken smaller pivot screws loading the blade all wrong. I have busted the tips of some knives using them as a screwdriver or even a prybar up to 1/2" of the blade. After a few years of experience with what was hot and what was spit on. I ended up with Emersons as my primary brand. 0 failures for me. Linerlock vs Frame lock... Both work fine. The only people that have issues with these form of locking mechanism are ones that think their knives are for designed for spine whacking and battoning. It's a knife, to be used along the sharp side of the blade as intended. Personaly am not a huge fan of framelocks for work due to the fact that I will twist on the handle to make circular cuts through thick cardboard, sheets of plastic and hard rubber. I also fully appreciate the ease of disassembling a Emerson compared to others that I can't even take apart or have some mechanism comprised of a small pieces that I don't like. I am fond of simple things that work. I am also not a fan of slim profile knives, feel like holding a ruler in my hand instead of a knife. I am also a fulltime bicycle mechanic so my work knives will get grease, various oils ( brake, cable, chain and others), solvents and grime on them so a through cleaning will be needed. Blade metal... I was mostly using S30V at one point, wasn't sharpening less often compared to what others have said with their supersteel jargen and spitting on 154CM. Edge strength didn't seem all that different to me for how I use my knives. " I NEED THE LATEST SUPERSTEEL OR I AM SUCH A LOSER" mentality also needs to stop since most users won't even come close to hard usage.

The hype... It is what it is. Mr Emerson has a huge martial arts background so I can't blame the guy for doing what he does and does it well. I would probably do the same. We aren't a bunch of kids so there is no need for all this negativity. Any sensible mature individual will look at a product for what it is, not what someone says unless your a teenager that thinks the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are real.

Don't like it, move on. Buy what you like, not what people tell you to. Pricewise, shop around. Deals are out there and most of mine are purchased NEW in the similar price range as other brands I have considered when I was looking. I buy Emerson knives because I know they work for me better than most and it is a preference from real use as a tool, not a pocket accessory or weapon.

Apparently Europe is not the place to buy an Emerson knife. I paid about 30 bucks more for my Mini CQC15 than I did for my Military. They are both great knives and the F&F on the Emerson was every bit as good as the Military. I guess you could argue that the Emerson does not have nested liners but on the other side the blade grind on the CQC15 is pretty amazing, its not just FFG so to me the value is comparable.

I have never had an issue with an Emerson knife, not one and I am not solely committed to Emerson, so its not the only knife I have ever owned. I have Chris Reeve knives, Spyderco Benchmade and Boker and I am picky about fit and finish and I have had issues with at least 2 of those other brands. The Emerson's I own came perfectly centred well finished and super sharp.

Emerson knives are built to be used and I think if you ever tried one you might just be converted. If not ... at least you will have an opinion based on your own personal experience. In the mean time, seeing as you have never even held one, why would you come to the Emerson forum to go off about it. Go crap on someone else's parade.

Why can't people just appreciate these knives for what they were intended for. Hard use tools with a side of excellent customer service. It's not everyday you can call a company and have a real person pick up on the 2nd ring. Fit and finish on these knives are great. If someone wants titanium flamed parts and hard to remove torx screws for $1000.00 then fine, buy away. Fancy boys need not apply, please let us enjoy our American made bad assery.

FWIW... I have a very small number of high end knives that I cannot bring myself to use. I also now have a small number of Emersons that I just love to use and abuse. I like these knives, like using them and like how they sharpen up after cutting wire etc... I have had no fit or finish issues with them at all.

Great knives for the price in my opinion.

Oh, and I really really like the wave feature...

Slim

Why can't people just appreciate these knives for what they were intended for. Hard use tools with a side of excellent customer service. It's not everyday you can call a company and have a real person pick up on the 2nd ring. Fit and finish on these knives are great. If someone wants titanium flamed parts and hard to remove torx screws for $1000.00 then fine, buy away. Fancy boys need not apply, please let us enjoy our American made bad assery.

You post makes me think you understand the product, purpose, OOHRAH.

Has been a very long time since I visited the blade forum, Emerson sub-sorum, or had anything to contribute that was not something someone else had already said.

My Emerson, Emerson's have not had to make a trip back to California for any reason, they just keep doing what they were designed for without a hickup.

Hope everyone else is have the same expierences.

Back