Five pins instead of Four?

20120323IMG_7092-vi.jpg

20120323IMG_7082-vi.jpg

20120323IMG_7095-vi.jpg

There is a lot of creative decision making that determines where the leading edge of the scale is positioned. This is Cody's (AKA La Chain) job. He take the blanks I have ground and Kyle has glue prepped and fits them with handles. The front of the scale depends on scale material and what you want shown, bolsters, pin location, position of the grind, etc. All these factors are hand work, and Cody shapes the leading edges based on these. I think he is very good at this. I've been noticing lately that I don't have any little things I would have done differently. Each time a new person gets this job, its a back and forth process between myself and that person to learn how I want them set. Good job Sir La Chain.
Thanks Andy!

I recognize most of these but being a relative newcomer to Fiddleback (2+ years) I have never even seen pictures of the soda pop or ankle bracelet pin patterns before. I'm guessing there aren't too many of them out there. Thanks for sharing some intermediate steps in the current designs progression.

This thread is really cool. I don't know of any other maker or prodco that will take the time to answer questions and detail not only how things are done but also who has specific involvement in their knife designing and making process.

FbF #1 :thumbsup:

Back